Pre-match: 2022 World Cup Oranje qualifying matches

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Mar 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Uhm no, he's scored against top teams like Spain and Belgium

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't know if he is out injured but Ihattaren has yet to play for Sampdoria. Eiting is no good enough. he could not break through at Ajax and his time in the English Championship was just average.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What folks seem to be missing is Frenkie will always have problems in the team right now. Every opponent will focus on him with a defender always right on him once he comes up with the ball. Koopmeiners is the only possible option on the present team to help out. LvG could play a double pivot of the two which would be quite interesting IMO. Unfortunately, this leaves the other MF position up for grabs beteen a bunch of players who all have specific limitations. This can be alleviated by dropping Memphis deep to help out which in fact is what LvG is doing right now. That tactic requires a runner like Klaassen to open up the middle but even that cant solve the problem of Berghuis who is not a threat on the RW.

If this team had a MF like Snjeider, there would not be any problems as Wesley was excellent on the ball and a scoring threat. Gibraltar is a poor team to experiment on as LvG probably won't learn much. My choice would be to start Koopmeiners and Frenkie with Memphis dropping deep as he has been. Maybe Wijnaldum could slot in as the runner #10 in place of Klaassen as we already know what Klaassen can do in that position. I would like to see Malacia instead of Blind.

LvG also has to solve the RW problem with someone other than Berghuis. Lang was active but playing on the right side is foreign to him right now. Time to recall Arjen Robben!!!!:thumbsup:

bunbohue repped this.
  4. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I swear to God, I'm so happy none of you run Oranje :eek: :(

Orange14 repped this.
  5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    O14, with all due respect, we have Oranje firing on all cylinders right now.

Why change a good thing??

(and yes I know we sucked against Latvia, but I blame the field/weather)

6. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    IMHO, we need to tweak and tune this team to find out what it can do/improve so it can do well against stronger opponents, especially in knockout rounds. As you can see the core remains the same, and it is healthy to have competitions at positions and to line up/plan for Oranje beyond WC.

richsavare repped this.
  7. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Agreed. Playing against minnows can give you a distorted picture of what this team is actually capable of, and what it’s not. There’s always room for improvement and we should always explore those and never get too complacent.

If we start resorting to blaming the weather/pitch against the likes of Latvia then you know that tweaks can/should be made.

richsavare repped this.
  8. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I say dont tweak. Let our current XI stand, and let them gel into a WC2022 contender under LvG, just like he did in 2014.

And yes I know we're not gonna win the world cup, but if we can make the semi's I will consider that a success :thumbsup:

9. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wait... are you sober?

richsavare, Brilliant Dutch and Orange14 repped this.
  10. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #1235 richsavare, Oct 10, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    What exactly are you watching?

Firing on ALL cylinders?

That is categorically not true, the team has been quite inconsistent.

One fantastic night against a poor Turkey team who were tactically negligent does not mask the up and down performances.

I believe there is a lot of potential to do very well on a consistent basis, but changes of personnel needs to happen.

There is no limit on what this team could possibly achieve in my opinion based on the fact that there is no powerhouse or true dominant team in World Football at this moment in time, but greater success will not occur without making changes to some of the players who have been picked and played in recent times.

That said the formula for winning football comes from playing faster in possession, dynamic attacking football with great movement off the ball while pressing, and squeezing the opponent when not in possession.

Oranje XI does not play this way consistently, and if anything we have clear holes to fill to achieve that success.

In recent times the starting XI is not going to get it done. Blind, Klaassen, Berghuis, Luuk De Jong won’t get it done, (and I Love my Ajax guys) but the proof is in the pudding, and these particular players have serious limitations to succeed in the bigger matches against the best competition.

wilson00, bunbohue and Jpows repped this.
  11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You guys are being really, really harsh :(

So tell us then, which starting XI would you field that you think is gonna win us the World Cup in 2022??

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Here is my starting 11 and the only one that can win the WC. Of course all the players are in their prime!!!
    GK - van der Sar
    RB - Ruud Kroll
    CD - Koeman
    CD - van Dijk
    LB - van Bronckhorst
    DM - Davids or Rijkaard
    MF - Neeskens
    MF - Snjeider
    LW - Cruiff
    CF - van Basten
    RW - Robben or Rep

No current 11 that LvG can field will win the WC. If they make it out of their group, it will be a success.

13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Roflmao!!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well you asked for a starting lineup that could win a WC. I probably could add a second 11 to that list who would be pretty close.

15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dont mean to nitpick, but its Krol with one "R".

And Robben is WAAAAAYYYYY ahead of Rep

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    LOL @ Johnny Rep

Supposedly when Rep moved to Ligue 1 in France we wasnt allowed to take his speed pills with him. He allegedly kept begging his coach, but he said we dont do those things here, Johnny.

Rumor is he found his pills elsewhere, and afterwards they kept calling him Johnny PEP.

I dont know how much of that is true, but its still hilarious :ROFLMAO:

17. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    LVG said that the goal this time is to win the WC. Another semi final, not good enough. Time to reach for the star.

18. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Van der Beek scored vs Spain. 1-1. Danjuma scored vs Belguim 1-1. Which game you are talking about.

Ihatraren is struggling with fitness.

19. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I cant see them reaching SF this time around. Argentina will be a solid team this time around and they would also wanna farewell Messi with a win. Brazil will heavy favourites as always. England wont win under Southgate but will go far with the squad and depth they have. France again winning the Nation League and surely will be top favourites as well.

Then there are others like Beligum and portgual who I think are better squad than NT.

20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm going by wiki, which I admit could very well be wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Klaassen

21. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is why I said we have to pass on this world cup. They simply dont have the right ingredients. The goods, take it over to the next phase which is 2024 and 2026 and and usual suspects to be flushed out. Plus there will be more options avaliable to who ever the coach will be.

However if they do gets a favourable group / draw, then Van Gaal has expertise to drag them to the to the knock out rounds.

22. Then he should start with assessing players himself for selection and not take the list of Blind and Fraser without questioning. LvG is far better at assessing the capabilities of players available atm. I dnot trust Blind in any way to be fit for that specific part of the tasks of the staff.

bunbohue, Deadtigers and richsavare repped this.
  23. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I truly don’t believe that there is a significant gap between these sides and Oranje although I would not discount any of these teams.

With the right players on the pitch and on form Oranje will be very difficult opposition.

Just a general statement here I don’t agree with any opinion that you just go to a tournament to participate or make up the numbers, but to win every match no matter who you are playing.

Mentality must be to win every match, and not label it any other way.

From your list I don’t think Belgium are difficult opponents after watching their recent Nation League results.

Old and slow in the back and their newer generation of players is a big drop off from the recent performers.

Talented indeed but their stars are fading.

Jpows, bunbohue and Orange14 repped this.
  24. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  25. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Netherlands XI confirmed:

Bijlow, Dumfries, Blind, Van Dijk, De Vrij, Frenkie, Wijnaldum, Klaassen, Berghuis, Lang, Memphis

Once again, Blind over Malacia is mind-boggling... Would LVG have done this if Blind Sr. wasn't on the sideline? Hmmm :rolleyes:

Virgil is definitely not needed... De Ligt or Ake should be able to handle the mighty Gibraltar forwards. Virgil can use some rests given the packed club schedule, and we need him on top of his game up against Haaland next month in a decisive final group match.

Lang is already giving Malen run for his money... this early. Malen will really need to step up now. :cool: