2022 WC qualification--tracking the rankings (R)

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Robert Borden, Nov 1, 2018.

1. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I should have said "would have had the possiblity of a higher ranking. Only playing in Central America once every four years at crunch time is not doing them any favors.

2. andregunts

andregunts Member

Real Madrid
    Jamaica
    Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I cant wait for this Hex to start, JAM hasnt been to the last 2 hex rounds and I fancy our chances in this one.

wixson7 repped this.
  3. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  4. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    I had not realized Jamaica hasn't been in the hex in two qualifying cycles.

I still have good memories of Simões' team from 1998 despite being a kid I remember that hex perfectly.

Hopefully they will surprise us but they're only qualifying due to a favorable FIFA ranking.

andregunts and Paul Calixte repped this.
  5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As is everyone else.

Paul Calixte and wixson7 repped this.
  6. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    True. But the others, with the exception of El Salvador, have been present in the last 2 hexes so we're familiar with them.

I'm not underestimating them I just don't know what to expect.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not true. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CONCACAF_Fourth_Round shows you last with 5 points in the Hexagonal for 2014. The Semifinals ended with USA hosting Guatemala where they could have agreed to a draw that would have advanced both and eliminated Jamaica, but I'm happy they didn't for three reasons. One is that I don't want teams to agree to results, two is that USA should have had an easy time hosting Guatemala (USA won 3-1 after an early 5th minute deficit by Carlos Ruiz), and three is that I preferred Jamaica over Guatemala in the Hexagonal.

edcalvi and Paul Calixte repped this.
  8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at recent trends: half of the teams in League A of the ongoing Nations League were from the Caribbean, and half the teams in the last Gold Cup were from the Caribbean. I had high hopes that we'd see a Hex with two Caribbean teams for the first time in two decades (Jamaica, Haiti and Curaçao had decent shots)...but Montagliani had other ideas :mad:

9. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    A Caribbean team hasn't faired well in the Hex since TyT in 06.

That's a long time. Carib teams just don't perform well away from home.

10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but then you see recent events like Costa Rica failing to win a single home game in the NL (frankly, they were lucky not to lose to Curaçao).

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Central America is, soccer-wise, a pupil of South America.

As the game moves away from technique and more into physical territory, not only South America will lose ground to Europe, but Central America will lose ground to the Caribbean.

12. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might want to be more nuanced: Costa Rica and El Salvador may be pupils of South America, but Honduras and Panama have never been above embracing physical football and getting into a scrap. Coincidentally, that's why they tend to give Mexico more headaches (mind you, not necessarily better results, but definitely more headaches) than anyone else.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Panama has only beat Mexico in a meaningful game in the 2013 Gold Cup, when they were playing a B-team.

I agree with Honduras giving them trouble, though.

14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said, I'm not talking results, but headaches: besides Panama beating them twice in that tournament, they made Mexico lose their damn minds in the 2009 Gold Cup, barely lost the controversial 2015 semifinal, and came within a Raúl Jiménez magic trick of derailing their 2014 WCQ campaign. And each time, Mexico suffered through the 90 minutes of bruising play against Blas Pérez, Román Torres and co.

Let me put it this way: ask the FMF if they would rather play Honduras, Panama, or Costa Rica, and they'd choose Costa Rica every day of the week in spite of them being the toughest of the three in terms of actual quality.

nfiniti repped this.
  15. andregunts

andregunts Member

Real Madrid
    Jamaica
    Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Oh I completely blanked that one out my mind. We ended up bottom with 5 points. We started it off well because the first game we went to Azteca and got a goalless draw.

Then couple months later I went to the USA game in Kingston and then we lost 2-1. We let Brad Evans score on the last kick of the game. Then the rest of the Hex qualifying was downhill from there.

So I dont even count that 2014 Hex, it was soooo bad :p

16. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all would've won that game if Ryan Johnson hadn't forgotten where the goal was :oops:

Suyuntuy and andregunts repped this.
  17. andregunts

andregunts Member

Real Madrid
    Jamaica
    Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    breddrin, please dont remind me! Jamaica football can do everything except put the ball in the net. We was a horrible #9 during those times

18. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Can you confirm that Cuba will.open their NT to defected players and nationals abroad? @Paul Calixte

Just read a post online that stated that Cuba are about to pass some sort of law that'll allow players like Alonso and Hernandez of Norwich to suit up for Cuba.

19. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First I've heard of it...and even so, no way in hell any of them would agree to play in a home game for Cuba. At best, maaaybe join a Gold Cup squad, since the Cuban federation probably doesn't have the budget to stare down an international kidnapping scandal should they force defectors to return.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Let's see how many fall for the "no te vamo a raptá, chico, ven a La Habana nomá...."

21. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A new ranking was published today. Not much happened, but Canada has been given credit for +1 point. This could mean a rise from something like 1331.4 to 1331.7.

MEX 1621
    USA 1542 (+2)
    CRC 1439 (-3)
    JAM 1437
    HON 1377
    SLV 1346
    --
    CAN 1332 (+1)
    CUW 1313
    PAN 1304
    HAI 1285

For the next window, I can find that El Salvador is scheduled to host Panama, and Canada has two games lined up against T&T on Vancouver Island. The next published ranking will be after that window.

Earlier in this thread there was some discussion that there was no June ranking listed on FIFA's upcoming schedule, but FIFA's site now lists a June 11 ranking, which I don't think was there last time I checked. This would mean a ranking would be squeezed between the June worldwide window and the beginning of the big tournaments Euro 2020 and Copa America, and this should be the ranking that finalizes the hex teams.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I followed the formula from this topic and calculated that Canada will gain 7.54 with two wins, and El Salvador will lose 5.40 if they lose. That's 12.94, and the gap is 14, so if those are the only games before the FIFA Rankings used for the draw, El Salvador will be in the Hexagonal.

wixson7 repped this.
  23. andregunts

andregunts Member

Real Madrid
    Jamaica
    Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    You know initially I hated the new CONCACAF Qualification procedure, but now after taking a closer look I love it. The lower seeds will have an excited set of games to play through till the end.

24. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's still the June window, so that would not be the end of it. If Canada can close the gap to 1 point in March, that would make June quite interesting.

voiceoflg and Paul Calixte repped this.
  25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's bad news for Canada. They have to play everybody else far away, and in warm weather. They're the ones who got screwed the worst with the format change.