2022 WC Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by Primitive Ways, Jul 17, 2018.

1. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yesterday was a tough loss. We weren't the best team in South America after the beating Colombia 6-1 and we aren't the worst team after losing to Peru 1-2. One thing to keep in mind is that our team is young and inexperienced. Below is a list of the players that played yesterday and the number of caps they have:

Dominguez - 59
    Perlaza - 3
    Arboleda - 22
    Arreaga - 12
    Estupiñan - 7
    Mena - 27
    Mendez - 18
    Moises - 5
    Carabali - 2
    Estrada - 16
    J. Caicedo - 2

Plata - 6
    Noboa - 81
    Preciado - 10
    Diaz - 2
    Martinez - 31

Dominguez and Noboa have more caps between the two of them than all of the other players combined. Experience is a great teacher. The younger players will get better as they gain more experience.

I look back to the 2018 qualifiers and I see one glaring similarity. Just like Quinteros, Alfaro selected players that are not in rhythm. Dominguez is the backup GK at his club. Preciado and Estupiñan haven't played much the past couple of months and both finished the season riding the bench for their respective clubs. Perlaza was benched and then later sent to train Liga's reserve squad. Moises has played only a handful of matches with Brighton's reserve/youth squad.

I see another similarity from Rueda's days. We didn't always agree with his tactics but from what I remember he only called up players that were in form and were getting consistent minutes with their respective clubs. One mistake he did make was not always selecting the most talented player. I'm sure we all remember the Isaac Mina and Luis Checa days. Or going with Alex Bolaños or Oswaldo Minda. He sometimes selected players that were not the most talented but they fit in with his scheme/tactics. In a slightly less egregious way Alfaro made the same mistake. Arreaga is not the second best center back we have. Hincapie is a lot more talented. There's a reason why he's being linked to European clubs. Same with Carabali. Martinez is more talented than him. So is Romario Ibarra.

I hope the national team as a whole learns from these mistakes. There's a lot of futbol still left to be played but the margin for error in minimal in eliminatorias.

Primitive Ways repped this.
  2. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I would like to highlight the importance of age brackets on a squad to developing a young team. At the moment, we have only a few "mentors" on the squad and you can see fouls like what Moises committed yesterday or even Pervis' erratic positioning as primetime errors - this is a leadership gap (a big one) that has to get corrected soon. Noboa is a great leader but some of our other elders simply aren't. And if we don't have a truly senior squad to work with, then we should be hiring some of the retirees to be one-on-one mentors to work on the mental maturity and EQ aspects of the 90 minutes, training, managing fame, etc.

Primitive Ways repped this.
  3. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Copa America starts this weekend. We will probably use it to fine tune our guys and do bad like always. I’m more interested in seeing us do good during qualifiers than watch CA.

4. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'd like to see what this squad can do with Enner up top, Plata on the right and Mena on the left, and Diaz como enganche. Mena is best utilized on the right but as our luck would have it so is Plata. With proper width this scheme can work with Mena playing in a slightly more central position drifting in from the left. I wouldn't start Diaz but I'd like to see what this group of players can do for 15-20 minutes.

The midfield duo would be Gruezo and Mendez. Gruezo can do the dirty work and shield the defense. Mendez is more of a playmaker who can also help in ball recovery. Moises and Franco can be options off the bench. I'd like to see what Pineida can do. Pervis can be an option to come off the bench where his speed can be used to exploit a tiring opposing defense.

No need to say it again but Arboleda and Hincapie should be the central defenders.

5. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Everyone is so inconsistent and looking like they dont want to go to this WC. We really need Alfaro and the team to treat each match as a final.

6. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The worst thing that happens in South America is the protracted nature of the qualifiers...it takes two years to complete, and if you're not already an "elite" talent, like what you might find coming out of Brazil and Argentina (consistently), everyone else will feel the pain of performance dips. I definitely think we saw this across all games over this round. We were supposed to have a six month gap between games, and it turned out extending itself to almost 2 extra months due to Covid. It adversely affected Ecuador this time around.

Luigi408 repped this.
  7. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think Ecuador not playing the qualifiers in March worked against them. Arreaga wouldn't have played. It could have been Torres or even Hincapie in his place. Renato Ibarra wasn't injured so he would have played. Moises wasn't 6 months removed from playing a competitive match. Pervis was healthy and getting consistent minutes with Villareal.

Luigi408 repped this.
  8. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Not to make this game about conspiracies,but it’s real suspicious,when 2 players that haven’t the quality to be called up,are in the lineup all of the sudden.Perlaza is not even on bench in Liga,Carabali is not up in NT caliber,add to that players like Pervis,who has lost all sense of play and is relegated to third string in Villareal since his injury ,Preciado and Mo ,as good as he was in the beginning also is suffering from not having continous play.I hope we’re not going to be another Bolillo situation where Luchito placed mediocre players in order to market them.but yet they leave out two players who are making a difference in Libertadores against quality teams.just saying.

9. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I feel like Alfaro called Carabali and Perlaza because they're accustomed to the altitude...but they backfired hard.

Castillo needs to get his whole citizenship issue settled already because we could use him on the national team.

10. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  11. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Damn. No LDU players… ouch. PPP out? Good! As you guys said… that was very suspicious that he was even called up.

What else changed?

It be a perfect time to A. Valencia to have been called up and show how a professional trains and takes games seriously. This would have been a perfect time to be a leader with experience. Sad he had to retire at this time.

