2022 World Cup Qatar: Quarterfinals - Argentina vs. Netherlands

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Dec 4, 2022.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Di Maria still training separately and in doubt for the Netherlands match

2. Milwaukee Joe

Milwaukee Joe Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Scaloni will approach this game cautious. He was cautious against Mexico and cautious against Australia, with the number 5 more or less playing between the CBs. The most important moment in this WC so far is when he subbed Guido and Lautaro against Mexico and brought on Enzo and Julian. Enzo played forty yards further forward than Guido, on the halfway line, and everything changed. Against Australia Enzo was suddenly playing deeper and we barely had a shot in that first half.

Because Holland are a more dangerous opponent I’m worried Scaloni will be tempted to play Guido. This cannot happen. Paredes for me, allowing Enzo more freedom to play his natural game, or if Di Maria is fit, leaving it as it is, but without Enzo playing so deep, where he is basically a glorified CB.

No Guido, no Papu and no Montiel. These are average players. We’re now in the last eight with the big boys. We need quality from 1 to 11.

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, Paredes may get in the lineup to give that freedom for Enzo. Scaloni has tried this but I do wonder if he’s going to pack the midfield with Mac, Enzo, Paredes and RDP.

ganapordiego and DTCrackheads repped this.
  4. Milwaukee Joe

Milwaukee Joe Member

Jun 23, 2018
    If this were the case, we would be relying on our FBs for width, which means they will leave gaps behind them on the flanks, which Holland will try to exploit.

5. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Would be fine if Scaloni was aware of A.Correa and Dybala's existence

DTCrackheads and ganapordiego repped this.
  6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I mean it's still not bad if he plays the midfield Mario mentioned.

Julian---Messi
    Mac--Enzo--RDP
    Paredes​

Julian and Messi are very mobile and will be spreading to the wings.. Add Acuna and Molina alternating runs up the flanks.

The problem is if he wants to be a joker again and start Papu against all odds.

But yeah, a player like Dybala would be great in the second half after the Dutch are exhausted

7. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Nah Papu is half injured anyway Scaloni is not clinically insane yet. I think that's a good lineup, I think you will see a big difference in our midfield with Paredes back and Enzo more free. Mac playing almost like a second striker never would have imagined it prior to the WC. I guess he fits Scaloni prototype player... *restraining myself from my daily Mac rant*

DTCrackheads repped this.
  8. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    This is perfect.

Burr, Christina99 and Amuseddaysleeper repped this.
  9. Ha, another epic confrontation in the making.
    [​IMG]
    Oranje boven: koningin Máxima juicht vrijdag toch echt voor Nederland
    Wil je weten
    NieuwsKoningshuis
    05.12.2022 | 15:17 UUR | Robyn van Gorsel
    Het is voor koningin Máxima absoluut geen vraag. Wanneer komende vrijdag Nederland tegen Argentinië voetbalt, dan juicht onze majesteit voor oranje.

Naranja arriba: La reina Máxima realmente anima a los Países Bajos el viernes ¿Quieres saber

NoticiasKoningshuis 05.12.2022 | 15:17 | Robyn van Gorsel

No es en absoluto una pregunta para la reina Máxima. Cuando Holanda juegue contra Argentina el próximo viernes, nuestra majestad animará a naranja.

10. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This team has a long way to go, it's time to increase the tempo.

Amuseddaysleeper repped this.
  11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great article, can’t wait to read it again.

12. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Both those formations lack a player who can threaten on the counter alongside Alvarez. Not a concern when we were playing closed teams but the Netherlands will probably be a bit more open and we need to be ready to take advantage. Messi is great at making the pass on counters but he no longer has the pace to finish them alone.

I'd rather see Correa over Paredes. Maybe even Almada. Of course, Garnacho would be ideal. :(

13. It's not like we're without flaws in execution of the defense either.

Amuseddaysleeper repped this.
  14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As it is the case for most teams, we highlight our flaws and applaud our opponents strengths.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Queen Máxima: Orange on the outside, albiceleste on the inside ;)

feyenoordsoccerfan and Burr repped this.
  16. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    I am liking what I am hearing regarding the tactics/formation. I think It’s better to have more bodies in midfield than in the flanks for defensive purposes. Not everyone will agree with me, but I think it’s better we attack through the middel than from the flanks as well. Of course one cannot only setup to attack through the middel to avoid predictability but most attacks should go through the middel and some through wings when an opportunity arise. This should specially be the case for team like Argentina (and Spain for that matter) as we both lack target striker and our best creators are not the ones who crosses.

I therefore believe that we should play to our strength and play our midfielders more closer than what we have done until now in this WC. We should also play more like a possession team (Poland 2nd half) to utilise our players better in attack and to move as a unit both in attack and defence. We do not have players like France, England and Brazil who have other types of qualities. We should therefore play to our strength and I think having Paredes as a 5, with Enzo further up the pitch, where he can interchange with Mac and RDP to make runs from midfield to the opponents 16m is the best tactic/formation for this team. Playing with 4 midfielders will also make it easier for our midfielders to cover the FBs when they are caught out of position. As I mentioned earlier, we should either go with 4 midfielders or 3-5-2 from now onwards. Playing Enzo/Guido as a deeplying playmaker as we have already done couple of times in this WC is a recipe for disaster and we should immideatly stop this nonsense.

17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I had forgotten how much Di Maria hates Van Gaal…

Now I really want him to play on Friday

18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Van Gaal is Butthead, cant convince me otherwise.

[​IMG]

Amuseddaysleeper and Christina99 repped this.
  19. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ADM has started training with the group; still to be seen if he can keep up the intensity with the rest of the group though. I'd say he has a good chance of starting vs the Netherlands.

Dibu---Molina, Romero, Otamendi, Acuna---ADM, RDP, Enzo, MacA---Messi, Alvarez

20. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We need DiMaria. He solves a lot of our issues on offense. I expect that the Dutch will play compact and we will need to maximize our counterattack opportunities - to which, its DiMaria for me.

Christina99 and Burr repped this.
  21. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Agree. Di Maria will be fit. He surely wants to say something to Van Gaal.

Christina99 repped this.
  22. Amuseddaysleeper

Jul 8, 2014
    I just hope it’s more than a 70% Di Maria

23. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Do you think Di Maria still has the speed? He did last year but has been a bit injured since then. I have not see him play much this year.

His injury was so predictable. Frustrating that Scaloni thought he could play all minutes of every match and neglect takign another fast winger after Nico got injured.

24. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    What is the story with this fake queen of Holland??

25. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I really don't want to watch Enzo, easily our most skilled and creative midfielder, playing as Scaloni's recent version of a DM which is pretty much a 3rd central defender.