2022 WC Qatar: Worldwide Opponents Watch [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    How about make Scaloni as our new coach?
    He can build the team around Pulisic. As Hugo Perez said — just find the guys who can get the ball to Pulisic where he is most dangerous.

2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'd love Scaloni as a coach.

Of course, it took a loss to Saudi Arabia and a very uninspired game against Mexico, I think, for him to make the midfield switch. But all credit to him for the fix. You almost have to wonder if they had beaten Saudi Arabia anyway if there's no change and they lose in the knockouts. Sometimes a bad loss is a good thing.

I'd also note that Julian Alvarez went from backup to starter over the course of the Cup as well.

We did build around Pulisic. Of course, people are mad we didn't build around Reyna.

gomichigan24 and Burr repped this.
  3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ironically, both Ghana and Iran had their external problems. Ghana had the blow up with their federation re not getting paid. Iran had the political problems at home with the demonstrations.

Was 2022 the worst R16 game we've had? I think so, both on eye test and objectively unless I'm forgetting one somewhere.

I hope we will start concentrating on the R16 games as our yardstick and focus of study. That should especially be so in 2026 when we will be seeded. I'd like to see us look at 2026 as a 4 or 5 game tournament.

Edit: just deleted something because I remembered this will be, I suppose, a 32 team ko round. So, 4th game should be, odds on, easier (along with the "quinto partido")

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You'd have to ask yourself how much of Scaloni's decision making had to do with his familiarity with Argentine players and their "mind set" and if that would translate to Americans.

Burr repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Reyna is the builder not the building.

6. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ganapordiego and Excellency repped this.
  7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Belgium game was much worse. We were fortunate that game stayed tied to begin with because they were definitely badly outplaying us. Brazil in 94 is worse too, especially given that we were a man up on them. 2002 and 2010 are better.

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good article from the Athletic on guys who don’t play at all during World Cups

https://theathletic.com/3571363/2022/12/13/world-cup-no-minutes-maddison/?source=user_shared_article

And for those who denigrate guys being there because of vibes, culture, and chemistry reasons

Although Deschamps was not impressed with Rami at the time, a prankster in the camp is a lot better than a sulker whose negative energy can destabilise the whole group. Indeed, a couple of months before that World Cup, Deschamps gave an insight into his thinking around squad selection and said that his aim was “not necessarily to pick the best 23 players”.

“I know very well that some players will deserve to go to the World Cup but they will not be on my list,” the France manager said. “In Russia, some players won’t play or they will just a little. I do not know who yet, but it will be the case anyway. Football qualities are essential, but the social aspect and the team spirit are both also very important.”

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was anyone else aware this legend was still playing football in his 40's and doing things like this?

Ironic RSC is used as a cautionary tale, as if he's Freddy Adu. He's better in his 40's than Adu ever was & may have been our best true striker ever if eligible. He's had a much better career than Jozy and arguably than McBride. A 20-something RSC would have been a locked on starter for us this WC. Heck, this version may have been on the roster. LOL We have a CF jinx.

Winoman and Suyuntuy repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That first goal was against Paranaense, that made the final of the 22 Libertadores and only lost to the Champions, Flamengo. That Libertad team also has Oscar Cardozo, who is about to turn 40 (Santa Cruz is already 41).

Winoman and thedukeofsoccer repped this.