Review: 2023 - Club Discussion and Analysis

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    #1401 Section 107, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    Also, keep in mind they really do not want more seating so (I) do not expect to see us getting a 30k+ seat stadium.

Remember that financial growth for the team and league does not lie in more butts in seats - it lies in "broadcast" revenue sharing and always has. That is why almost all (and especially new) MLS stadia are in the 25-30k seat range. This way they are purposely, with malice aforethought, able to manufacture scarcity and drive up per seat revenue on a game by game basis (dynamic pricing - thanks TikatDICKtator!) and thereby force more eyeballs to streaming.

Yes, 5k more seats will provide for more local revenue, which is important, but not nearly as important league-wide revenue sharing.

It is, after all, not sport - it is entertainment bidness.

Streaming is why we will see MLS become a top 10 league in terms of player talent in the next 15-20 years - when the current appletv deal expires and the next deal is worth $6,000 - $7,500 million instead of the current paltry $2,500 million. When they are getting that kind of cash, team budgets will rise as well (thank you, mlspa) and then we should see quality footy on a week in week out basis. :)

tallguy, Hedbal and revelation repped this.
  2. KasperOut

KasperOut Member

DC United
    United States
    Sep 24, 2023
  3. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    One of the really stupid initial restrictions imposed on the club was not being allowed to build out over the sidewalk on their side of the road. Could this be one of the things they're trying to change?

4. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Look for expansion upwards with no escalators.

5. KasperOut

KasperOut Member

DC United
    United States
    Sep 24, 2023
    I wonder what he discovered while googling: “expansion for half-full stadium”?

superdave, DCU, GlennAA11 and 1 other person repped this.
  6. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Back in the day when the stadium was being built and they were trying to sell me season tickets I attended one of the events at the Union Market sales center. My friends and I asked a lot of questions about the stadium design and its shortcomings. The person we were talking to (I can't recall who it was, but he was an executive with the club) basically admitted that some things like a roof all the way around were just not technically going to be possible from an engineering standpoint. Of course if you have a big enough pile of money you can do lots of things, but the message was pretty clear to me that they did not expect to add much to the place.

Most of the new stadiums in the 18-21K range. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Soccer_stadiums

But given how many empty seats there are at pretty much every DCU match I wonder why they think they need 5000 more. But I suppose if they can sucker the District into paying for it, why not? Doesn't seem likely though.

7. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    One other basic design flaw of Audi Field is that a conscious decision was made to take away big sections of normal seating for smaller sections of extremely high priced premium seating.

sitruc, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  8. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    empty seats does not necessarily equal unsold seats... for DCU games, anyway.

But remember that EagleBankArenaEast is home to several other teams and many events that do not have significant media rights deals so butts-in-seats (BIS) is all important for revenue (tickets and advertising). Higher capacity also adds to the ability to draw more events.

majspike, superdave, ImNumberTen and 2 others repped this.
  9. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Yes, of course, because it's like premium seating on an airplane - the margin on premium seating is around 5x or more than for "normal" seating.

Ex. The largest area of "normal" seating behind the south goal (opposite the SG end) has an average price of $50 while the average midfield C-section seats are $324. I don't care how expert one is at pre-gaming - no one is eating/.drinking $270 worth of "Andres-curated, Levy-cooked" chicken fingers/mac&cheese/brownies and draft beer/wine for each game.

In comparison, the prime West-side midfield seats average $81 while Most of the sideline and field level suites average more than $500 per ticket (but hey, that does include even more Andres-curated, Levy-cooked chicken fingers, too).

sitruc, PSURoss, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  10. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW in an interview last year Levien said he wanted to add more roofing, Goff said he thought that mean finishing the existing roof and adding additional coverage.

11. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    yes, and they actually did it, before the beginning of this past season. Promises kept!

(of course, some fans experienced the execution of the project as a analogy to the actual play on the field...)

sitruc, Alejandro 10 and PSURoss repped this.
  12. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    onefineesq, DCU, Alejandro 10 and 7 others repped this.
  13. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QuietSide and Winoman repped this.
  14. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    holy heck, talk about burying the lede: look who they are whispering about in the coaching search:

Potential candidates include former MLS head coaches Robin Fraser (Colorado), Giovanni Savarese (Portland), Bruce Arena (D.C., New York Red Bulls, Los Angeles Galaxy and New England Revolution) and Caleb Porter (Portland, Columbus).

Also under consideration, according to one person familiar with the search, is Domènec Torrent, who guided New York City FC to MLS’s second-best regular season record in 2019.

Since leaving NYCFC, the 61-year-old Spaniard has coached Brazil’s Flamengo and Turkey’s Galatasaray. Between 2007 and ’18, Torrent was a chief assistant to Pep Guardiola at FC Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Manchester City.

According to another person familiar with the process, United might also consider Mark Warburton, who has coached Scotland’s Glasgow Rangers and England’s Brentford, Nottingham Forest and Queens Park Rangers. Most recently, he was a West Ham assistant before departing last summer.

In my mind, "under consideration" means "DCU has recruited and is awaiting a reply." I wonder if we could get the coach who had a winning record at Birmingham City...I hear he is available.

15. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    The much-needed housecleaning getting underway is certainly a good thing. But there's only so much dead weight they can clear out at once I suppose.

Porter is a total dick. So I presume that's who we'll end up with. Seems very interesting that no one has been willing to sign him since his latest firing.

sitruc, onefineesq, Yowza and 3 others repped this.
  16. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Under consideration" could very well mean, "This guy was mentioned in a brainstorming session by our interns" as well given how this team has been run.

sitruc, KasperOut, Yowza and 2 others repped this.
  17. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    more woofing !!

Winoman repped this.
  18. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea who imposed that restriction and why? The Army (Fort McNair) for security reasons?

19. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Yes, Title 11 of the DC Municipal Regulations and the associated zoning codes which specify the distance of the setbacks from the public street line.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but other than the portion of the west facade of the Kennedy Center that hangs over Rock Creek Parkway along the Potomac, I am not recalling other buildings where the upper level of the building sticks out significantly over the sidewalk or other parts of the setback.

Aside from aesthetic reasons for having consistent setbacks - the other purpose is for firefighting/rescue operations.

But they are not going to expand the footprint of the building. The stadium design included expansion of about 5k more seats - the space for the additional seats is already in the stadium. Leviathan is just trying to glom on to the scam of Leonsis and the Lerners getting the taxpayers to pay for their desired "updates."

sitruc and griffin1108 repped this.
  20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll take Porter maybe Fraser

21. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad list, TBF.

tallguy repped this.
  22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess if you removed that dirt-bag cheater Savarese from it.
    I'd also prefer Porter to not be on it, we have already dodged that bullet once already, but I would not boo him from the stands like I would Savarese.

Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also seem to have hired, or offered, the asst GM job to someone from Orlando.

24. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Shreve formerly was a criminal defense attorney. Maybe they're bringing back Ravel.

Wyrm2, revelation, SoccerMullet and 3 others repped this.