2022 World Cup Qatar: Group C - Argentina vs. Mexico

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 6, 2022.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Argentina [​IMG] Match 24 [​IMG]Mexico
    26 November 2022
    22:00 local time (11:00 AM PST / 2:00 PM EST)​

Venue: Lusail Iconic Stadium (Lusail, Qatar) - 80,000 capacity

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------

Historical head-to-head record:

[​IMG]

35 games played: 16 Argentina wins, 14 draws, 5 Mexico wins

Argentina and Mexico actually have quite a deep history of facing each other, dating back to the very first World Cup, where Argentina defeated the North American side 6-3 in a Group Stage match played in Montevideo.

Memorable matches include the two other World Cup face-offs (2006 and 2010 Round of 16 games; 2-1 and 3-1, respectively), as well as the 1993 Copa America final, which Argentina won 2-1 with two goals by Gabriel Batistuta

Full head-to-head summary:

[​IMG]

Players still in current squad from the last 2019 match-up: Lautaro Martinez (scored 3 goals), Paredes (scored 1 goal), Lucas Martinez Quarta, Tagliafico, MacAllister, De Paul, Palacios, Acuna, and Dybala. Armani, Pezzella, Guido Rodriguez, and Joaquin Correa were also present, but did not play.

------------------------------------------

Mexico's form leading up to the WC:

- Finished second (tied in points with first-placed Canada) in the final round of 2022 CONCACAF WCQs, with a total of 8 wins, 4 draws, and 2 losses (0-2 to USA and 1-2 to Canada)

- Most recent CONCACAF Gold Cup participation: 2021, second place (lost 1-0 in ET to USA)

- Most recent CONCACAF Nations League participation: 2021, second place (lost 3-2 in ET to USA)

- Most recent Copa America participation: 2016, QFs (lost 7-0 to Chile)

- 5 most recent results:
    - August 2022: 0-1 L vs. Paraguay
    - September 2022: 1-0 W vs. Peru
    - September 2022: 2-3 L vs. Colombia
    - November 2022: 4-0 W vs. Iraq
    - November 2022: 1-2 L vs. Sweden​

2. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am going to enjoy beating these fools to a pulp. There are few fan bases that get under my skin the way the Mexican and Chilean fan bases do. We beat them every time and all they do is talk smack about us. 3 pts from the Saudis and 3 pts from Mexico, and we will be able to rest players for Poland game.

Christina99, soul24rage and ganapordiego repped this.
  3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I remember Messi scored a clear goal, where Aimar assisted it to Messi for an open net. But it was wrongfully called back. The game would have ended in regular time.

Regardless, that goal v the Mexicans was a goal I’ll never forget. I jumped out of my skin.

6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Everyone will have a chance to hit a beauty againts Mexico.

7. UpTheFMDucks

UpTheFMDucks New Member

Aylesbury United
    England
    Jun 3, 2022
    Great analysis and videos. Hope you don't mind me dropping my Argentina preview for the World Cup here. I think they are in with a great opportunity

8. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Holy shit these delusional euro centric analyst. Netherland is overnight the best team in the world lmao. Can't wait to beat that overrated French team and get revenge for 2018 fluke.

Rattlehead repped this.
  9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’m just curious of how much of Argentina have you actually watched? The Dutch are a good side, I will give you that. I think they are solid from the back to their attack and they will be a tricky side. But I am confident about our chances.

And, finally, do not start off with a post saying “Great analysis and videos….” When you are the content maker. :ROFLMAO:

Burr, Loco and Rattlehead repped this.
  10. Who says so?

LGRod repped this.
  11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Netherlands is best team in the world in netherworld.

At this point, Netherland is actually fall into same category as England.

12. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    second analyst we have had putting Holland at the very top, many tiers ahead of us lol.

Did Robben and Van Persie come back of retirement or did FDJ really become the best midfielder in the world

13. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Again, what is up with all these fanboys dropping in and "giving their hot takes"?

Now we have wannabe internet influencers trying to get clicks? What are we supposed to think "Oh, we know nothing about you, nothing about what you think, no history with you, but oh yeah, we completely buy into your thinking."

These forums are supposed to be for fans to talk about their teams. But it is now being overtaken by fanboys who are wannabe internet influencers. No thanks. I will not click on your video to get you more clicks. No thank you.

