2022 WC Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by Primitive Ways, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I was listening to some clips about our gk situation and how some periodistas saying he needs support by putting him in the game against Colombia and his confidence might get shot if he doesn’t start but ******** that we need experience and results now. We can’t gamble again.

cabezamagica repped this.
  2. Miami Heat

Miami Heat New Member

May 26, 2016
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thank you, sir! I'm hoping for a miracle today, and have some hope that we can at least get a tie. We also need a couple of other results to land in our favor.

3. Miami Heat

Miami Heat New Member

May 26, 2016
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Plata has looked his best coming in as a super sub when the opponent's defense is tired. I was hoping that he would make that next leap and becoming a regular starter but it hasn't panned out for him. Luckily he's young and still has time to improve.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  4. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    You're 100% correct with this. Periodistas and even some members of the fanbase in comment threads are trying to soften the blow by rationalizing youth and inexperience. It's pervasive in our culture...there really isn't an embedded culture of winning, and at this moment, it's all just loser talk when they try to defend this guy.

Ramirez needs to hear it from every corner of the media and needs to be reminded with clips of that blooper forever. That mistake was egregious and could be a determining factor to why we don't classify. It's a mistake that can cost the FEF millions in bonus money and hurts future player valuations by an untold amount (if we don't classify) by losing out on the #1 showcase of player talent.

Also, the players need to hold each other accountable. Demanding perfection. I don't ever recall a moment where Michael Jordan came out to soften the blow of a poor performance or speak falsehoods about the current reality. I feel like a broken record saying it, but there is no leadership on the NT. Who is the junkyard dog that is out there making sure there's order, discipline, and excellence in the locker room?

Ramirez plays a sport that is basically a public forum. Why doesn't he come out and apologize and commit to working harder and smarter to avoid these things? It's all so cowardly. It drives me mad.

5. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Prayers up! Let's hope!

Also, welcome aboard!

6. Miami Heat

Miami Heat New Member

May 26, 2016
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thank you, guys!

I have a lot of Colombian friends that are stirring the pot. They are all very confident that Colombia will win today so a tie or a miracle win would make my week. I've been closely following the NT and the players that play abroad for the last 15 years, so it brings me great pleasure to be able to debate with my fellow Ecuadorians.

Question for you all. Why don't they ever call up Cazares? He's talented and a different type of player that could be very useful in my opinion.

7. Miami Heat

Miami Heat New Member

May 26, 2016
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've come to learn that the Ecuadorian player's mindset is different than most athletes in the US. My son plays goalie, which is a mentally taxing position, but I'm quick to point out mistakes and encourage him to own up to his mistakes so that they are not committed frequently in the future, yet he's still very young. You live and you learn but taking ownership of your mistakes is imperative here in the US. There is no way that if the US NT goalie made such a glaring mistake that he would not be crucified and blasted on social media/SportsCenter. Coming out and making a public statement would be expected if not you are labeled weak and inept.

8. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Cazares is a player that lacks discipline. We don't need more of that around the national team especially given how young our team is.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  9. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I can accept that argument if it was in regards to a club team. Not for world cup qualification tho. The margin for error is small. If the kid loses all confidence in himself for getting benched after a poor performance then that tells you all about his makeup.

10. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Ok, the pain from that loss is finally evaporating.

I agree with all the above sentiments, this man needs to come out and apologize for what he did. I really can't believe he hasn't already. It costs nothing and will actually help him find peace, smh.

Dominguez or anybodyyyy else needs to start today, this is a do or die game.

With all that said, I don't think we win. This team has proven que animicamente no tienen la autoestima para ganarle a la cagada que hicieron en Venezuela.

If they were serious about this they wouldn't be all smiles posting on social media. It's so disappointing to watch them piss away this cycle.

11. Miami Heat

Miami Heat New Member

May 26, 2016
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you start looking at the table, the future schedules and start calculating the attainable points for all of the teams that are in the running to gain the WC spots, you'll come to realize that we are cutting it very close. It's win/tie now, or pray for other results. We are in 3rd place now but this can quickly change and be left without a qualified spot if we don't start gaining some momentum. I hate to be negative, but it's not looking good for us at the moment.

12. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Yea, I can’t remember a time where we’ve won away at most of those venues. Argentina and Brazil at home guarantee nothing for us.

Venezuela at home is the “easiest” game we have left. The strength of schedule for this final stretch has got to be top 3 for Ecuador.

13. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I don’t think we are going to win. Almost every game we have conceded at the very last few minutes of every match and this will be the same.

I still think that if we had gone to HT with that goal the game would have ended differently but that’s in the past now.

Miami Heat repped this.
  14. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Absolutely...

We did a point calculation and match outlook earlier in this thread and the table has getting even tighter. Away games in Santiago, Lima, Asuncion + 2 home games against Brazil and Argentina is brutal. I can only hope Brazil wins today to lock up their trip to Qatar...same for Argentina in the next 2 games. We'll have a much easier time if they start benching the big players, but their B-teams are still world class.

We're in 3rd place only because of GD, but if you look at our record (5-1-5) - it's appalling. Either it's a win or loss (with 1 exception being a tie). If you look at Uruguay and Colombia (16 and 15 points respectively), their team shows a lot more consistency (Uruguay record: 4-4-3) and Colombia (3-6-2). This should be a major red flag. Both teams lose less than Ecuador, and that hot-or-cold consistency is a problem because we never know what kind of team is showing up to play.

We'd need a combination of positive results moving ahead to qualify direct, and minimal flexibility with our point prospects to get to 5th place.

Currently 16 points:
    - Draw vs. CO away + 1 pt
    - Win vs. VZ at home +3 pts
    - Win vs. AR at home +3 pts
    - Win vs. BR at home + 3 pts
    - Tie vs. PE away + 1 pt
    - Tie vs. PA away + 1 pt
    Total points: 28 (should be enough to classify direct)

- Loss vs. CO away 0 pts
    - Win vs. VZ at home +3 pts
    - Win vs. AR at home +3 pts
    - Win vs. BR at home + 3 pts
    - Tie vs. PE away + 1 pt
    - Loss vs. PA away 0 pts
    Total points: 26 (might be enough for 5th place)

Either scenario requires perfect form at home to win + some favorable away games. It's tough to see this happening.

Miami Heat repped this.
  15. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Just bring us another Colombian coach to have a halfway disciplined team please.

We don't have the chutzpah or focus to play head to head against anyone.

16. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Great analysis.

UGH, I really didn't want to map that out because I knew it would look ugly.

I really don't think we're making it boys. Even at our hottest we haven't brought in that many points in 4/6 straight games, much less against those opponents.

17. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I have hope we'll make it and even if we don't, I'll give Alfaro his props in establishing a really good base for the future.

Years ago I remember us discussing where the heck we would get players for the future (since not many were popping out) and look at the last 2 years for us.

We have been able to unearth several gems in defense, midfield, and attack.

However, Alfaro needs to put on his big boy pants and call up players who deserve it (Alcivar, Porozo, Ferigra, Djorkaeff) instead of who Deller wants to promote and sell.

Miami Heat repped this.
  18. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Honestly we don't deserve to qualify. We play with no sense of urgency. No courage. Look at Chile. They got off to a slow start and are in 8th place. Against Paraguay they showed grit. If we were in Chile's shoes I have no doubt in my mind that we would have thrown in the towel already. It's disheartening to see what's going on at the top of the helm. No Alcivar or Cifuentes but Gaibor gets called up? Tin Angulo gets called up even tho he doesn't even start on his team all the time. Moises Ramirez gets the start over Dominguez and Ortiz? Hurtado gets called up instead of Romario Caicedo? What message does this send to the players? It doesn't matter if you play well for your club team. The hell with working hard day in and day out. All that really matters is who you're connected to.

19. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Someone start the 2026 qualifying thread. lol

20. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    LOL is this the WC where they'll start including 48 teams? if not, let's just start the 2030 one as well.

21. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    With a win against Venezuela, Chile will put themselves back in the hunt. Hopefully Argentina and Brazil win their respective games.

22. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Even Bolivia is winning right now

23. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    That would had been a gol if it were that other guy.

The Machine repped this.
  24. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Va ver expulsado.

cabezamagica repped this.
  25. The Machine

The Machine Member