2023-24 - Arsenal Players on Loan

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CarlosKaiser, Sep 11, 2023.

1. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Last year's thread: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/2022-23-arsenal-players-on-loan.2122434/

First team players:
    Nuno Tavares - Nottingham Forest (EPL)
    Albert Sambi Lokonga - Luton Town (EPL)
    Marquinos - Nantes (Ligue 1)
    Kieran Tierney - Real Sociedad (La Liga)

Runar Alex Runarsson - Cardiff City (Championship)

Youth players:
    Catalin Cirjan - Rapid Bucharest (Romanian 1st division)
    Mika Biereth - Motherwell (Scottish Premiership)

Charlie Patino - Swansea (Championship)
    Brooke Norton-Cuffy - Millwall (Championship)
    Salah-Eddin Oulad M'Hand - Den Bosch (Dutch 2nd division)

Tyreese John-Jules - Derby (League One)
    Nathan Butler-Oyedeji - Cheltenham Town (League One)
    Henry Jeffcoat - Derby (League One)
    Omar Rekik - Wigan (League One)

Mauro Bandeira - Colchester United (League Two)
    Arthur Okonkwo - Wrexham (League Two)

Alex Kirk - Bromley (National League)
    Kido Taylor-Hart - Bromley (National League)

Billy Vigar - Eastbourne Borough (National League South)

Early returns:
    Tierney got a start and went 69 minutes. Nuno came off the bench for Forest vs Chelsea. Marquinos has 3 sub appearances. Runarsson gave up 3 goals in one start.

Patino has 3 starts and 3 assists. Biereth scored a goal off the bench in his only appearance but faces 3 months out with an injury. Cirjan was playing a lot early but hasn't gotten off the bench in the last 3. Bandeira has come off the bench a lot. Norton-Cuffy has 2 starts, Jeffcoat has 3 starts.

The others either haven't played yet or played very minimally.

maskito, chjoak, Jamooky and 1 other person repped this.
  2. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the first team guys except maybe Marquinhos are "in the shop window"
    If I am not mistaken Runarsson is on an expiring contract so he will not be back
    If Patino & Norton-Cuffy have a strong year, they likely either get a shot at 1st team next season or get sold.
    M'Hand, John-Jules, Butler-Oyedeji & Rekik may not last much longer at Arsenal. Rekik & JJ in particular are getting a bit old to be in League One and not dominating.
    Cirjan & Biereth are getting close to the door but still have a bit of time if they can have a solid season.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  3. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanted to note that Arsenal.com lists Arthur Okonkwo as a senior team player.

What exactly is the criteria for being a senior team player? He certainly hasn't played for the senior team (unlike the younger Marquinhos).

4. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    In Okonkwo’s case age. He’s no longer U21. Hillson, who is listed as the third keeper on the Champions League roster hasn’t made a senior appearance for Arsenal either, but he also is no longer U21. Okonkwo, at least, has a preseason appearance last summer or the summer before, Hillson doesn’t even have a preseason appearance.

5. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I made up my own criteria based on vibes.

At one time, Arsenal would formally promote academy players to the 1st team at the beginning of each season but they haven't done that recently.

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    By all accounts, Patino is killing it and running the midfield at the swans

CarlosKaiser, mebeSajid and maskito repped this.
  7. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Not great for future resale value

8. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Better news, Patino goal

maskito repped this.
  9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This needs a NSFW tag.

Serengeti_Boy and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  10. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Thats some Carlos Vela shit right there.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  11. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Man and we want to sell him?

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He could actually get minutes with the injuries we have had

13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say want to. Rumor was that he was pushing for a move similar to Balogun.

14. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
  15. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Nuno made 3 appearances in the league, but has been left out of the squad or an unused sub for the last 7 PL matches.

Sambi made 2 league starts but has been injured and has not played since September.

Marquinos made 5 appearances but hasn't been in the squad since September, either.

Tierney hurt his hamstring but returned to the bench in Sociedad's last match.

Runarsson has made 2 starts but mostly been on the bench.

Overall, these loans have been a disaster. I'll follow up in another post with youth updates.

NorthBank repped this.
  16. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Cirjan started off well and playing a lot but has been on the bench and used as a sub more recently, only 72 minutes in his last 12 matches.

Biereth missed 6 matches with an injury but has seen been starting and scoring, with 4 goals total on the season.

Patino has been playing regularly with a goal and 4 assists, but recently got sent off with a second yellow in only 30 minutes.

Norton-Cuffy has started 12 of 14 matches, subbed on in the other 2. Listed as playing RB and RM.

Oulad M'Hand didn't play much but has made a couple starts recently. Rekik and Jeffcott have been mostly starters. John-Jules and Bandeira are injured. Butler-Oyedeji has been mostly a sub. Taylor-Hart and Kirk have mostly been left out of the squad. Okonkwo is the regular keeper for Rob and Ryan, look forward to seeing him on season 3 of Welcome to Wrexham.

17. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the past week, Lokonga has started in Luton wins over Newcastle and Sheffield United. Here’s hoping he stays injury-free and continues to get experience to build up his value. Doubt there is a future place for him in our squad, so hopefully this builds up a good transfer price we can reinvest elsewhere.

NorthBank repped this.
  18. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Of note, in addition to his assist vs Sheffield United, Lokonga was credited with 2 clearances off the line. So he was the key to their win vs Sheffield, assisting one goal and denying two.

maskito repped this.
  19. Cop Shoot Cop

Cop Shoot Cop Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    With regard to the clearances for Lokonga, one of them went out only to come right back in seconds later in the same sequence of play. Still a good play by him, but not sure it is entirely fair to say that denied a goal without putting it into context.

That being said, it was a genuinely promising performance by him, I thought.

maskito repped this.
  20. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Kompany really fooled us ey.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hopefully he comes good but I don’t think he will ever be a starter for us

not technically capable enough imo

22. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Rumors that Nantes want to terminate their loan for Marquinhos, he's only played 149 minutes in 7 matched. I'd expect a new loan rather than keeping him around for depth.

There is speculation about Tierney's loan being cancelled, but I don't think that is as likely. Sociedad probably want to keep him, maybe permanently.

Nuno Tavares hasn't played much at all, change at manager for Forest hasn't helped. I think he would be more likely to return. I guess there is a chance Nuno could return and provide depth at both fullbacks, but again, much more likely to go on loan somewhere else.

thebigman repped this.
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm… given the choice of which FB loanee I might consider taking back in January… if it’s based more on defensive reliability (and not perfect alignment with our system) I’d go for Tierney… assuming he’s fit.

But TBH I’d forgotten about both Kieran and Nuno, which speaks to what a move of desperation either recall would be. AND one I think Mikel is very unlikely to pull the trigger on.

24. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I actually think since White is carrying an injury and struggles to overlap, we might be better off bringing Tierney back, having White play RB and moving into the midfield, and then using Tierney/Martinelli in the way we used White/Saka last season.

25. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Just watched Charlie Patino’s performance in Swansea’s FA Cup game against tier 4 opposition. The game ended 2-0, in Swansea’s favor. Patino essentially played as a left 8, looking to combine with his winger and making multiple attacking runs into the box. But like Odegaard has been doing recently, he would also show to be the link between the defense and the attack. He scored a goal from the edge of the 6 yard box, forced the keeper into a very good save on a header bound for the upper corner, and had a second header just wide of the goal and just short of a teammate crashing the far post. He was very composed on the ball and his first touch can be elegant. In addition, when the ball was in his quadrant, he doesn’t stop moving. Albeit it was against lower level opposition, he was very impressive.

And_ROOS, maskito and NorthBank repped this.