2022 World Cup Qatar: Round of 16 - Argentina vs. Australia

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Dec 1, 2022.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Argentina [​IMG] Match 50 [​IMG] Australia
    3 December 2022
    22:00 local time (11:00 AM PST / 2:00 PM EST)​

Venue: Ahmad bin Ali Stadium (Al Rayyan, Qatar) - 45,032 capacity

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------

Historical head-to-head record:

[​IMG]

7 games played: 5 Argentina wins, 1 draw, 1 Australia win

The two sides have never faced each other at the actual World Cup, but they did clash in a memorable, hard-fought interconfederational playoff for a spot in the 1994 World Cup. Following a humiliating 5-0 loss to Colombia a month earlier, Argentina were forced to play a home-and-away series against the Aussies for a place in USA '94.

The first leg ended 1-1, with Albo scoring Argentina's only goal. The return match, played on Argentine soil, was also well-contested, with Argentina scraping a narrow 1-0 win thanks to a 59th minute own goal (deflection from a Batistuta cross).

This playoff is famous for being Maradona's return to the NT, following his 1991 doping suspension and sequential differences with Basile (Coco excluded him from the 1993 Copa America and WCQ process). He ended up being decisive, recovering the ball and providing the assist that lead to Argentina's lone goal in the first leg.

Fun fact: Carlos MacAllister (Alexis's dad) played the entire 180 minutes of the aforementioned series.

Australia's only win took place in the 1988 Australian Bicentennial Gold Cup, where the "socceroos" clinched a 4-1 victory over an alternative Argentina side.

The most recent encounter between the two sides was a 2007 friendly, which finished 1-0 in favor of Argentina (Demichelis header, assisted by la pulga). Messi, who started and was replaced in the 91st minute that day, is the only remaining player from that squad. Coincidentally, Basile (who had coached the two 1993 playoff games), was once again at the helm for this game.

The other matches were two friendlies in the 90s (both ended 2-0 in Argentina's favor) and a 2005 Confederations Cup group game (4-2; Luciano Figueroa hattrick and Riquelme PK).

------------------------------------------

Australia's form leading up to the WC:

- Finished third in Group B of the AFC WCQs' third round (behind Saudi Arabia and Japan), later defeating UAE 2-1 in a final playoff. This was followed by an interconfederational playoff vs. Peru (played in a single-match format), which they drew 0-0 before winning 5-4 on PKs to seal their qualification. In total, their qualifying campaign consisted of 13 wins, 4 draws, and 3 losses (2-1 and 2-0 defeats to Japan, and a 1-0 loss to Saudi Arabia)

- Most recent AFC Asian Cup participation: 2019, lost in Quarterfinals to UAE

- 5 most recent results:
    - September 2022: 1-0 W vs. New Zealand
    - September 2022: 2-0 W vs. New Zealand
    - November 2022: 1-4 L vs. France
    - November 2022: 1-0 W vs. Tunisia
    - November 2022: 1-0 W vs. Denmark​

2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  3. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Never underestimate anyone, the most important lesson learned after Saudi Arabia.

Anyway, I wouldn’t make many changes from the team that beat Poland.

4. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I would go with the following vs Australia

Dibu---Molina, Romero, Otamendi, Tagliafico---A. Correa/Dybala, Paredes, Enzo, Palacios---Messi, Alvarez

-Game is in 2 days, which is ridiculous so some subs are needed imo
    -Acuna has pubalgia so would like to rest him
    -RDP played and ran a lot recently, would like to rest him.
    -Di Maria has a discomfort so just leave him out

5. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Good points, I think it would be useful to rest Di Maria, De Paul and Acuña. But Mac Allister still has a lot of running in him and is used to this kind of schedule and hard running in the PL

-- Alvarez - Messi - Dybala
    -- MacAllister - Paredes - Enzo
    Tagli - Martinez - Otamendi - Molina
    ------------------Emi

Romero is also a bit 'fragile' reminds me of Nesta for Italy at the start of the century in that sense. If Scaloni can get away with resting Di Maria, RDP, Acuña and Romero it would could come in handy as the tournament progresses. The important thing is not to take Australia lightly

Pekerman, soul24rage and charlie15 repped this.
  6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with resting ADM. We can't afford to lose him. Having said that, if Argentina wins Saturday, they will play next Friday, that will be enough time to rest everyone.

Edhardy repped this.
  7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing you have to say about Australia is they're incredibly opportunistic. Both of their wins basically turned on a single chance, the first one being a freak header off a deflected shot.

9. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the writing off people are doing after the freak Saudi Arabia loss, Argentina are 2nd behind only France in expected goal differential. Australia are 2nd to last.

10. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Anyone notice we will be in almost identical situation from 98 with potentially Holland in quarter, Brazil in semis, France in final

Chesco United and charlie15 repped this.
  11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain may do a number on Brazil though in 1/4.

locoxriver repped this.
  12. Patoeber

Patoeber Member

Argentina
    Apr 3, 2014
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dibu
    Molina - Otamendi - Romero/Licha - Acuña
    De Paul - Paredes - Enzo - Maca
    Messi - Julian

Di Maria needs to rest. Paredes for him could look like a defensive sub but not really. I don't want Enzo as the sole 5, this gives him more freedom to go forward and create.

We are going against a bunkering team, let's take care of possesion with lot of players in the center. Acuña and Molina wide open and Julian to attack the open space. I thought this formation is the one that looked the best yesterday.

We have plenty of guns in the bench to revolutionize the second half if needed.

DTCrackheads repped this.
  13. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    very hard to see Lautaro not starting.

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That finish he had at the end was beyond pathetic. I’m not sure if he’s confidence is shook or what but he normally scores those. But if he had that same opportunity in an another game down the road, he would be crucified.

15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It does crack me up that so many people are so upset that we are playing the Aussies. There is quite a bit of vitriol going on but let the haters get mad.

Edhardy and soul24rage repped this.
  16. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Haters gonna hate, lol

Envy:ninja:

soul24rage and SupaMario repped this.
  17. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    He's always like that misses a few then scores some extremely crisp finish. I just don't see Scaloni benching his main striker twice in a row. Also lautaro doesn't seem to suit impact sub role.

locoxriver repped this.
  18. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Where? I need some popcorn for this lol

19. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just go to search function and type Argentina.

20. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    I honestly dont understand why Dybala hasnt gotten more oppertunities.. Its very frustrating. Last night was a good time to bring him on after the second goal, yet Scaloni went with Almeida.

DTCrackheads repped this.
  21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is anybody else not remotely nervous about this match? I mean, sure, anything can happen, but compared to the last couple of matches, I am not overly worried here.

22. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Im not nervous at all.

Its quite worrying, actually

soul24rage repped this.
  23. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am always a bit worry, but we already had our Saudi Arabia moment. That goddamn loss might get a lot of credit for what could potentially happen.

24. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone can beat anyone but I think we're in a much better place than we were in game 1 when we were trotting Papu Gomez out there, getting a cheap penalty, and acting like it was gonna be a cakewalk.

25. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Team is stronger: circumstances forced Scaloni yet again (just like Copa) to get selection issues fixed, unfit players gained fitness, team experienced shock loss and came back meaning mentally they should be more ready.

Add to that is last 2 games were not normal games they were must win WITHIN regular time. Now in KO we have OT and additional subs to make. We have the greatest depth by far I mean we have the likes of dybala and a correa who haven't even seen a minute meaning we might actually get better as game goes on.

That's why I am fully confident