2023-24 England Referee Thread [EPL/EFL/Cups+][Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Jul 28, 2023.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a suboptimal series of events:

England never looks sure of himself. And, yeah, that's not a penalty at this level.

Thegreatwar repped this.
  2. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way he remembered Gordon was on one. That was incredible.

Of course, it's a point of emphasis that was rigidly enforced for 5-6 weeks and then again in week 30 after a several month hiatus, so Gordon can have no excuse. He had to know that such behavior, which didn't actually delay the restart, would be arbitrarily punished at that point because Jones reflexively remembered something he was told last July. Totally on Gordon.

Cop Shoot Cop repped this.
  3. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I think it was a Jon Moss memo!

4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm aware of my Spurs bias but the Chelsea PK is something. Spurs are the most fouled team and have the 3rd most touches in the opposition penalty area this season (behind City and Arsenal). Spurs have one PK this season. Chelsea have nine.

SCV-Ref repped this.
  5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Everything you said is true. But it’s also disappointing the a player of Gordon’s quality put himself in that position.

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Coote has been fine in the first half of Liverpool/Brighton (15 fouls, 2 cards) but everytime the camera shows his face he looks like a deer in the headlights.

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck to Taylor and co in the "Biggest Game of the Season" (TM)

AremRed repped this.
  8. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    3’ in and he’s already decided not to punish SPA

9. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's been a couple that would have probably been a caution in 9 out of 10 PL matches this weekend.

10. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Taylor’s game plan is clearly to only give the most obvious cards. Little bit of player frustration but good plan I think.

11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's helped the game to have so many tactical fouls go unpunished. I think we're at 26 fouls so far with no cautions (besides the two for delaying restart).

12. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Obviously not, but it works for Taylor and works for Webb.

Asking for anything else at this point is just unrealistic.

Mikael_Referee repped this.
  13. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Not sure why players were constantly complaining for cautions to be issued, as if it were their first game in the PL.

Two top teams, but a borefest to watch.

14. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Can I argue that it's Taylor's fault that the game was a borefest? You give obvious yellows, maybe the fouls decrease or opposite - game heats up - and you get something worth watching on the field?

Edit - Just want to acknowledge it is not Taylor's job to make a game exciting. But I do think his approach played a role in that outcome.

RedStar91 and Mikael_Referee repped this.
  15. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    We all already know that.

Even though it's a ref forum, it's not uncommon to make an innocent observation. Team tactics made it boring. Not sure how anyone can take that it was the referees fault from the way the post was written.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's kind of an irony here, though. Taylor and his handlers do believe it's his job to help make the game exciting. At least to the extent possible for a referee to do so. The problem is they largely (and falsely) believe that less visible and affirmative referee involvement is a method toward that ends.

17. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    The referee in the 4/2 match, NEW v. Eve was Tony Harrington. He has done a total of 16 matches this year. Only 6 involving Premier league teams. He’s had Everton 4 times.

The more I see the effect VAR has had on the game, the more I think it impacts referees negatively. Do they just refuse to call things live anymore?

18. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    Based on how EPL fans react to Anthony Taylor and how much everyone hates him, he really can’t win. If he gives out cards or VAR reds, they say that he tries to make himself the spectacle. If he doesn’t give cards (which definitely is how EPL seems to want to lean their games towards), fans say he’s incompetent.

Michael Oliver doesn’t get anywhere near as much hate as Taylor does, not sure why fans hate him so much. I definitely think Oliver is a better referee but Taylor isn’t that far behind

19. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Especially since the first card he had issued to Gordon was less than 15 minutes earlier....

20. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow what a game at Chelsea.

21. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Thoughts on the VAR decision to disallow Schar's goal for Newcastle against Fulham due to a foul on Dan Burn?

Burn leads with a forearm into the back of the defender's neck, the ball flies over both their heads, and Schar then strokes into the net at the near post.

It's the type of contact that is given as a foul more often than not (let's say 60/40) elsewhere on the pitch, but it's arguably not a "clear and obvious error" given that it's not always called, and didn't obviously affect the outcome of the play.

If it's called IRT, I'm fine with it, but I don't think it should be a VAR overrule....

Thoughts....

Irrover repped this.
  22. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He barely nicked the ball, and tripped Jesus. Why isn't this a PK?

Do we have lots of examples of something like this not being given?

24. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Macallister getting kicked in the chest a few weeks ago came to mind in terms of "he got the ball". (That's literally what the VAR used in the clip that got released)

I'm struggling to think of many examples when a PK is given in England on a trip when they've gotten the ball first and then the follow makes contact. In a total vacuum I understand this being a careless trip but years of watching the PL has almost always seen the ref saying no PK when the defender gets a clear touch followed by a careless trip.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Also, this is one of those where the difference between the EPL and other competitions is very clear. Had this not been given on the field, there's no way a VAR would intervene to award it. So despite the facts being crystal clear, PGMOL is fine with either answer on a play like this (and probably prefers no call, to your point). In Italy, France, Spain and elsewhere... you're likely getting one song sheet that the powers that be want everyone singing from.