Pre-match: 2022 World Cup Oranje qualifying matches

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Mar 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    What a performance from Bergwijn indeed... this is the kid who has been playing very little lately for his club (injuries and loss of forms). His goal was difficult to execute... he cut the ball with the outside of his foot whilst the ball is rolling. Beautiful technique, and frankly, bold move. Could have easily send the ball to to the stand!! His assist was unselfish - the breakaway run was blazingly fast! The poor defender was a distant away from him. He could not have fouled him even if he wanted to.

Memphis is the UEFA top scorer in all W.C qualification... with 12 goals. Also climbing fast in Oranje top scorer chart. Number 4 now with 38 goals, passing both Bergkamp and Robben. Memphis will eventually break Van Persie's tally of 50 goals. No doubt! Legend in the making.

Orange14 and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  2. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I wonder if we'll be seeded for group stages in Qatar

3. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I still think Memphis has room for improvement. Decision making, work rate, and body language.
    I hope he picks up the scoring for his miserable Barca team.

4. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    BPBlueSox and richsavare repped this.
  5. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Unfortunately had to miss the better half of the game. However, allow me to say GET IN THERRRRREEEE!

This is what I was talking about with Bergwijn, needed to have a game unlike his performances at the Spurs of late and boy did he deliver even if we had to wait a looonngg time for it. What a finish son! And nice unselfish layoff to Depay.

What I will say is that maybe van Gaal could still consider giving Berghuis a chance in midfield? Would also like to see Koop at some point as Wijnaldum tends to blow hot and cold. Could well be a ghost in the next game we play.

Anyway, Depay got anther goal even if it was harder to miss than to score. He does have room for improvement. This becomes more evident at Barcelona of late, even if it’s not only him that needs to improve.

Oh well, Qatar here we come!

gabrielguilarte and richsavare repped this.
  6. [​IMG]
    To make sand castles in the desert.

Brilliant Dutch and DutchFanatic repped this.
  7. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    How about prop for Captain Virgil…? Probably one of his best performances in Oranje shirt in recent memory… so composed and steady. Organized the back line tidily. Didn’t think he lost any aerial duel today. Spread the ball wide like a peanut butter. And (finally) another chance to go to a major tournament for the first time, barring injuries!!

8. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    For wingers, I feel Malen is losing ground to Danjuma, Lang, Berghuis, Bergwijn and Gakpo. Malen can be 2nd/3rd choice after Memphis and Weghorst.

There are lots of room for improvements for Memphis (1st touch, holding the ball, less careless with pass, cut down fancy move/simplify the game, free kicks, rising up to challenge in big game…).

This game is different from Montenegro game where they lost focus/too comfortable/careless with a lead. Both NT and Norway played not to lose in 1st half. When NOR realized TUR had the lead, they had no choice but open up/gamble to attack and NT was patient and clinical.

De Ligt played safe and simple today. Cillessen’s distributions are good. LVG sub in De Roon when the game was tie and took out Klaassen which are all good.

Now all can enjoy and relax and look forward to Nations League where this team can be fine tuned to be a contender.

9. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I'm not sure what will it takes to make LVG to try this as currently Danjuma, Lang and Gakpo on the LW and Berghuis, Bergwijn and Malen on RW. Nations League or any friendly would be time to try next year.

Jpows repped this.
  10. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Competiton is good for team and looking at the forward department its really iginiting up now. Lang must be itchy as well and with gakpo back its gonna be a headache for for van gaal. If there was somebody to push Depay it would have been great. There will no shortage of fire power up front. Thats for sure.

If this was the case in midfield. Bang, NT could have been contenders.

bunbohue, richsavare and Jpows repped this.
  11. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Having options is really, really nice!! That said, none of the current wingers are in the “safe” (irreplaceable) category. Each of them have got plenty to prove. Which actually makes the situation even better… friendly competition, knife sharpens knife!

Bergwijn and Malen will have some serious work ahead of them in coming weeks to get (back) to regular playing times at their respective clubs. Gakpo will return soon from ankle injury, he needs to gain strength and pick up where he’s left off.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  12. Kelvin Cheung

Kelvin Cheung Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 13, 2019
    To me, I really look forward to seeing Donny van deBeek back as I think he is a highly versatile midfield player with timely interceptions in the penalty box to create threats. He will surely revitalize the midfield. His play and goals at Ajax were great. Let's hope he can switch to another EPL club during January transfer window.

gabrielguilarte and wilson00 repped this.
  13. Kelvin Cheung

Kelvin Cheung Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 13, 2019
    Not great performance but, anyway, congratulations to the Netherlands from a Dutch fan in Hong Kong!!

Brilliant Dutch, Jpows and DutchFanatic repped this.
  14. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Midfield quality really drops when Gravenberch and Koop are playing instead of FDJ/Wijnaldum. Hopefully they will improve next year.

richsavare repped this.
  15. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If he does not move during the transfer window he will be very foolish.
    Absolutely wasting time and killing his career at ManU

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I dont think vdBeek can help it, can he?? If the club doesn't want to loan him out then he's stuck there

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Should be. FIFA rankings are pretty much a joke these days. US is ranked way to high as is Mexico. Portugal should drop a couple of spots as well.

richsavare repped this.
  18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There are a lot of angry players at ManU because they are not getting playing time at all. No rotation policy at the club and the results show it. Solskjaer is a horrible manager but he was a club playing legend which is why he is still around.

richsavare and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  21. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It always annoys me how FIFA decides the seeding process after the qualification is done rather than at the beginning.

There is a chance they now ditch the 'FIFA ranking' (used in the previous tournaments) as method because of (most notably) Germany their low ranking at the moment.

22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think maybe we won't be. Only 10 groups at WC2022, we are currently ranked outside top 10 and if FIFA decides to add previous tournament stats we are screwed because we missed Euro 2016 and WC2018

23. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think there is any team in the world that wants to play us.

25. Well, that's for sure.
    Most top countries want us seeded as it stinks to be with us in a group. Look at Spain WC 2014, Look at NL 2019 with WC 2018 France and WC2014 Germany. Look at EURO 2008 with WC Italy and Runner up France. Etc.