2022 World cup/Qualifying Rosters

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DHC1, Apr 14, 2020.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    If a player has the ability to recover then the ability to take high risk moves in defending is thus facilitated. Statistically, concentration--as measured by the frequency of errors that lead to shots on goal--is a strength of Robinson.

2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    fair enough but that’s against MLS level competition. When the opponents are faster and tactically smarter, it could be entirely different and the high risk moves don’t pay off.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Absolutely. He would likely need to make adjustments if he were to move up a level.

4. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warshaw is not shy about criticism. He thinks his mental game is ok for a guy with 33 starts.

https://m.facebook.com/MLS/videos/i...miles-robinson-best-defender/705184406556933/

5. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would listen to lalas, wynalda or twellman before warshaw. i want to be clear- thats not a positive for any of them. but warshaw...i think hes moronic.

not to sidetrack things but do people really take him seriously?

butters59 repped this.
  6. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s an experienced pro who doesn’t do the typical jock talk. I like him.

You can disagree or fairly call him a contrarian but I have never heard him be moronic.

7. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i do disagree, i think hes contrary to good analysis and now you have. im not saying hes a bad person, but between "flow-state" and the sort of logic that justifies a lovitz or a roldan as just as important to a team as a mckennie or whoever yeah, heres your second time- his ideas are moronic to me.

8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Hopefully you're right, and it's just a bad selection of plays. But on the first one, his guy slips him, receives a cross and launches a shot right into Robinson's head. I don't think he knew much about it.

One of the next few ones: His guy is inside of him (is that goalside?) about 40 yards from goal, the passer puts it to corner of the box, his guy explodes to the ball, Guzan comes out, left for dead, Robinson scrambles behind Guzan and gets lucky and clears.

There was another one in there where he cleared off the line after his player beat him into the box, centered, and another guy headed toward goal.

9. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think defender highlights are tricky that way. I saw a video of Maldini highlights and he probably should have given up a PK or 2.

Miles has some room to grow mentally but he has elite physical tools to work with until his mind catches up.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...enders-lead-way-mls-combine-performance-tests

Ghost repped this.
  10. Pegasus and tomásbernal repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Alright, throw Sandler in.

So, in the way of young CBs,we have,
    Miazga---------C'ship(loan from Chelsea)
    CCV-------------C'ship(loan from Spurs)
    EPB-------------Austrian B1(loan from ManCity)
    Richards-------B3(has interest from Chelsea and Arsenal:being scouted by Barca)
    Sandler---------Belgium First Div(loan from ManCity)
    Robinson------MLS
    McKenzie------MLS

Established CBs--
    Brooks---------B1
    Ream----------C'ship
    Long-----------MLS(subject of EPL transfer bids)
    Zimmerman--MLS

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    CCV can't pass.
    I have no idea why anybody would see McKenzie as a nat team candidate.
    You missed Justen Glad and Sands.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Passing has been a statistical strength of CCV.

Cameron Carter-Vickers Characteristics
    + Strengths
    Holding on to the ball--------Very Strong
    Passing--------------------------Strong
    Key passes---------------------Strong
    Crossing-------------------------Strong
    Concentration------------------Strong

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, it's bizarre. One of the mysteries. I've never actually seen it. Crosses?:confused:

15. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont know, man, after leading the colaship with 91% pass completion last season, he cratered to a miserable 80% this year. and we all know excellency is usually spot on with his analysis, however contrary to measurable fact it (absolutely is, without fail) may be...

as for your list, do consider otasowie and/or sands more likely cdms, or are they just not in the picture yet for you? dont get me wrong- i certainly dont want to have find distinctions between our 11th and 12th best cb- just curious since you have laid out a pretty comprehensive list.

and sandler belongs in this discussion as much as kik pierre does.

16. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he played four matches at rb, but you can just ignore that per ush. just a bunch of eggheads who watch his matches come up with the slanted propaganda.

17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I should say, my descriptions of the Robinson highlight video is off, but similar. In the first highlight, he actually clears a cross softly to the middle of the field, then gets hit in the head, although he did slide into the spot. The second one, the guy he loses gets the ball closer to the center of the field near the box, takes it wide, allowing Robinson to recover.

18. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Having looked at CB highlights, this weekend the picutre is weirder than that. After the established contenders, there's the group of solid Championship dudes (Miazga, who don't have a high ceiling.

There's the Dutch group with Sandler and Pierie. Good skill. Good technique. Good pedigree. Wonder about their athleticism.

I don't wonder about the athleticism of Palmer-Brown at all. Just why he hasn't been able to translate it to better things. Should be competing for a starting spot.

Otasowie at Wolverhampton is one you're missing. He completely tooks the part, total package. Only watched one game, but it was PSG reserves, and he was super wow. Don't know if he will get enough first-team minutes for real USMNT consideration. He'll remind people of Tony Sanneh. Long strider, and the other team seemed afraid of him.

Saw some Richards highlights from last year. Physically imposing, a little slow on decision making with the ball. But very promising. The scuttlebutt on his thread that he tailed off this year and might be a Julian Green sort of future. Let's hope it's better. . .

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Pierre wants to play for the Netherlands.

Imo, Sands is more of a cdm. I though Otasowie's main position was cdm.

20. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Agreed. His takes that no player has creativity (it’s all pre planned) and that Pulisic hadn’t deserved to be an auto starter for the USMNT were laughable

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Miazga seems highly thought of by Reading's coach and supporters. I'm hopeful they buy him. He's still only 24. Plenty of room to grow.

Palmer-Brown has been a starter with his Austrian team.

I am not familiar enough Otasowie. I thought is main position was cdm.

Given his physical tools and the interest from Arsenal, Chelsea, and Barca, I'm guessing Richards won't have a Julian Green-type career.

22. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ive never seen otasowie play anywhere, but reports say he was used at cb in his couple of appearances with wolves. ive seen him mentioned as both and just erred on the side of those reports.

kinda how indy is mentioned as a striker but played on the wing at villa, though thats a pretty common "switch" for young players getting their very early appearances.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    There's a nice every-touch video of Otasowie in action against the PSG U23s. He appeared to be playing CB.

There's also one of his Europa league sub's appearance where he played cdm.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Maurcio Pineda and Owen Otasowie could certainly be included as cdm/cb types.

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

Winoman repped this.