Christina99, Burr and SupaMario repped this.
  14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    @UpTheFMDucks
    I just realized you meant great videos and analysis for the stuff previous poster. My apologizes. But just note, the fanbase here is really passionate and the expectations are really high. It does not have to with the fandom, it has more to do with what we have seen and how this group plays. Anything less than a semi-final birth would really be considered a failure. So, you will be met with criticism for saying Argentina will be eliminated in the quarterfinals, particularly if you have not followed this team as closely as most of us.

———-/—

On a separate note, this is Mexico’s preliminary list… I know the Mexicans are on a bit of a dip and I am a bit oblivious to their team but surely they could not find a better forward than Rogelio Funes freakin Mori? Yikes…

Pekerman repped this.
  15. UpTheFMDucks

UpTheFMDucks New Member

Aylesbury United
    England
    Jun 3, 2022
    I was commenting on the great analsyis and videos in the thread, not on my own lol. I'm not that self absorbed. That's fair enough it's a game of opinons
    Appreciate your repost correctly, yes I was giving props to other videos on here not my own. No problem at all everyone has their own opinion and criticisms. (Thats why we all love the beautiful game right.) Certainly, Argentina has the capability to go all the way, which in all honesty a lot of the watching world would love as well. The prediction element is a bit of fun at the end of the video, otherwise i'm not really forming an opinion if that makes sense.

I look forward to enjoying watching Argentina play none the less in the games coming up and hope you all enjoy the tournament :)

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ok, so this game would be an early final for us... right?

Pekerman repped this.
  17. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A good warm up for the actual final :D

joking aside, from here on out, the team really needs to think each game is a final. The intensity, mentality and the physical state of the players were absolutely terrible in today's match.

Albiceleste2010 and Rattlehead repped this.
  18. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Truth is we are already in ko stage Lol

LGRod and Rattlehead repped this.
  19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not bad, other team will go through 4 KO games, we will have 6 lol

20. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is how I would line the team up against Mexico. I do wonder sometimes how managers make their selections for squads, teams and then repeat the same mistakes over and over again. Anyway.

Dibu in goal. We've zero depth behind him.

Defence. I would play a back five. Yes a back five. 3 CBs and 2 WBs.

Molina and Acuna to get forward and make the pitch wide as possible and to support the midfield when required by pinching in. Molina to offer the decoy for Messi down the right Acuna the option to dip it in from the left.

3CBs. Licha as the free operator to carry the ball forward and hit passes over to the WBs deep or short. Otamendi plus someone. Romero ? Pezzella maybe ? Foyth not sharp or fit ? I would have loved to have Medina available.

In midfield a trio. Enzo at the base as a distributor. He's mobile and good defensive cover. In tandem with him de Paul and at it's tip Messi in a free role.

Beyond them two forwards to offer more options. Lautaro plus Alvarez. Both can press hard from the front and we can direct de Paul and one of the wings back on the suitable flank to force Mexico to go long. Angel Correa to sub in for one at least.

----------------------------------------Martinez----------------------------------------------
    ------------------Otamendi---------Licha------------Pezzella ?-----------------------
    Molina-------------------------------Enzo------------------------------------Acuna----
    ---------------------------de Paul-----------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------Messi----------------------------------
    ----------------------------Alvarez-------------------Martinez---------------------------

21. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Foyth :cry: Oh man we are choking enough without his cameos

There was zero triangulations this game. Zero. Where is the DPaul, ADM and Molina triangle? I can't believe our plan B is let DiMaria cross to Messi. I was honestly sick of seeing him do the same run and desperate cross. We can't afford to do that. Now we have must win games, we can't even afford to draw. We also have to account for extreme time wasting in the second half with everyone from opposing team on the floor every 30 seconds. So we pretty much have to come out guns blazing and finish the game in the first half. If Scaloni isn't going to use proper offensive subs then we are done.

Rattlehead repped this.
  22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pezzella? Offfff… I couldn’t do that. But I’d honestly start Dybala in front of Julian just to see him get Messi and Lautaro involved. We need that magic. He’ll find Lautaro or actually, you know, shoot outside of the box…

23. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wonder how fit he is. If he's still not one hundred percent I would sub him in for Alvarez, Correa for Lautaro. We're thin at the back. I don't trust Pezzella but Romero is not there yet and neither is Foyth making the non selection of Medina even more sad. :cry:

It's been a depressing day. Really depressing.

SupaMario repped this.
  24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He looked quite sharp in his return for Roma. I like Julian quite a bit but he is Lautaro’s replacement. If Messi is being closed down they need to find somebody else and that somebody is Paulo. He can turn nothing into something.

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  25. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Yes, let's change to a back three in the middle of the world cup again, cuz it worked amazing last time...

Pekerman repped this.