2022 World Cup Qatar: Round of 16 - Argentina vs. Australia

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Dec 1, 2022.

1. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Yeah Lautaro is not fast and not great at winning headers. He's a lethal poacher which means he finds the spot and finishes. I think it's a confidence issue. Really hard to hope a striker will gain confidence after he has been dropped. Once dropped, that should be it for the tournament.

wangballer repped this.
  2. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I am sure this team with Di Maria back will put way more energy on Holland next week. It will be nothing like this as I think this team elevates it's play with bigger team. I just wished for 3-4 goals against these smaller teams.

Burr, ilovefotball, soul24rage and 3 others repped this.
  3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh remember that Torres guy? Only on form in finals as opposed to Higuain. Football can be weird sometimes.

Burr repped this.
  4. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    It was definitely a downgrade from Di Maria. He was good but I’m not sure if the “good” he showed today is enough against a better side if that makes any sense

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  6. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Guys and girls, my fiance is asking me why Dybala did not come into this game. I dont know how to answer her question. Can anyone help me???

7. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tell her to ring Lionel Scaloni. :D

8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Germany needed ET to beat Algeria in 2014 and only won 2-1. Sometimes lesser team could makes it harder than on paper.

WC isnt weekly tournament. We might have no idea the preasure that these guys are having playing in this tourney especially the big teams.

9. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I personally would but I am not going to criticize Mac after his goal so I understand him starting. I would definitely have Paredes in the second instead of Mac and push Enzo a little forward. Enzo was still giving very nice little passes in tight space btw

10. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    That no namer Australian right back almost turned into prime Messi today. Anything can happen in this tournament

Burr, locoxriver and johnbarley2 repped this.
  11. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    No chance of that. The mid is working and will stay like that. Removing Mac was the only strange sub by Scaloni.

Papu x Lisandro - correct tactical change to be more defensive and Papu was not in the match, in the wrong position. We got much better after this one.

Julian x Lautaro - Julian was probably tired, we were up 2-0. Scaloni wanted to get Lautaro confident. This was a mistake but understandable.

Acuna x Tag - more defensive and Acuna tired.

Montiel x Molina - Molina had run a lot last match and this. Tired.

Mac x Palacios - Mac seemed fine physically and is much tidier on the ball and was linking up well. Not sure what Scaloni saw here.

DTCrackheads, Burr and afar repped this.
  12. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Yea but Germany was overrated crap that tournament. 99% of the credit is got is because shameless Brazil self-destructed. It was nowhere that close between us and Australia as the score showed

13. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Yes, I was suprised by Palacios x Mac. I assume Mac was tired after a full match against Poland and this one. But Paredes would have been better both defensively and controlling.

DTCrackheads repped this.
  14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No… Fatso also missed in two straight CA finals. That’s why he turned into a pariah.

Burr and Rattlehead repped this.
  15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Remember Swiss game in 2014? All our attackers had chances but somehow it took us 118th minute before scoring.

Remember Colombia 2021? We created plenty, hit the post, etc, but needed to win via shootout.

Cant explain that...

On good notes, we dont need extra time in this game .

16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He missed a wide open goal againts Nigeria in 2018 when we needed a goal. People forgot that cause nobody even noticed he played.

17. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    I think Palacios is just one of scaloni’s favourites as well but credit to him at least he doesn’t start palacios. It definitely seemed scaloni wanted to get lautaro in knowing that there would be plenty of opportunities with Australia chasing the game. Was prob thinking an easy goal would do wonders for him but it seems like lautaro probably would have been better served sitting this one out. It’s a moot point because they won but I think his performance topped even lukaku today

18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well I wouldnt say overrated, they thrashed Portugal and beat France.

19. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Di Maria is available next game. Very good.

In 2014, he played RO16 but missed the rest of KO rounds. Now it may be opposite.

afar, Rattlehead and soul24rage repped this.
  20. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Excellent point. Papu was good INDIVIDUALLY but not good in the scheme cause he plays the same zone that Mac was in. You saw how he moved to the right wing in the later part of the second half but he is not a credible threat there.

I think Papu would be good to replace a tired Mac when we are protecting a lead. He has a great tight control and a cool head.

21. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Let’s not forget 2014. He scores that and Messi is probably the universal acknowledged GOAT without any debate

DTCrackheads and Rattlehead repped this.
  22. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    I do not remember giving up many opportunities. I should do a rewatch one of these days. Old Micho was slow but not a huge problem when we rarely gave up counter and we had speedy guys like Rojo, Di Maria defending counters with their lives. He was a smart central defender who did very well when not exposed on the counter.

23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Or holds up his run for a milasecond longer and scored a goal that was onside.

I am beyond disappointed in Lautaro.

DTCrackheads and wangballer repped this.
  24. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Micho came in because Federico Fernandez was the original starter and was awful. It felt like they were going to concede every time they were on the defensive. Gago was also so bad he lost his place to biglia (credit here he was actually quite good in that WC)

johnbarley2 repped this.
  25. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    I always though lautaro had that macho killer instinct in him. Shocking to see him choke this hard multiple games in a row

DTCrackheads and SupaMario repped this.