Post-match: 2022 World Cup, USA-Iran

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Nov 29, 2022.

1. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    I am sorry that you are angry because the US won.

2. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    We're currently Even to force extra time or win in regulation. Netherlands is -120 to win in regulation, we're +360. I'm kinda surprised because I think based on group stage play, we've been as good as the Netherlands and technically better, but their rep goes along way. I'd expect it to be more Netherlands +140 us like +190 and a Draw +245 or something. I'm surprised we're as big a underdog as we are, but maybe it's also the injuries too.

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That would be so difficut, some say impossible.

4. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    Name the 13 players who should be in Qatar but who are not

FTGOTC, russ and Dan Loney repped this.
  5. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I’m not complaining. Zimmerman has been solid in my opinion, and the penalty was unfortunate.

6. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    It’s such a huge party. I get into routines, like listening to podcasts at work and watching certain shows later at night. The Futbol Americas guys, Dempsey, Holden, Donovan, Keller, Edu, Lalas, etc…its fun to see all of them every day and experience this with them. And then it will be over and it will be converted into fond memories.

I think of all of the guys at the US team hotel who welcomed our guys with a champagne shower. What do those guys do after this? I guarantee it won’t be anywhere near what this is.

What a blast. Thanks to our USMNT players and coaches for the diversion and enjoyment for our people. It’s so much better than political rancor and division.

7. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s the history and records of the respective countries over decades… until we start beating those European countries on a regular basis, those perceptions will stay the same.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m shocked myself. I wrote him off like 10 years ago when Panama destroyed him in the gold cup. Easily the best I’ve ever felt about being wrong about a player.

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Rounders is a bit dated, but it's good. Enjoy.

Calling BS, OGx3, Dr. Gamera and 2 others repped this.
  10. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Just a few random thoughts. I don't have many due to the small size of my brain but here goes...

When Berhalter subbed in Moore and Zimmerman I got worried. Not so much for the players themselves (perhaps Dest was tired and I thought Zimmerman did well) but because it was a clear signal that we were going to continue to try to just hold on and survive.

I see a pattern in tournaments under Berhalter that I hope continues. In the recent tournaments, we seem to start off slow and do just enough at each stage to stay alive for the next round. We did it at nation's league, the gold cup and squeaked by wcq in 3rd place. So far at the wc, we outplayed Wales in the first half, then gave away a win. Under real pressure after the draw to Wales, we secured a draw vs England. We had moments of real quality but did just enough to remind people that we really aren't there yet, then in a do or die game, we did just barely enough to advance.

All I can say is: remember how people were badmouthing the team during the Gold Cup? I sure as heck hope that the pattern continues. Do you believe in miracles? 1980.

NietzscheIsDead, Bajoro and gogorath repped this.
  11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree strongly. He should and will get extended. Why?

1) Results.

Beat Mexico to win the Nations League. Beat a near Mexican A team with iur B team to win Gold Cup. We had not beaten Mexico in a Final since 2007. Bethalter has done it twice.

Qualified for the WC and got us out of group. I have never witnessed a US team be the better team in all our group games. No one under 100 can.

2) Open minded about players.

One thing (of many) I heard a lot on here about Berhalter was that he would never drop "his guys" and that this would hurt the team. Yet I do mot see Wil Trapp or Zardes at this World Cup. Or Zach Steffen.

Long made the roster but has not played. He called Acosta & Ream back from the wilderness. Zimmerman, too. Pepi got dropped. Ferreira has not played. He took Morris over Arriola. Wright over Pepi. Moore over Cannon.

Look, feel free to take umbrage with any of these moves. But it does go to show that Bethalter is willing to keep an open mind and change his mind on guys. Right up to the last minute.

I get the "my guys" fear. It is real with coaches. Especially in the 2nd cycle. But Egg has shown a willingness to switch horses when necessary. But the other reason I do not fear this happening is..

3. Youth.

Most of "his guys" are so young they should still be in their primes next cycle.

Dest is 22. Jedi is 25. Adams is 23. Musah is 20. McKennie is 24. Aaronson is 22. Pulisic is 24. Weah is 22. Reyna is 20. Sargent 22.

For good measure: Turner is 28, CCV 24, Scally 19, LDLT 24, Acosta 27, Roldan 27, Ferreira 21, Wright 24. Pepi & Richards not even listed.

4. Willing to tweak. Formations, tactics, players.

5. Good prep.

Witness Ream's testimonial on the goal. Gregg coached up that sequence.

