2023-24 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Nov 29, 2023.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good speed, great engine. Nice touch and instincts. He looks in highlights like a good MLS fit.

2. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy looks OK in the Norway Elitsarien. Anybody know what level of play is like in that league? SKC could sure use some help in the midfield, but I hope there is also some defenders in the negotiation pipeline.

3. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yohan Croizet's highlights look great too.

For reference, MLS 13 and Norway Elitsarien 23. Seems like its comparable to the J and K leagues. https://worldsoccertalk.com/news/top-soccer-leagues-in-the-world/

mschofield repped this.
  4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    True, but I'm not sure how the league rankings apply on a single case. the top club in Norway, on that same site, is ranked as significantly better than the top club in MLS. MLS benefits because unlike most leagues, it is set up with the notion that everyone should have a chance to win. As Marx insisted, equality of opportunity. though, as he also said, idiots gonna idiot, so equality of outcome is impossible.
    A couple things that point in Yazbek's favor: 1. He's an 8, or at times a 6. I love this. His signing would tell me major changes are coming. 2. His value has increased from $350k to $2,5m in the last year. There is buzz. 3. He has cracked the Austrailian nats. So, you know, we'd have a national team player beyond just Cyprus.
    Also, don't mess with the Yohan! His SKC highlight reel would make him look like a worldie, wouldn't it?

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, is Yohan our fallback?

8. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's hilarious if true.

I'm all in on getting foolishly hopeful based on changes to the roster. Like, I'm a huge fan of getting overly wound up about transfers and rumors. If we dud this window though? Yikes.

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, the SKC rumor came out of Australian media, apparently. I can see someone hearing the rumor about a city he's barely heard of, Nashville, and confusing it with another city he knows nothing about. This is, accorind to nettavision, a U-22 signing. So he'd have been a disaster if he joined SKC

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas interested in another SKC player?

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Sam's article he mentions that PV has 2 TAM targets for the summer window.

mschofield repped this.
  12. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does this have to be so difficult?

13. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben Wright shared his view of all MLS teams and their depth chart. Player groupings include "Elite", "High Level Starter", "Average MLS starter", "Rotation", Development bench, unproven MLS player.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...hHbGkAi76RdiDv7CVS8aSGMsoYdclt/pubhtml?pli=1#

Not a single Elite player. Only one "high level" starter that starts (Thommy) and one "high level" starter that is the second option at No. 9 (Agada). All other players are MLS average (could be improved) or rotational players (concerns if starting regularly). While I would argue with some of his classifications, I agree with most.

Summary, a roster full of MLS average (at best) starters that are backed up by a lot of really poor quality rotational players.

Oh, and the only team where both the CSO and Manager are the same person.

Kooth and BenDover repped this.
  14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, looking at the setups and fact that of our 3 DPs, two are TAM-able, SKC can chose to add a DP and U-22, or add 2 DPs this summer

15. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Doyle actually paid us some attention in his transfer targets piece yesterday.

His statement on our main need? Dumping Pulido. He thinks we could sell him but I wish I were so optimistic. If we sold him we could literally open up three DP slots (maybe not till the off-season, not sure how mid-season buy-downs work). Probably wouldn't save our season even if we brought in three real stars, but maybe we'll see a start to the inevitable rebuild over this next month?

16. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That would be one first huge move for the Burns era. I'm pressing X to doubt for it happening though. Who wants to pay for an aging striker that isn't striking and will PV make that move essentially admitting that the contract renewal last year was a huge mistake?

Maybe they can scapegoat Bliss for it.

17. Kooth

Kooth Member

Sporting KC
    Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the MLS rules are byzantine then the few who do understand the MLS rules have an advantage.

18. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Peter has been saying for some time that Bliss was in charge of contract renewals and that he hated doing that part himself. Bliss might already have been scapegoated for this very contract issue, hence the firing

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was told a story about Bliss that I think I've shared in part about an academy player who was doing pretty well at the time with SKCII and he was asked why KC wasn't looking to sign him to a HGP deal. Bliss's comment was something to the extent of "why he's not going anywhere any time soon." Well the player did leave, since leaving the player hasn't done as well as he did here but it's beside the point. That's when I firmly started believing Bliss had to go, long before I ever jumped on the PV needed to go bandwagon.

20. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    Yes, Bliss has been cast as the problem. Which certainly has some truth. The question is what % of the problem was Bliss vs Vermes (player decisions) vs Reid (budget). All things considered, it doesn't take too much effort to see a pretty consistent string of 'not quite good enough' for Bliss across multiple MLS orgs and roles despite having enough friends in the business trying to make it work for him.

Still and all, regardless of anything, the three transfer window the clock is ticking for everyone now involved.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How bad does it suck that our biggest transfer need is to dump our star DP?

I like Pulido. Have often remarked that he has a very high level of technical skill. Those are the players I like to watch.

After watching him battle in the playoff game vs RSL (2021) with a bum knee, my son remarked that he thought Shelton played the 9 better that game. Shelton was a late game sub for Pulido, who played that entire year on a bad knee. A warrior season, but letting him play for a year on a bum knee was medical malpractice.

23. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    And that Doyle - from the MLS establishment - is stating this means that he likely is being fed this idea from SKC. Maybe it's a trial balloon to see how people react. While I had considered a buy-out for Pulido something that simply would not happen, that it's getting some play could mean it's at least being considered.

24. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think that's a little over-conspiratorial. If his assessment weren't spot-on accurate, maybe. But since he's totally right and is a competent analyst, my guess is he just finally paid more than a tiny modicum of attention to SKC and arrived there naturally.

lukeD, Buzz Killington and dgb09 repped this.
  25. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even at his best, I believed Pulido was a bad fit for SKC and even worse when they extended his contract. I absolutely agree that playing him on a bad knee was stupid, and then letting him play a national team game for Mexico on that bad knee was even worse. Was the pressure to win by playing their record high signing on a bad knee so important that they risk the guy’s career? Basically, there is very little chance of selling him. No team wants a high dollar guy that is slow, can’t hold the ball, makes bad passes, and can’t defend. Unfortunately, SKC is stuck with the guy and when he’s done in KC, he will be done with soccer.