2022 World Cup Qatar: Round of 16 - Argentina vs. Australia

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Dec 1, 2022.

1. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Enzo made and incredible pass to Julian early on that dropped right on his foot near the goal. Unfortunately, one of the few mistakes by Julian - he was unable to control it.

DTCrackheads, soul24rage and Pekerman repped this.
  2. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
  3. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Was Taglafico the one at fault for one of the late australian runs? I need to rewatch.
    Montiel just no good either. I feel like the team got too destabilized near the end. If you don't want to get Paredes then at least put Guido there, that's the usual Scaloni move is to change #5 to bring more energy and control the ball. I just can't believe the chances we leaked last minutes. Completely unacceptable. We need tacklers in midfield

DTCrackheads and soul24rage repped this.
  4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Fluke goals happen. Good teams overcome them.

Rattlehead, Patoeber, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nico was on the other side of the pitch.

Rattlehead and charlie15 repped this.
  6. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  7. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    not run my bad. I meant the very last chance was that Taglafico getting turned minute 8:40

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This video is not available in the US.

But I know what you’re taking about. He fell. He didn’t get turned.

9. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Yes very last chance vs the black player. I think Taglafico was marking him. I dont just blame him on this sequence, it is crazy how open we were. the aussie actually had passing lanes to empty australian behind him. Same thing with that run before the men behind were empty WTF. Unacceptable. Scaloni made wrong changes we should be packing midfield more near the end.

DTCrackheads and Rattlehead repped this.
  10. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    First Saudi goal was definitely flukey, it goes through cuti's legs, has a weird bounce on the pitch and Dibu barely misses it.
    Second goal was not, it was poor defending from Tagliafico (beaten by winger), bad clear from Otamendi and terrible ball watching from Molina.

Burr and DTCrackheads repped this.
  11. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Also check the previous run by the australian. Palacios SHOULD HAVE FOULED. Unbelievable he let him run by. Enzo and I think Romero tried to stop him but he was already inside the box and they risk causing penal. We should have fouled way before and Palacios had the chance but he jumps away from him. That to me is a fatal mistake

Rattlehead, Burr, ilovefotball and 3 others repped this.
  12. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Good overall performance until the end. I thought we controlled the first half and Messi was just phenomenal.

Thought Australia's goal was a fluke, like Saudi's goals. But we did get wayyy too comfortable around that time of the game. Not good enough. I hope we learn.

We actually responded to 2-1 well, but Lautaro wasted all our efforts. I'm very surprised by him and disappointed.

Bravo for Julian. He should stay in for the full 90.

Now it is time to put Dybala in that spot. Scaloni must see this. Scaloni is at fault for not seeing this sooner.

I thought for sure Dybala would play today when I saw him warming up at 2-0.

Shame on Scaloni.

13. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    He fell on his butt attempting a stupid clearance

14. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    The Australian goal was a hybrid of the two Saudi goals. It was bad defending from us, but we did enough to give up a harmless chance. It was going wayyy high and wide of the net. Then deflection by Enzo to the side netting.

Rattlehead repped this.
  15. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Thought the main problem was Palacios x Mac Allister. A lot of control was lost.
    But yeah, have to rewatch cause it was too exciting.

16. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    1000% agree. We also somewhat dominated after that goal.

17. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It seems to me that the side is playing with some fear as once the second went in we really relaxed and were controlling and moving the ball for fun. It can be a good thing fear if controlled but it can also paralyze.

For certain they need to up it again for the next match. They should show far more intelligence than the US did today with as Loco said naive tactics.

Rattlehead, soul24rage and johnbarley2 repped this.
  18. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    True about Di Maria! Use him in these situations!!!!! ********!!!

19. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    Just saw Messi’s interview after the match and he mentioned about fewer days rest for this game. I checked the schedules again and found that both US and the Netherlands had 1 day extra rest than Australia and us. Could that have played a part in how the teams performed today?

France/Poland also have 1 extra day to rest while England/Senegal have 2 extra days in comparision to ours. :eek:

So maybe we should not look too much into this rounds team play as there are some teams with less and some with more rests. Let’s hope we perform better after 5 days rest and that Scaloni doesn’t ******** up our formation and tactics again.

Burr repped this.
  20. Patoeber

Patoeber Member

Argentina
    Apr 3, 2014
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Jeez the overreactions on the main forum... Just yesterday most people thought Netherlands would have their asses handed to USA, now we don't stand a chance with them:rolleyes:.

I guess I'll just stay here most of the time.

Christina99, SupaMario and locoxriver repped this.
  21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bottomline, we qualified without having to play ET like in 2014.

We keep conceiding similar goal, everytime opponents counter from left and cuts to the right to shoot... Our defenders should always prepare to close down the space in that area.

Patoeber repped this.
  22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just (well, a couple of hours ago :D) back from the match. Congrats Argentina! Here's some footage from the match all the way from row 954,346,234 seat ZZXX99 or wherever it was. Still great to see Messi score though. I think you've got the best fans I've seen of the tournament

Messi's goal is around the 1 minute mark...

23. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I feel like this Messi is much smarter than 14'. Like his decision making is much better.

soul24rage, Patoeber and locoxriver repped this.
  24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh yeah, those main forums are a mess… full of trolls and self-proclaimed “experts”

BigSoccer Argentina > regular BigSoccer, all day

soul24rage, Patoeber and Rattlehead repped this.
  25. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Im not surprise since the regular section, like mundo & youtube comment section are full of non watchers supporters. They just post at the time of WC or, they're just a fan of Messi.