2022 WC Qatar: Worldwide Opponents Watch [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 5, 2019.

1. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Cristiano Ronaldo heads straight down the tunnel while his Portugal teammates celebrate their win on the pitch.

OWN(yewu)ED and Marko72 repped this.
  2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not that difficult to modify sound of voice. He, probably, doesn't want comentating on a regular basis though.

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    His new €200 contract with Al-Nassr will suffice as consolation and an ample retirement plan.

4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hardest player to coach is the superstar whose no longer the superstar. They’ve been treated a certain way their entire career, and while they not be the player they once were, it can be jarring for that player when they see their playing time curtailed.

We saw the same story at Man U so only a matter of time till he lashes out at the national team too.

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d like to see more coaches doing some of the in studio commentary. Ex players are fine too, but I always the perspective of a coach interesting. It’s not like any of the MLS coaches are doing anything at currently. Jesse Marsch is also doing podcast after podcast with Men in Blazers (though he just met back up with Leeds).

gogorath repped this.
  6. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Not a competitive R16 stage at all.

Here are the goal scoring #'s in terms of the R16's admittedly including injury time.

Winners scored vs losers scored:
    2022:
    Winners scored 22, losers scored 6.
    5 multigoal victories in the 8 games.

2018:
    Winners scored 15, losers scored 9.
    1 multi goal victory

2014:
    Winners scored 13, losers scored 5
    2 multigoal victories.

2010:
    Winners scored 17, losers scored 5
    3 multigoal victories.

So, definitely an outlier World Cup. Lots of crazy in the group stage, but in the R16's, the powers basically swept aside all those teams that generally rank in that 11-16 area of the knockout caliber sides except for Morocco and Japan (and I guess you could say Australia since they fought like wild dogs and kept it close).

Oranje Agony, zlatan_but_a_car and Burr repped this.
  7. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    A lot of --- kickings in the R16's. I thought we lost, but the score kinda flattered the Netherlands a little, but my gosh, Brazil 4-1 winners, Portugal 6-1 winners (in a match that both I and the oddsmakers thought was if not a toss up, close), France throttled a ---- Poland (who oddly played their best game against France in a lot of ways), and England smashed Senegal after nearly falling befine, and sleepwalking thorugh the first 30. Just a butt kicking.

At this stage, definitely feels like Brazil takes their side of the bracket (I'm not at all impressed w/Argentina), other bracket feels like England/France/Portugal, any of those sides could make it through. As much as I love Messi, his side is not great and I don't want them ruining another final, give me Brazil vs one of those 3 Euro powers.

theboogeyman and kennytt repped this.
  8. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    They're easily the best sides in the world right now in terms of talent BY FAR. I want a fun WC Final, it may not be that, but I'll see great players play. I'll take that final every time. As another poster mentioned, France sucked in 2010, and were meh in 2014, and Brazil was not great 2006-2018 (more like their 1986-1990 selves).

Anyway, hoping for at least 3 more great games and we should have them:
    Netherlands vs Argentina
    Brazil vs Croatia
    England vs France
    England/France vs Portugal
    the final

Pretty good matchups and potential.

I am afraid there are far too many teams that really think they have a shot to win it all and may play cynically because of it though.

gogorath repped this.
  9. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portugal have been my #2 team behind the USA for the last 12 years or so. I've watched them a lot. Today's win might be the most comprehensive display that I've ever seen from them. Absolutely played the Swiss off the park, and that's not a bad Swiss team. They have a strong squad, probably top 15 in the tournament. Today they looked like amateurs. It was like watching 2011 LA Galaxy play a friendly against Real Madrid. Different levels.

I really think any of Brazil, France, England, and Portugal can win.

Argentina and Netherlands have a modest chance, but aren't among my favorites.

Croatia...see you later. Scrappy team with some great players. They don't have enough to hang with the big dogs though. They'll be going home soon. They can be proud of their efforts. Modric is a legend. Gvardiol and Sosa are destined for monster clubs.

Morocco were my dark horse and I made some money betting on them to win their group at 10-1 odds in Vegas in August, but they've reached the end of their road. Their strikers are worse than the USA's, and their team is out of gas. Cannot see a realistic scenario where they beat Portugal. It would take a fluke, like an early red card.

Cosmin10, kennytt and largegarlic repped this.
  10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some footage from Brazil v South Korea last night... probably the last ever game at Stadium 974 as it's going to be torn down apparently after the World Cup

ChrisSSBB and kennytt repped this.
  11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose it is difficult to replicate the moment.

OWN(yewu)ED and kennytt repped this.
  12. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Isn't 10,000 that you need to become expert. Coaching fail. Blame the Coach. Bigsoccer mantra.

13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    The Spanish might have taken the three worst penalties I've ever seen professionals take.

theboogeyman and kennytt repped this.
  14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Portugal without Ronaldo is a much much better team and they showed it today. Just like Man U.

DIMITAR BERBATOV!, kennytt and Marko72 repped this.
  15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Luis Enrique for USMNT coach?

theboogeyman, Oranje Agony and kennytt repped this.
  16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sort of wonder if the fact there was less rest between games compared to other World Cups contributed to some of these scores. Brazil is better than South Korea and Portugal is better than Switzerland, but maybe not as much as the scores in those games.

Pegasus, theboogeyman and Oranje Agony repped this.
  17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    In the first couple of games I kept wondering what Portugal would look like without Ronaldo. It felt obvious that he was holding them back.

gomichigan24 and kennytt repped this.
  18. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think that he'll be on the bench again next game?

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    When you win 6-1, I don't think there can be much argument, do you? Switzerland were a solid side. They didn't self-destruct.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  20. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true. Portugal won the 2016 Euro final when he got subbed out due to injuries. Marocco might plan the game without him starting...

21. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just one game. One battle in the whole war.

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I can't imagine that they wouldn't. It seems obvious to me.

23. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should be, though Ronaldo has shown at Man U that when you bench him he’s a bit of a malcontent. Not exactly what you want in your locker room if your Portugal. But you’re effectively playing 10 vs 11 for large durations of the game when he plays.

24. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's the case, he should not play at all. He's gonna be negative thing, a "cancer" in the locker room for sure. The way he walks alone to the tunnel looks very bad. Just send him home...lol

Burr and papermache16 repped this.
  25. Oranje Agony

Oranje Agony Member

Nov 22, 2016
    SF Bay Area
    Maybe he had a hair appointment?.....