Post-match: 2022 World Cup, USA-Iran

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Nov 29, 2022.

1. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You weren't around for post Couva?

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Efficient technique is still the American weak spot,more than anything else.

gogorath, tomásbernal and The Clientele repped this.
  3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    You’re right, I don’t. He is reflexively and almost uniformly a Gregg fanboy on Twitter, which is what we were discussing (Doyle on Twitter).

4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bct81, zlatan_but_a_car and gomichigan24 repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ShayG, bct81, porkrind and 1 other person repped this.
  6. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the other children are @Excellency's offspring, so it wasn't much of a competition.

la torre, russ, Suyuntuy and 2 others repped this.
  7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I re-watched as well, and I mostly agree.

But what you're saying about not bunkering until into stoppage time is pretty much objectively wrong. The fully defensive subs came in the 82nd minute, and we went 541 or 5311 at best. Bradley was nicknamed Bunker Bob w/ a 442 empty bucket, 2 up, and 4 attacking-centric players. This was certainly a bunker for 17 minutes minimum. We started to lose a foothold for the last 34 because Acosta was the sub instead of Reyna to keep the foothold. Aaronson could have played centrally if Berhalter was that concerned about Gio's defense there. There was no reason to give Iran's crappy MF that much respect to sit in and go w/ that defensive of personnel for that long. Reduced our chances of securing the win.

Agree that Aaronson was saucy at the beginning of the 2nd half and had his moments throughout, in spite of the disconnects between him and his teammates after we went so defensive, and their ineptitude otherwise he probably has a goal or assist w/ all the chances he created.

Vis a vis Shaq Moore, he made a couple big defensive plays, like being johnny on the spot on the back post to deal w/ a bouncing cross. On the ball he was very bad again. So I'd say he was a mixed bag. The on ball stuff bothers people more cuz it's the sexier aspect. They weight it more heavily.

Curious what you thought of CCV on re-watch. Because I was told to re-watch in part to re-think my criticism of his performance in part, and it got even more negative. lol

8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen several very good goals in this Cup that have been called back for offside. On the one hand, it's too bad they didn't count (and some of them likely would have stood in the past), but on the other hand they've gotten them all right and it's been consistent no matter who was playing.

gogorath, Bajoro and Marko72 repped this.
  9. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Obviously a coach that isn't any good would be a bad hire, but so would the hire of an egomaniacal, my-way-or-the-highway, you-haven't-done-diddly-squat-without-me prick that would clash with our players and cut someone like Pulisic for reasons unrelated to performance before a tournament to stamp the side and make a point.

gogorath, russ and dark knight repped this.
  10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a disciple of Arsene Wenger in this regard. If any part of your body is onside, you should be considered onside. The point of the rule is to prevent poaching. That's not happening here.

But that's not the current application. They'd have to change the laws first or make it a directive from the beginning of a season before allowing goals like Weah's. It can't be allowed just because we did it.

gogorath, Mahtzo1, tomásbernal and 2 others repped this.
  11. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I personally don’t think he is - but I do think many of us defend him not because we’re fanboys but because we view the criticisms as mostly unreasonable.

gogorath and gomichigan24 repped this.
  12. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I called Doyle a fanboy, not you. Doyle in podcasts and Twitter is a cocky, never retreat, never apologize, always pimp the MLS and USSoccer, bore. IMO. His articles may be great and balanced and fair, but his extemporaneous utterings on Twitter and podcasts are not, IMO.

13. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rewatched some too. Yeah I thought after the match people were harsh on Brenden. I said he was good and a nightmare to defend without fouling and stand by that. He kept the ball in tight spaces and created a few chances. Sure he had a few loose touches, but thought he did his job.
    CCV was better in the first half where he was an important part of squeezing Iran similar to Wales. In the second half, it was shakier but his physicality was important and won the ball back for us or killed time. Refs have been letting people play so it was good, but yes he was on the edge. Also, we aren’t really mentioning how Ream got beat in the air when there was the big pen shout against CCV at the way end. We’re dealing with a lot of pressure for various reasons and there’s gonna be some shaky moments. Overall CCV was about the level of Zim’s first 2 matches for me.

FTGOTC, Bajoro and dspence2311 repped this.
  14. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A rare bit of honesty and self-reflection.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  15. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s funny when you consider the spirit of the law… “not poaching” in relation to what actually happened. That was just an excellent well timed pass and run. So far from a poaching goal that it makes me feel that the rules should be revisited. Scoring is hard enough in soccer to disallow great goals (er, called back goals) like Weah had yesterday.

gogorath, Bajoro and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  16. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about moving the no offsides threshold from the halfway line? Like offsides only applies in final third. Perhaps doesn’t impact Weah’s. But I find the offsides traps way up the field sorta odd.

17. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought CCV got lucky that the ref called the game as he did. There could have easily been several calls against him, none of which would have put us in happy places. One of the worst "offenses" was the play in the 2nd half where he hesitated to cover Taremi on the sideline and ended up bodying him pretty good in the box (the play that Taremi slid into Turner). The thing that really stood out was the hesitation to pick up Taremi, or perhaps his misunderstanding in the moment that that was "his" guy. Of course, that can be attributed to his lack of familiarity with the USMNT setup, but nonetheless it was problematic, and we were lucky that the play ended as it did.

That said, he's clean with his touches in possession and that had value in this game. He played well and with confidence overall, and that's commendable. Against the Dutch, Ream and Zim.

18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! This is a fantastic way to express the issue. This is why the team has been so, so close to getting it all right on the attack but it hasn't quite panned out (YET!).

porkrind repped this.
  19. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are refs out there that might have called a penalty on CCV’s hand on the attackers shoulder. For a moment, I thought, “This it is. This is the fateful play that is going to lead to a penalty kick. It was too good to be true…”

It would have been a very bad call… But after Edu’s non-goal in 2010, I sometimes fear the worst.

theboogeyman, gogorath and russ repped this.
  20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I was told by someone praising him I must rewatch and observe him specifically. So maybe I'm catching things others didn't who are just checking out the game more holistically.

You may have missed him not dealing with those crosses because he didn't even make an attempt. One he actually did, and took himself out of the play. But if you're curious, go back back and watch what he does or doesn't do on those balls cleared out at the back post by Moore & Dest. The majority of defenders just don't allow it to get that far. Maybe you'd downgrade even further if you saw those too.

Then on the would be game-winner where he loses his man, we'd have went back and looked at him as the villain for that itself.

6 major errors for a defender, in a game where we control the midfield for 60 minutes especially, it's hard to see how that could be considered a plus.

21. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Markus Merk might have called a penalty on one of those.

22. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Him winning an aerial duel against 6'1" Sadar Azmoun was awesome to watch again.

Also, holy crap...

bct81 and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  23. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    [​IMG]

For those of you who felt CCV took too many risks in the area.

Winoman repped this.
  24. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seen from that angle, it looks like a lap dance that got out of control.
    Sorry. I couldn’t resist.

FTGOTC repped this.
  25. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One adjustment as a soccer fan compared to American sports is that soccer teams change coaches much more often, and that applies to national teams and clubs. Instead of coaching one team for a long time like Bill Belichick (New England Patriots), Gregg Popovich (San Antonio Spurs), Mike Krzyzewski (Duke Men's Basketball and USA National Team), Joe Paterno (Penn State Football), and others; soccer gets men who coach several countries to the World Cup like Bora Milutinovic, and several top clubs like Jose Mourinho.

Winoman repped this.