2023-24 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by SAS_Soccer, Jun 10, 2023.

1. socalkdg

socalkdg New Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Feb 15, 2023
    Your not wrong. ;)

Fitballer repped this.
  2. BigBear

BigBear Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Texas A&M CC - They've been bang average for a few years now, not sure why that justifies a Hot Seat position.

Niagara has had 4 winning seasons in a row and I'm pretty sure they recently had their best season in a long, long time. Absolutely no idea why you have them up there.

FIU is in the middle of the breakout season he needed. Unless they fall off a cliff, should not be on any list.

Utah is fine. Only his 3rd season and maybe "warm" if they don't have a respectable Pac12 schedule, but they've gotten some good results in his time there. Some lopsided games also, but against the likes of BYU, Stanford, and UCLA, I don't think that hurts too much.

Has been said recently but I'll reiterate - If you (anyone) are going to put a list of schools/coaches out there who you think are close to getting fired, have the decency to put some justification as to why. Some might be obvious but still, "show your work".

3. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    No.

4. Byu77

Byu77 Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Nov 21, 2021
    Utah’s seat isn’t even remotely warm.. that’s a huge stretch.

LimestoneKid and Carolina92 repped this.
  5. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    If Utah finish this season with the same record as last season, this job goes from not being remotely warm to hot. On a different note, where are all posters calling for the removal of the coaching staff at Towson? Third straight winning season since new staff started. Sure doesn’t seem like a place where you can’t have some success.

6. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Towson head coach is not a good coach. She was smart to hire a couple assistants that are pretty good and also smart enough to read the emails of Maryland transfers when they want to come back to the area. She gets credit as the HC for their improved record but not a place I would recommend if "having a good connection with the coach" is at all important to the player. I think most folks in that area are of the mindset that "it's about time" with Towson. Loyola in Balt is also finally living up to expectations there but UMBC is still awful but only first year coach starting from scratch really. UMD is still in some transition and not exactly landing all the best Maryland kids. One of the Towson starters already went in and back out of the UMD program under the new coach there.

I know a recruit who set up a visit with Towson and the HC just missed the appointment and was not on campus and could not meet with her.....didn't get that good player.

7. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    I agree with you, but whatever is going on at Towson now is better than what was going on in the past. Smart enough to hire the right staff. Wasn't all that long ago UMBC were in the NCAA tournament, it can be done there too, guess we will see.

8. socalkdg

socalkdg New Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Feb 15, 2023
    Weber made the mistake of having coaches daughters on the roster (head coach and keeper coach) and getting playing time. Not good for player moral. Reminds me of club soccer with the dad coaching the team.

ilikecollegesoccer and LimestoneKid repped this.
  9. Underminer

Underminer Member

Spurs
    England
    Dec 29, 2022
    Weber AD is the former head soccer coach… promoted a former assistant when he got the job, so, would think he has a fairly long leash but no insight.

Sports Addict repped this.
  10. WSOCFan

WSOCFan Member

Arsenal
    Brazil
    Feb 26, 2023
    Here are my thoughts on some of the mid-majors. The league/conference that they play in and how many losing seasons they have had in a row (includes this season so far).

MAC- Eastern Michigan & Central Michigan (2nd).

Summit League- NDSU(4th), Kansas City (5th), St. Thomas (3rd).

Big Sky- Weber State (2nd I think), Portland State (6+), Northern Colorado (2nd).

Horizon- Green Bay (2nd), Detroit Mercy (5th).

Missouri Valley- Belmont (2nd), Murray State (2nd), Evansville (2nd) and UIC (3rd).

I believe that all of these should be hot or at least warm.

*I do not know anything about what year the coaches are at in their contracts.

11. Youth Soccer7

Youth Soccer7 Member

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Sep 13, 2022
    Ugh! On point with Towson. I would add the recruiting class of the present seniors saved some jobs there with that staff. If some key players in this senior class do not take the fifth year option, it's back to pre 2020 for that program which was not good.

12. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    St. Thomas is just now in the 3rd year of transitioning from D3 to D1. I doubt that the coach is on the hot seat.

13. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Belmont coach just got the job this season so she’s not hot at all!

14. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Broken record here...more than likely, none of these are hot/warm. It's nearly a guarantee that mid-majors will not be firing any coach based on a W/L record. Tons more go into their decisions than a losing season or seasons. Contracts are more valuable to them than that.

If there's openings at these, it's most likely due to a coach leaving on his/her own OR a contract not being renewed. Sure, one could claim it's hot/warm thus leading to a contract not being renewed, but that's not typically a "hot seat" discussion point.

This also directly impacts P5 schools too. Not everyone is out there offering buyouts because of losing seasons.

First Time Finish, ytrs and BigBear repped this.
  15. BigBear

BigBear Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see any thoughts, just you listing teams with some losing records and that their seats are warm or hot - can't even differentiate which. Weber and PSU, for some reason, you're not even sure about the number of losing seasons they've had....

ytrs and LimestoneKid repped this.
  16. Kraude1316

Kraude1316 New Member

Southampton
    United States
    Dec 14, 2017
    St Thomas has told coaches if they aren’t competitive they will not renew and add coaches with successful D1 experience as contracts expire.

Well at Green Bay the admin came in and met with players (without coaches present) because they have had so many complaints about the coaching. My guess is that the seat is at least warm.

Sports Addict and WSOCFan repped this.
  17. WSOCFan

WSOCFan Member

Arsenal
    Brazil
    Feb 26, 2023
    Do you know if St. Thomas is on a 3 or 4 year contract? 3rd straight losing season in her transition to D1. Either she is out this year or next year.

Does Green Bay wait until the season ends to make a change or do they do the same as George Mason?

18. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Just a thought. Not every coach is on a guaranteed contract. Some are year to year. Some may have contracts that are multiple years but not guaranteed. 30 days at will contracts.

ThePonchat and Fitballer repped this.
  19. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Green Bay has been a mess for a number of years now. It just seems they can’t get a good coach there but Wisconsin isn’t the most desirable area of the country I suppose.

st Thomas- they’re new to division I how is that seat hot?

LimestoneKid repped this.
  20. LimestoneKid

LimestoneKid Member

Edmonton Drillers
    Canada
    Dec 22, 2022
    Right?!

It seems like UW-GB may have made a poor choice with this HC but it's historically been a tough place to recruit to. (I have a close friend who used to be on staff there.) It's not easy finding top-quality, student-athletes who are going to thrive in the Green Bay environment, to say nothing of the weather. Maybe the Administration needs to do a better job of explaining to potential candidates the reality of the situation and better define the expectations.

As for Saint Thomas, they're in year 3 of their transition from DIII to DI and the entire women's side of the Athletic Department is struggling, at least v-ball and b-ball as well as the men's soccer program, are no where near to the dominant programs that they were in DIII. Hopefully the Administration, Athletic Department and University, have more patience for the development of the program than some posters on this forum do.

Fitballer, BigBear and PlaySimple repped this.
  21. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Moving from D3 to D1 is not easy and I'm pretty sure that St Thomas doing so was football-driven.

Johns Hopkins plays lacrosse at the D1 level and is a member of the Big 10 in that sport. The other sports at JHU are D3. I wonder why other schools, ie, St Thomas, don't consider similar arrangements.

Fitballer repped this.
  22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Thomas got kicked out of their DIII conference, "for being too dominant." Initially looking DII, the Summit League wooed St Thomas in.

Their football competes in the Pioneer League, which is a non-scholarship FCS conference.

When the move happened, their biggest benefactor gave $75m to athletics (basketball/hockey venue), announced in the building they put $60m toward to build.

In it's first DI year, they went nearly -$6m in athletic budget, but donors and institution support balanced the books.

Footyballs, Fitballer and LimestoneKid repped this.
  23. WSOCFan

WSOCFan Member

Arsenal
    Brazil
    Feb 26, 2023
    NDSU, St. Thomas, Stetson, FGCU(retiring), FIU, Southern Miss, Green Bay, UIC, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Detroit Mercy, Portland State, Northern Colorado, Weber State, Kansas City and many, many more. This is the hot seat thread and there will be a lot of turnover after this season!

24. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FGCU coach is retiring? When and where is this news coming from?

WSOCFan repped this.
  25. WSOCFan

WSOCFan Member

Arsenal
    Brazil
    Feb 26, 2023
    Yup. This year or next year for sure. Depends how he wants to go out.