2023-24 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Nov 29, 2023.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The options declined do give us a chance to be quite a bit younger. Replace them with youngsters and we are, I mean, not young, but not really ancient

2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can any of the teams he’d be wanted in pay him $620,000 a year? I can’t see him getting a comparable offer anywhere outside the Big 5 and I don’t see him attracting a lot of big 5 interest. That contract is a pair of gold/velvet handcuffs

3. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100 percent. It would have been nice to give them a proper sendoff after the stL win.

The last Wizards. Sounds like a movie.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t plan on it.

5. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Eh, maybe, maybe not. It's a very political answer.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The problem with Vermes answer there is that it assumes the folks who want to get younger would be happy if he replaced Zusi and Espinoza, and Guti and really McIntosh, with the bestest U-12 players from some random Jackson County pay to play club.
    There are a lot of U-23 players around globally who could be more productive than Zusi and Roger in 2023. There are younger keepers on our roster who could be as or more productive than McIntosh.
    I would like us to get both younger and better. I think finding players at the peak Roger and Zusi level is really hard to do, but they have not been peak them for years. Upgrading over guys who really didn't offer much in the last couple years should not be a bridge too far.
    One question about those who have left:
    WTF happened between PV and Duke? It had to be something, right? I'm not convinced he's better than USL (I think he might be, and does have that potential). But jeebus he fell fast and hard.

7. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. He could see out his contract, but he will just become soured if he sits on the bench. If they guy has skills and potential then the coaching staff needs to develop him further. Can you imagine making that kind of money to sit behind Shelton?

8. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wants out and is pursuing options.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering he's been losing his spot in the Cyprus national team lately (hasn't been called into the last 2 camps)...

10. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    My son talked with Roger this weekend. He doesn’t want to retire and will look at available options.

11. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm worried that a lack of a retirement announcement from Zusi means the same thing for him.

Shades of Besler all over again, which is making me real grumpy.

12. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a hard time accepting Besler in an Austin FC kit, but it would be really tough for me to see either Roger or Zusi in a different MLS kit. I wouldn't have a problem if Roger elected to go back to Honduras and play in the league there but I don't think that would ever happen.

13. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would really suck to see either of these guys in another jersey.

14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Fair point Ben, I could stomach them going and playing in another league, or dropping down a division or two in the US. That's not my preference but it's understandable--I really have no right to demand when and where these guys retire.

But to see Espinoza in an Orlando jersey or Zusi in a Nashville one or something? That would be pretty galling, and I don't think they'd be much happier about it than I would be.

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Neither Roger nor Zusi brings much to an MLS roster. Is there a new expansion team this year? There isn't, is there? Besler made sense for Austin as a locker room presence. Who in MLS is looking for that sort of presence today? I guess Roger is a Denver kid, so maybe the Rapids might like to have him in as an example of a dedicated pro, that sort of thing. but neither of them is going somewhere to play a substantial role on the field.
    Zusi was an almost everyday star, 2900 minutes a season guy. That started dipping, then in 22 dropped significantly to 1784, then this year to 960, and when he wasn't playing it was because his body cannot take as much as it used to.
    They could drop to USL, or indoor soccer.
    They had great careers.
    It's really sad, but they are both done, and it's obvious when they do play, it's just not there anymore.

16. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roger's wife, Lo, plays here, though. I just don't see him moving.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't be the first couple to spend the season in different cities.

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to try not to share my own tweets if I can avoid it, but to keep people from having to listen to find it:

19. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Any idea if its money related or he just wants a change of scenery?

20. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Two recent SKC examples are the (former) Dwyer's and Mr.and Mrs. Alex Morgan.

If he still wants to play, another MLS will give Espinoza a one year. Same with Zeus.

I'm hoping that if they want to keep playing they pull on a Comets jersey.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard nothing concrete, no.

22. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Kinda is a very fun, good player and I'd like to have him back. On the other hand, he's honestly a bit replaceable.

23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kinda doesn't have free agent status is MLS, does he?
    Again, I don't see Kinda moving to a big 5 team. and no one else really matches his kind of salary, so the guess would be either there's a deal to be made and he stays in MLS, or the salary cut he was offered was significant, and he can get the same as the new offer in a move to Greece or Belgium or someplace like those leagues. I mean, yeah, the Israeli Prem is playing, so he could go home but that would mean the SKC offer really sucks, heading to a war zone.

BenDover repped this.
  24. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a good player that does some things no one else on the team does, but I agree that he can be replaced. He didn't play a ton this year, didn't play at all in 2022, and that lack of availability doesn't help his case. He's a between 0-5 goals and between 5-10 assist guy per season when healthy. That can be replaced.

I'd like to see something closer to a real 10 who can breakdown defenses and feed the front three, who all can score goals. Another Benny, or similar, would be nice.

25. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A one year, yeah, but Roger was on $85k. It will be that kind of one year offer. Would you move for that?