Craig P, FTGOTC, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.
  12. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to the litany of "shut up takes" posted, and repped by people who clearly simply aren't interested in criticism, period, after a win. I get, I 100% get, being tired of silly, crazy, foaming out the mouth takes, but honestly, ignore them, either w/the ignore function or habit. There are people who I don't read anymore at all because of a perceived agenda, or because it's too exhausting to read or engage the takes, and I do that w/people who agree w/my arguments, and people who do not alike, based on the utility I get out of reading them.

Anyway, I don't see you as a Berhalter home, period, you and I disagree a lot, but I don't see you as a homer and like w/Gogo, I learn from your takes. I don't even see the person I responded to as a homer, normally I really like their takes, but they're as irritated w/my side's takes, as I am w/him or her for suggesting we muzzle it.

gogorath repped this.
  13. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Any playable part. So the knee is past the defender is enough.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  14. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No shit, he will say players like Sabbi and Ledezma.

(To keep things fair, I would have picked Pepi instead of Haji, and probably Tillman instead of Moore).

grandinquisitor28 repped this.
  15. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sure. If the aim is to under achieve this n 2026. Should me any coach anywhere with a top program who succeeded across two cycles. Deschamps, and who else?

16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had some poor moments in dustribution vs England and the foul vs Wales was idiotic.

However, he's been great in the air, had ahuge block early vs England, and swept that ball away late vs Iran.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we had some bad luck on the lack of goals. two off the post, the Weah almost goal, lots of great crosses unrewarded. still we need a FW who can score.

18. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And you won’t find many who will take that bet now, even with only the Netherlands between us and there

The Clientele repped this.
  19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southgate. The guy in Portugal. The Uryguayan guy had a good run (I think this is cycle 3). Spain had a pretty good run in the early 2010s (Euro & World champs).

I am sure thete are more. They guy we just eliminated has had multiple good cycles with Iran.

20. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no bigger than Ghana in 2014 or Algeria in 2010.
    We made the R16. That’s almost standard (4 of the last 6)

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I……might go Roldan. We don’t have a more possession/passing deficient midfielder than Kellyn Acosta. Like I actively like him as a backup 6, I absolutely detest using him as an 8. Just unfair to him

Craig P, rgli13, DCU1984 and 2 others repped this.
  22. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    There are always crazy people at the edges of any forum, I tend to avoid reading them, whether they agree, or disagree with me. I prefer to read people who disagree w/me, but I find insightful or thought provoking, or people who agree, and do a better job of arguing my own perspective, or are just interesting. Most of the people on either side that come across w/crazed takes I don't pay attention to, but I firmly believe that the # of people who would prefer the team lose so they could roll with the I Told You So's, are far fewer than many of you guys frustrated with them think. Typically, most of this sort, are like me, terrified that the mistakes we see are going to see yet another potential great run and set of memories squandered by forseeable mistakes. Are there some so completely over the bend that that isn't it, and that indeed they want us to lose to be right? That's pretty rare. I'm actually that w/my redskins/WFT, but not to be proven right, rather to force the only rebuild that can reboot the team so it can actually genuinely compete, and I'm willing to see the team lose in the short term for a long term run of extended duration.

The World Cup is different from that though, once every four years, and I'm not 20something anymore, like I was in '98 and '02, so every one is precious, and I imagine most of us are the same. I got to watch us tie England w/my soon to be 82 year old dad, who coached me during my first broken arm ruined season of AYSO back in the fall of 1981 as a six year old. That's something I won't forget, I absolutely want them to win, 1000% yes, my dad watched it with myself, my wife, my 80 year old mom and my 6 year old on friday. It was glorious if frustrating. We even talked with my brother in SF while he watched it w/a friend he played on his first soccer teams with in the late seventies and early eighties (the friend played goalie, my brother was sweeper, and my dad helped coach).

Bajoro, schrutebuck and gogorath repped this.
  23. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Iran made the semis? I missed that. England? We will see how far they go. Uruguay last made the quarters in ? 2010?

24. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me in with you guys.

My wife refers to BigSoccer as “soccer nerd nation.” She sometimes asks me “what do the soccer nerds think about the game?”

25. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I personally think they should change it to head and torso. The problem with parts of the leg is that it can be offsides intermittently. (and remember...it's not just the offensive player that has moving legs). I am fine with computerized analysis but I don't believe they should be drawing the line so fine that it is beyond a referee or player's ability to discern between on and off.

NorthBank, QuakeAttack and Bajoro repped this.