2022 WC Qatar: Worldwide Opponents Watch [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 5, 2019.

1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Canada gets to learn what we did long ago. Rolling through qualifying is nice, but it doesn't mean anything for what happens at the big stage.

DGreat, gogorath and Pegasus repped this.
  2. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada defense is a mess...

3. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy the chickens are really coming home to roost on that Canadian smack talk

4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I don't understand how Canada's mediocrity in defense/goalkeeping held up so well in qualifying, only to collapse at the World Cup.

Almost all of their best players are up front or at an outside position. It's the core that has always been weak. Herdman was able to plan around it in qualifying, but it hasn't worked in Qatar.

5. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    They were much more conservative in qualifying -- they gave up the ball and sat deep a lot. Pretty naive how Herdman completely opened up and exposed them in this World Cup.

6. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada's counter almost produces a goal

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #5057 schrutebuck, Dec 1, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    I think this is right. Plus, we have seen that both Mexico and the US have flawed attacks that can struggle to break down a packed in defense.

DGreat, TheRightPants, nbarbour and 4 others repped this.
  8. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PK for CRO...VAR is checking...Ref is checking..No PK...lucky for Belgium

9. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Tough to say. Could be as simple as catching great form and combining it with luck.

10. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MAR 2 -0 ...Youssef's perfect run and shot

11. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow Canada just collapsed.

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Canada had the sense to sit in and counter against us. Bought them 4 of 6 points.

I haven't seen them do it against anyone in the WC, even though all the teams have as much or more collective talent than them.

They got too high on what worked against Belgium (but didn't net any pts) and once the avalanche started against Croatia they never stopped chasing goals/wins. Left their shaky defense wide open.

I think they're an OK side, but we should start bossing them in regional comp. It's beneath us to play them as poorly as they have. Make them think they're on our level, or even above. They're Wales and we're England.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This is a big sucker punch tournament for Canadians that thought they were on the cusp of greatness. Its one thing to lose to the #2 and #7 teams in the World. Losing to Morocco would be another thing....................

To be fair, Canada has lost to all of Panama, Costa Rica, and Honduras in games that mattered this year. They're in danger of not advancing to the Nations League knockouts after losing to Honduras. They did terribly at the U20 CONCACAF Championships (even lost to Cuba), and thus failed to qualify for the Olympics and U20WC.

They came out of the gates flying in qualifying (with arguably the easiest schedule), and then came back to Earth a little bit in the second half.

[Note what the American lineup was in our first qualifying game with Canada. No Musah or McKennie in midfield. Lletget and Acosta started as the 8s. By the way, we WERE the better team in that game. Just couldn't muster enough good chances, which has been a theme with this group.]

gogorath, Pegasus and Burr repped this.
  14. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its so goofy that they set up for the pen, modric stood over the ball for a full minute before they called it back...

yet weahs goal was called off and they had a 3d rendering immediately.

we need some 15 year olds in the var booth who can keep up with technology

15. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    People really slept on Morocco coming into this tournament. That team is loaded with high quality players.

gogorath, theboogeyman and kennytt repped this.
  16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Herdman's tactics have been crazy. Canada is set up perfectly to defend and counter in this type of tournament. I had them advancing and winning a knockout game, lol, because I thought they would be much more pragmatic and play to their strengths............

18. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    O Canada!
    Our home and native land!
    Our coach used the f word.
    And now we’re going home,
    We taunted the yanks
    During qualifying
    Now we’re going home
    O Canada, now we’re going home.
    We taunted the yanks during qualifying!
    O Canada, now we’re going home.

19. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don’t disagree with the point you’re making…..but about finishing third in qualifying in 2002….we qualified on match day 9….a full month before Mexico and Honduras had to play each other for the final qualifying spot.

Sorry for the sidetrack….but that third place comment is always like nails on a chalkboard to me (almost as bad as the ahistorical comments about us only qualifying in ‘90 because Mexico was disqualified)

20. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their center backs were always their biggest weakness, but they set up in a way in qualifying that protected those center backs, and also neither Mexico or the United States took advantage.

Their goalkeeper also played unsustainably well during qualifying and was always bound to come back to earth. More broadly, they overperformed their underlying metrics and those sorts of things usually even out in the long run.

But it was good work for them to get here and they have a good core for which to build on for next cycle (Davies, David, Buchanan, Larin, Kone, and Eustaquio).

gogorath, ChrisSSBB and schrutebuck repped this.
  21. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CAN 1 -2 ...WOW....big goal...looks like a pass but keeper screwed up and it's an own goal

22. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this energy. I think it applies to CONCACAF as a whole.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  23. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    USA 3 Morocco 0 did that to me.

24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Easy to forget that they were the better team against Belgium and could have won that game. Had they won it, things might have gone much differently for them. Small margins in short tournament.

DGreat, ChrisSSBB and gomichigan24 repped this.
  25. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MAR keeper is living dangerously