LDU4ever repped this.
  12. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    All of this. I can't rep this post enough - we need role models on the squad.

13. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I hope Liga hires a good coach so they can turn things around. Imagine if Muñoz and Julio were in good form. Against Peru Muñoz could have started on the left and Julio could have started behind Estrada.

Luigi408 and javer repped this.
  14. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #1339 The Machine, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    For better or worse we're stuck with Dominguez, Noboa, and Enner.

I'm looking at the players Alfaro selected and I'm not sure why he went with 3 LBs. Estupiñan is the starter and Pineida should be his backup. Pineida can also play RB. Hincapie can also play LB should an emergency present itself. I would have left Palacios out and gone with another midfielder or winger.

15. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Alfaro said after the match that he was not happy with the attitude of the players they were too calm and not looking to attack and score but rather see what Peru could do. This was very odd coming from the players and he said there was to many things non football wise affecting he players.

I think Alfaro took a way too calm approach to with the parillada. We didnt bring home points from Brazil and Arboleda just got in a sandal it was not a good time to celebrate anything and this team still hasnt gotten over the last scandal.

I think maybe he did play Carabali and PPP for the altitude and he was probably giving PPP one last try to see if he should go to Copa America Hence why Jose Hurtado is now in the CA squad. Sucks that Castillo just got his papers in check cause we need him.

This was a wake up call that we need leaders in this team Alfaro and good results wont maintain the right mentality for these younger guys. I want to see a much stricter approach from Alfaro as well from here on out.

LDU4ever repped this.
  16. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    He made some gambles that didn't pay off - I don't blame him for trying something, but I do blame the players more for not seizing the opportunity or trying to make something out of a chance that was given. That being said, the coach is responsible for the result and a failed gamble does prove costly.

On another note, the cookout/parillada and all of these things are not really a big deal. They are in a concentracion as a team, eat their meals together, watch movies together, rest and train together. These things are just better left to be kept private and away from our eyes. Honestly, if I was the FEF, I'd ask/demand that coaches + players blackout social media until after the match...the whole thing about livestreaming or sharing all of these details is irresponsible and puts players in a different mindset. Social media presence is important to their personal brands, but not at the expense of team performance and strict confidentiality protocols to ensure that players, coaches, and ancillary staff are solely focused on the match. Our players NEED to understand this point. Why the FEF didn't forsee these issues is something that I simply don't understand. When we train, press should not be present. There are set media times, but some of these journalists had access which was just too open. Our guys get distracted.

I was present at concentraciones for the 2011 Copa America and the 2011 U20 World Cup, and during my time there, NOBODY from the press was around. The Casa de la Seleccion was staff+players, and that's it. I had evening access to do interviews for my university thesis project but there was no information leaking and I was given open access to network and talk, but still on a tight leash with scheduling and times to be present.

midfield.design repped this.
  17. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  18. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  19. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Whatever happened to the liga player who had fake papers?

20. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
  21. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    They proved his paper were in check but the whole situation screwed him up mentally so he was never the same. Sad really now he is in Patria. Duded still 23 y/o I hope he comes out of his mental issues and plays in Seria A at least. I really wish fef cards were still I thing I miss being able to check on stats for these Seria B and Segunda Categoria players.

Whats crazy is that they never investigated his borther. I hope they are half brothers cause the age difference between them doesnt make sense.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/andy-casquete/profil/spieler/371492

22. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Until there's 100% certainty that Byron Castillo is Ecuadorian it's best not to call him up.
    Both their last names are Casquete Rodriguez. Abel was born in August of 97. Andy was born in February of 98. There's a 6 and a half months age gap. I'm not a doctor but it's possible their mom got pregnant right away after Abel's birth and Andy was born premature.

It's also possible there was manipulation in regards to their documents. Stuff like this may still be going on. I look at Byron Castillo's case and I ask myself if indeed there's doubt about his paperwork why didn't Liga or Emelec raise this issue. As far as I know no Liga Pro team has commented on it to a great extent. Teams know that should they raise the issue it'll open up a can of worms. The FEF is privy to information that we will never be. The fact he hasn't been called up yet leads me to believe that there's something off.

23. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ecuador's bureaucracy is so damn inflated. There are unnecessary layer and checks as you need to get these papers formalized.

Go to the notary to get a paper notarized, but before you go, make sure you have some other docs, and those docs tie to government ministries each with their own requirements and proof. eGov is still such a novel concept and I think some layers of the bureaucracy stay just to keep some people employed. One such example - it takes at least 1 month to start a registered/incorporated business in Ecuador....at least! These identity cases have so many lawyers attached to it. It'll be a few more weeks (at least).

Luigi408 repped this.
  24. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito

There was never any actual comments on his brother. When they closed his case they just said that his documents were in check and that it. I dont think they ever investigated his brother.

Andy got thrown into this situation because Octavio Zambrano made a comment directed towards him questioning his age and the rest of the U-20 players. That one comment opened up this whole investigation and literally ruined his career. I honestly feel like Castillo is in the same situation. Same as Dominguez back then when they rumored him to be Colombian. Because every investigation of Identity comes to light really quick. Why has his investigation gone on for so long now ?

The Fabian Tello case got exposed quick and threw a whole bunch of players in the spot light with him. The Colombian guy in Emelec, and the other in el nacho the rest of the U-20 squad at that time.

25. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    His case has been going since dec 2018 tho. Hands down the longest investigation so far.