2022 WC Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by Primitive Ways, Jul 17, 2018.

1. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    We barely had any training,this was definitely a good sign,these guys can only improve.call me a fan boy,but I think Campaña should have come in ,the dude has bulked up,he’s a very smart player.Enner needs to produce or even make an impact.btw shout out to the kid ,who put up the game on twitch,homie changed the title,so we didn’t get cut off.lol

javer repped this.
  2. mac-0n3

mac-0n3 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Juani Cazares would have been solid in this match . He sees the field well and makes killer passes that would have been useful today .

Overall the team played well, a little bit to much passing the ball back to Dida tho. Estupiñan had a better second half , his first half along with Moises was horrendous.

Valencia works better in a Two forward role not as a lone striker .

I actually liked Ferigras , o thought his positioning and anticipation was good .

Feeling confident for the next match againts Uruguay.

cabezamagica repped this.
  3. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I had you guys finishing bottom this time, but that was an impressive game from you. Not the Ecuadorian style of old but an interesting 2nd half setup. Still inexperienced but something is happening there, you'll be a threatening side to face again.

4. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    With a couple tweaks here and there, this side is going to be dangerous for anyone.

We just need a LW and CF to make this team complete.

javer and cabezamagica repped this.
  5. mac-0n3

mac-0n3 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Who is this striker , where will he come from...is it even a possibility?

I dont watch the league matches but is there anyone else , young or on the come up?

6. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  7. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    What were your predictions ?

Mines were

Brasil
    Argentina
    Uruguay
    Colombia
    Ecuador
    Paraguay
    Peru
    Venezuela
    Chile
    Bolivia

8. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    I still have Steven Plaza in the mix, Alejandro Cabezas, and maybe Jose Angulo as future options.

Estrada is an ok option for now just needs consistency Bryan Angulo too I have hopes that he make a good transfer and consolidates him self and starts scoring.

mac-0n3 repped this.
  9. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Brazil
    Colombia
    Uruguay
    Argentina
    Peru
    Paraguay
    Venezuela
    Chile
    Bolivia
    Ecuador

No disrespect or anything, but I just didn't think there was enough experience yet on your side and Alfaro doesn't convince me. But that opinion is slowly changing after yesterday. Even if Alfaro didn't play a "traditional Ecuadorian game" the team plays better than I was expecting.

10. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Anything can happen between Paraguay, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela for that 5th place spot.

Paraguay has a lot of players coming up and I know Berizzo has been renovation the squad since he came in.

What worries me about Peru is all the aging players that need to be replaced and I dont see enough talent that can fill in the shoes for some players. Gareca is a great coach and classifying to WC was one thing but classifying 2 times in a row while having to renovate a squad is tough.

Chile is in the worst position tons of aging players and no youth coming up for them.

I felt the same way about Alfaro but he started doing his HW the minute he came to Ecuador and that what really convinced me that he is gonna be a decent coach for us. You cant go wrong if you prepare your self this much as a coach. The talent is there and if he puts in the work we will have a decent team.

11. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    We actually do have a lot of "recambio" believe it or not. I mean we aren't going to replace Farfan or Guerrero at quite the same extent. That's just not realistic for us. But we will continue to have a balanced squad as there is a lot of young talent performing and impressing in the league. A few of them like Kluiverth Aguilar, Fernando Pacheco and Rodrigo Vilca have already gone abroad. I'm not concerned about our squad, but rather if Gareca leaves, who we will hire.

I agree with Chile, they played well yesterday but I'm not convinced with Rueda and Vidal/Sanchez play well every 3/4 games. It's not the same as before.

12. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Peru is a serious candidate for the 5th spot. Some of their players from previous cycles are still only late 20s early 30s so they'll ride it out with them for this campaign. Chile will have a hard time qualifying. As mentioned they are old. Paraguay will be decent. I do think Ecuador can fight for the 5th spot. We need to win our points when we play in Quito.

13. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Wow, not to shamelessly add to the circle jerk, but I was pleasantly surprised. The back 4 as a unit is U-25 years old, I was expecting some tears. But - we were quick to pressure and just as sharp in our 1-2 passes to get ourselves to midfield after recovering the ball.

If only someone could convince Felipao to give this another shot...

I digress, good to see some familiar faces still active here.

[​IMG]

mac-0n3 and cabezamagica repped this.
  14. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Campana can be our CF if he gets over his mental block. The kid can play pivot well but he hesitates in front of goal now.

Against Uruguay we need to have Plata starting with Preciado or Perlaza and switch Gruezo with Noboa.

15. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Alfaro seem like he gonna be the coach to not let any points go and get as many as possible. Today he was def aiming for that 1pt.

mac-0n3 repped this.
  16. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Two immediate reactions to the game:

-Creative midfielder- who is our guy? More than ever, I still find the biggest gap of our entire squad is that Edison Mendez/Riquelme type player...a brain and conductor. If we had that yesterday, we would have steamrolled through BA because the rest of the match was relatively even. Granted, a lot of teams will struggle with this position consistently because high IQ soccer players are less common than the physical specimen or the goon.
    -Angel Mena and Enner are ghosts. Is it a midfield problem, or a lack of audacity/creativity from these two. I'd be interested to see Campana up front b/c the kid is hungry and also seems to position himself really well.

On another note....WTF is up with the PPV setup for these games? I have beIN and watched the previous cycle on beIN, but now there's a move to PPV? It feels like the 2010 qualifiers all over again and the paywalls are more expensive now than before. Quality-wise, the streaming was fine, but the base of the transmission was still beIN. I'll pay to watch, no problem, but it feels shady.

17. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Gruezo to me should not be an undisputed starter. He's not creative and his passing range is limited. He's a player that should be used if the circumstances dictate we play a more defensive minded set up. Against Uruguay he should be subbed out. I would like to see a midfield three of Noboa, Caicedo, and Franco. Preciado should start in place of Ferigra. I would move Enner to the wing and start Estrada or Campana. We have a young squad and there will be some growing pains. The talent is there. I think as time goes on this team will mprove.

18. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Juan Cazares can be our Edison Mendez type conductor. He has talent and technique to spare. The work ethic and professionalism isn't there though. I don't know if he will be part of this process though. Alfaro to me looks like a guy that will not tolerate nonsense. Cazares was exiled by Sampaoli because of his lack of discipline. Can he still figure it out? Sure. If anything Ecuadorian soccer players mature late.

Enner is played out of position. He should play on the wing or come off the bench. He will struggle against bigger and stronger defenders. Mena will be phased out. I'm a big fan of Alvarado who plays for Aucas. To me he and Plata were the best players on the U20 team.

Campana's future is promising. I'm on the fence about whether or not he should have been called up. Not because he doesn't have the talent but because he hasn't played much this year and it would have made sense to let him aclimate to to new club.

mac-0n3 repped this.
  19. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If I remember Alvarado and Plata had the 2nd most recoveries in that world cup so they know how to cover fullbacks.

I agree we can throw Enner on the wing next match and start Campana. I think it should work tactically since Enner tracks back.

I had my doubts about Alfaro but he showed that he can make a team more offensive if needed.

20. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Enner's biggest asset is his speed and playing him on the wing maximizes that. He can play behind a pivot man and take advantage of space created but if you line him up by himself he will struggle against bigger and stronger defenders. He started playing as a center forward moreso out of need as opposed to that position better matching his skillset.

21. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Juan Cazares is pretty much done IMO, I wouldn’t count on him at all. He is ~28 to ~29 years old if I’m not wrong and if he still having work ethic/discipline issues still then he is not going to change.

cabezamagica and mac-0n3 repped this.
  22. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    And hasn’t played in a while either....

23. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I always thought the same thing about Cazares. The kid is tricky plays high IQ ball. I've personally known him since he was 19 and on the come-up, but in recent years, his behavior, poor professionalism, and inconsistency is his undoing.

24. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Well he managed to go to Corinthians and he played the last 2 games with them it seems all our high IQ CAM are indiscipline first miller then Cortez now him...

At least miller got a chance around the same age Cazares is now so lets see what happens. I also wouldnt keep Miller and Fidel out but they have to kill it in China to deserve a call.

Also unpopular opinion i think Gruezo had a pretty good game and he played into what Alfaro wanted him to. I know if B9 was still her he would say this too. But if anyone noticed one of the main reason our CB and defense overall did so well was because he went back alot to help defend so much. Again he was going for that 1 pt.

We cant rely on Gruezo for attacking opportunities but him falling back to help defend should help give our other 2 mid freedom to move around and build plays\ Counter. Will Alfaro line up without Gruezo playing out that role ? I doubt it. Im pretty certain Gruezo will be a go to for Alfaro because of his defensive qualities.

I think with time we will see alot more improvement from our mid going forward. Again things we have to tweek out with time. If next game Noboa can play i def want to see Franco, Gruezo, Noboa.

25. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Miller was playing well in Tijuana right before the whole debacle with Nahuelpan happened. Miller and Fidel going to China diminished their chances of getting called up to the NT. Both were playing well prior to their move to China though.