2022 World Cup Qatar: Group C - Argentina vs. Poland

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 6, 2022.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Even better.

2. Ashwanth

Ashwanth Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    May 16, 2018
    Guess RDP will start because of his workrate though he had two bad games, make sense since no other can hustle for 90min, Enzo, Mac and Julian has to start and guess one of the goals will be from these, hope Dybala an get some playtime.
    Not sounding negative again but seeing France and Brazil even without Neymar too and winning comfortably shows the quality they posses when we talk about ours who are mostly unfit and it's scary

charlie15 repped this.
  3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Brasil struggled until they found that goal. A goal always opens up a match.

Ashwanth repped this.
  4. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Current KO games ij76gbh5cr2a1.png

Must win vs Poland

5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A lot of things can and will change after the third and final group match is played . But yes, I think everybody knows that we have to win. And it does not have to do with France, it is about getting the ball rolling again.

6. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Scaloni has plenty of fit and in-form players to choose from. Just some bad player selection and tactics. He's been choking since the Saudi game. We will see tomorrow but I don't expect us to peak until the KO stage.

Ashwanth repped this.
  7. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    To be honest, we don't have the talent this World Cup. Argentina's lowest level of talent in at least 30 years. We were good cause of the balanced dynamic in midfield which has now been lost. However, it's still a gritty team with a good defensive spine that can go far with a bit of luck. Can see us stuffing Brazil & France with a 5-3-2. First need to penetrate Poland's bunker.

Ashwanth repped this.
  8. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Non-sense. Talent arguably better than in 2014. The reason you havent seen us play at high level is purely down to the first game and tactical/player selection. Has absolutely nothing to do with talent. You can say some players are off form but I don't think that's the main problem, we have plenty of players that are in maybe their best forms including Messi, Enzo, licha, Otamend, di Maria with the rest still very high level like acuna. Even RDP is in great physical form. After watching him he was all over the pitch vs Mexico because of this empty midfield.

Problem is people are comparing talent from the idyllic 90s and 2000s when football was much different and you had specialized roles. By this standard even Brazil talent today is much inferior.

9. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    You could look at something objective like transfer values. Our first player shows up at something like position 25!

Prime Messi, Di Maria, Aguero, Higuain, Lavezzi. No comparision in attack.

In mid we had prime Masch who was as good as an in form RDP. Rest of midfield was a weaker with Enzo Perez, Biglia, & Gago. EnzoFe, Mac, Paredes, Guido better. Overall we are slightly better in mid now. Would be significantly better if RDP, Paredes, and Lo Celso were playing as before.

Defense we had Garay, Micho who were pretty close to any two of Ota, Lisandro, Romero. Zabaleta was much better than any of our current fullbacks and Rojo was about equal to Acuna. I would take 2014 defensive 4.

Dibu is a step above Romero for sure.

Pure talent, 2014 far more talented but since it was skewed towards forwards and lacking mids, an in form 2022 squad might be about equal. However, since our mid came in all broken, the 2014 takes it.

10. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Are you taking potential transfer value? Not that I agree that it's the best indicator but we have a lot of players whose past transfer isn't reflective of their current market value like Enzo, Lautaro, Alvarez. Our defenders like Licha and Romero are also much higher transfer value than past defense. I don't see major difference between the talent. I would take Acuna over Rojo. I prefer Lautaro over Higuain. And some other very close calls. It's really very close which is the point I am making, your statement makes it seem like we are playing with scrubs. You are factually wrong, it is not the worst talent in 30 years.

You should compare our current talent vs other national teams.

11. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Am looking at potential as estimated here which is pretty accurate: https://www.transfermarkt.us/spieler-statistik/wertvollstespieler/marktwertetop
    Yes, comparing to other top national teams.

Lautaro is not as Higuain & Aguero's level in 2014. He has done well for tactical reasons. But even if he were slightly better, our attack is a joke compared to 2014 in terms of raw talent. Not a single of our current attackers would take a spot from any of the 2014 squad of Messi, Di Maria, Aguero, Higuain, Lavezzi. Remember, Tevez was still a fanastic player in 2014 leading Juve to the CL semifinals and did not make the cut.

We're not playing with garbage but it's a fact that Argentina's production has been continually declining for years whether people want admit it or not.

Enzo, Garnacho, Lisandro, & Romero have the potential to become huge players but they are still young. We have seen many huge prospects fail.

12. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So, Scaloni has been dropping hints he wont start Enzo tomorrow. Which is a mistake, imo. But who am i to say anything?

Anyways, he ve said in today press conference that "Guido play really well against Mexico" "Guido is tall, and we need tall players", "Enzo has as much potential to start as anyone", "Enzo has proven to be crucial while entering from the bench". Which means he might be thinking to start Guido and make Enzo start from the bench in the 2nd half, and i think we need the opposite: go forward, penetrate, go for the kill (goal) early and, in the 2nd half, if we are ahead, maybe put Guido so he can play a more defensive role.

anyways im scared

DTCrackheads and soul24rage repped this.
  13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Meltdown incoming…

Christina99 repped this.
  15. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    I wanted Guido to play but am first to admit he played poorly. Saw very little good defensive moments, though Mexico didn't do much, and some loose passes. Suppose he likes the dynamic. Scaloni was not even playing Guido like a mid, more like the center of a back 3 in a 3-5-2.

DTCrackheads and Christina99 repped this.
  16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The thing with Guido is that he is not even that great defensively as people pretend.. I keep hearing excuses for Guido's lack of offensive input because "he's there to recover" and that would be great and all if he was Mascherano, but he's not. I don't see him sweeping left and right, I really don't. He's ok defensively at most and terrible on the attack.

I liked him vs Italy, but other than that he has been beyond average every single time I've seen him play for both Argentina and River.

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    By the way, I think Scaloni is bluffing. His name is Scaloni not Scaredloni.

DTCrackheads, soul24rage and Christina99 repped this.
  18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well if he isn't, from now on he'll be known as Baloni

19. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Paredes in good form in training apparently. I am hoping RDP-Paredes-Enzo as it should have been since day 1. Just give me that, I dont even care about the rest of the formation

20. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Scaloni seems to like Guido very much, but, as SupaMario said, i hope he is bluffing to not giveaway the tactics

i hope

21. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    rdp- paredes- enzo PLEASE!!!!! Let us score early so we all dont have to die from a heart attack on the 2nd half

22. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Scaloni bluffs a lot in front of the press.

Don't trust any journalist except Edul.

23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You got it. Armani as the goalie, Pezzella as one of the CB’s, Almada playing next to Messi. You want more?

24. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Edul just now: same team but without Guido. It's either Enzo or Paredes.

DTCrackheads repped this.
  25. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Update: there will be at least two changes not just one.

soul24rage and Christina99 repped this.