Post-match: 2022 World Cup, USA-Iran

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Nov 29, 2022.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    schrutebuck repped this.
  2. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Agreed. It was such a joy to watch us boss the midfield against an elite team like England. The only time we've ever come close to doing that was against Germany in the 2002 WC, and although my memory of that match is fuzzy (it was 20 years ago, after all), I don't think we looked as strong in the midfield as we did against England. We played England like we were their equal in every way, from top to bottom, and I don't think I've ever seen us do that before in a World Cup against one of the best teams in the world.

Yowza and gogorath repped this.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was 5-0 in Gold Cup 2009.

Keep in mind that the laws of the game have to be possible to follow in small towns in poor countries without technology.

I read a book about it in college. If we did not do that, it is possible that September 11 would not have happened.
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/all-the-shahs-men-stephen-kinzer/1101126123

4. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    We saw how rusty/ineffective LDT and Gio were. How poor Long was passing out of the back. GB realized he couldn’t count on those players during the WC.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said you have no objective data to support your assertions. If The US wins against the Dutch, Berhalter will have surpassed Klinsmann's 2014 first cycle and equaled Arena's 2002 squad. If not he will still be behind the 2014 cycle where we won the B team GC, Won the HEX, finished 2012 and 2013 as the best 2 year win % in the program's history while playing real teams.

6. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    You answered your own question. Certainty comes from ignorance. Ignorant people don’t understand what they don’t know nor do they even know/consider that they may be missing things. There a commonality with high functioning people. They will state opinions in terms of probabilities and then follow it with evidence. Then there’s the possibility of actual discussion.

7. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I'm sure there is data that shows how different Berhalter's team plays to Bruce and Klinsmann's basic tactics, but I'm not all that interested in that right now. Also not interested in Klinsmann's record in friendlies. Our fanbase full of noobs put wayyyyyyy too much on those wins against Holland and Germany that summer. Tactically, Klinsmann makes Berhalter look like Guardiola. Even more importantly, Klinsmann's locker room completely imploded; the culture that Berhelter has built is rock solid. No data for that, of course...... Also, "winning the Hex" is actually meaningless.

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh this video has been deleted for copyright BS...

10. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were saying? @ freezingcoldtakes

this is in reference to Claudio and GGG, for those who don’t want to go back and look.

11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    You're right. I wildly overestimated the maturity of the Reyna family. It's clear now (and has been for a bit) that Reyna's childish behavior cost him playing time at the World Cup, having alienate members of the staff and his teammates alike.

And now it is clear that Danielle and Claudio are pretty crazy themselves. Danielle wasn't trying to get anyone fired -- for sure, Berhalter is out of contract -- but there's only one reason to "report" this.

Still, I stand by much of what I said. I think Aaronson was a better attacking sub going into the world cup based on form and fitness even before Gio decided on project shutdown. And Gio's not a defensive sub, so in games where we led, I totally understand him not playing.

I'm a big Tim Weah guy as well; I get why Weah (and Musah/McKennie) started over Gio regardless of any interpersonal elements.

Gio started from the US from day one, and only came off the bench for injury reasons ever in his time with the US until the World Cup.

12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's childish nonsense from helicopter parents. It's also on Gregg for being so clueless about talking about Gio post-WC.

gogorath repped this.