2023-24 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Nov 29, 2023.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Vargas' impressive cameo v TFC and Voloder's impressive string of matches are making me rethink my take on our roster.
    I still think we have too many wasted spots, occupied by players in whom vermes has no faith. But Salloi, Pulido, JFR, Agada and now with Vargas means we have depth along the front line. I'd like to see Vargas get the start this weekend if we return to the 4-3-3. I'd really like to see more 4-2-3-1 with Pulido at the 10, but not sure he'll be healthy.
    Memo is a solid backup, and FH looked lively this weekend, so add them to Thommy, Walter, Radoja and that's not bad depth.
    And I am really loving our backline 4. Leibold has been really good recently. I put some of that down to the fact that Voloder is Fontas with speed, so an upgrade and that allows Tim to trust his runs more freely because there is defensive cover behind him. Rosero is excellent and Davis is a f'ing god. Fontas as depth, and KP is an impressive player when he gets the chance, so the depth doesn't totally suck.
    As I've noted, I am not at all sure we can count on Melia at 38 (in a month) but he's been good so far. Does our GK depth have any confidence?

Blando13 repped this.
  2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's ready for SKC to buy down a DP so they only have 2 and then pocket some more GAM!

3. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2 DPs AND they can get another U22! The first crop of U22s was so successful, why not add more.

mschofield repped this.
  4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    TBF, Ndembe is a find, and Voloder is playing like a starting CB. Not MLS top 10 among starters, but not bottom 10, either. He's a solid, just below average, MLS CB starter, IMO. With experience, he should push to above average.
    But yeah, Tzonis, wow, it's just sad. In his defense, I think he's played well enough to be in consideration. but I also suspect he drown Vermes dog and made him watch. Hmmm. Re-watching Dexter, so that might be a bit too dark...

5. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the U22s I think
    Ndenbe is very good. Currently a high quality MLS starter. Could grow into an All Star.

Voloder is OK. Currently an adequate MLS backup that could grow into a starter.

Tzionis. Badly mismanaged. Could have made an impact as a rotational wing but won't be here after his contract expires.

SKC did OK with the U22s but I wonder how many of these players will be here next season.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hmmm, loaning a player to another MLS Next side seems like a way of saying goodbye

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, tells me they have no plans for him with their own team so getting him somewhere else.

10. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It really is sad.

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Also, while he missed all of last season, am I wrong in thinking it had nothing to do with the fact that he now needs a knee replacement? This seems like it was happening regardless of the achilles injury. Maybe I don't understand medicine enough. OTOH, I did watch House.
    His quote after surgery:
    Absolutely heart broken…I tore my achilles this past week in a preseason scrimmage. Surgery went well and I’m anxious to get started on rehab! Not much else to say… but just know, I WILL BE BACK! Just want to thank everyone who has reached out… Means more than you know!

— Kortne Ford (@KortFord) February 11, 2023

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the recovery from the surgery exacerbated the lingering knee issues he had? I mean he missed a lot of time during his time with both KC and CO with knee issues. I too am not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

mschofield repped this.
  15. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to guess his knee replacement is due to his many knee issues, and not his Achilles rupture. Poor guy has been in MLS since 2017, went three full years with zero appearances, and only played 12 MLS games since the 2018 season. Some players are just unlucky or have bodies that weren't meant to play soccer. Reminds me of the Inter Miami player (Ian Fray) with three ACL injuries. At some point, you need a trusted person to tell you its time to move on. Looks like Ford finally got the right advice.

upload_2024-4-19_9-28-13.png

upload_2024-4-19_9-28-42.png

mschofield repped this.
  16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why are we so hamstrung on player budget? Our salaries don't seem any higher than other clubs. I mean, we aren't getting anything out of $1.2m for Shelton and Tzonis (though the cap hit on tzone is $200,000 or something).
    Also, if I read our numbers right, we really only have Pulido on DP numbers. We can add a DP, and a fourth U-22, and use the $2m GAM to buy down Thommy's almost but not quite DP wages

17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, I hadn't noticed this before, so sorry if it's common knowledge, but was checking TM on EPB and saw that he's missed this entire season with bone marrow swelling?
    Does he have cancer?

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So Doyle and Twellman have both now said SKC has a big summer incoming transfer.
    I look at our roster and can make an argument for several different positions.
    Most likely, 10 or attacking wing.
    Given the smirkyness of Twellman's tweet on the matter, I get the sense that it's a name we know.
    Has anyone seen any rumors? I know there was a big rumor about Greizmann a year, based on a photo at a football game, but while a stunning player, still, and having dropped in value from $150m to $25m he's still on 21 goals and 8 assists in La Liga, though all comps and he fits Vermes wish list, being 33 years old.
    I don't see this as even a little likely, so who else would make Twellmann smirk? are we back to Ronaldo?

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Actually, thinking about this, is this why we are keeping Pulido at the 10? We're letting him grow into the role until someone huge arrives for the 9? Have we switched to a 4-2-3-1 because that's what best suits the one who will not be named?

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greizmann was never a "real" rumor it was 100% speculation b/c he's a Chiefs fan and Mahomes is an owner.

mschofield repped this.
  21. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm betting the "big announcement" is another 5yr extension for PV.

IASocFan, KCFutbol, Kooth and 1 other person repped this.
  22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah. that tracks. tie him through what, 2035?

23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'd say it was a rumor. It got around, but it died quickly because it wasn't ever going to happen.
    But you saw Twellman's tweet. It kind of screamed, I've got a scoop, neener neener, and it's a big deal. and Doyle seemed convinced that it would be big
    Probably either Mbappe or Halaand. right?

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Twellman has a "line" to Mike Illig, or someone that actually gives him information, cause remember he had the Thommy and Agada news before anyone. I have no doubt that he knows something. And because Twellman came out and said it others like Doyle are coming out and saying it's common knowledge that they're going to make a big move.

I (and I think all of us) expected a move this summer, but I don't think any of us expected a "big name" that it feels like Twellman is implying until he said something.

25. Kooth

Kooth Member

Sporting KC
    Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe he is reassuming the duties the failed hiring did not fill. I'll take any bump that some new talent brings to the club this summer but it will not be a long term solution to the underlying problem.