2022 WC Qatar: Worldwide Opponents Watch [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Maturity is realizing everybody else is a scumbag or a sociopath.

Wisdom is realizing you're one, too.

MarioKempes, USOutlaw16, nobody and 2 others repped this.
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iran fired their coach. Anyone know why?

3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps he was seen at a rally mouthing "Death to The Great Satan!" with insufficient enthusiasm?.......

On a more serious note, he qualified a definitely modestly talented team to the WC.... not sure why they would not trust him to continue to punch above their weight at Qatar....

TheRightPants and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  4. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    There's been no explanation I've seen anywhere. Just scanning around recent articles on him:

-Some have speculated that it was based on results, but that seems pretty far fetched for me considering his 15-1-2 record (with one of those losses coming in a friendly).

-Others have suggested that he didn't have the support of enough players on the team, so maybe there were personality issues involved.

-And then like I mentioned on the past page, there was a report last month that he lost his temper with the head of the Iranian football federation because he wasn't being paid on time.

None of the sources for those accounts seem all that reliable to me, but I have no idea what a reliable source is for Iranian football news. Either way, I imagine this has to leave them more than a little unsettled heading into the World Cup now.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odds are high this is the issue. My immediate thought went to problems getting paid. There's no footballing explanation.

6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico also making some changes

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Less physical nations are going to have a heck of a time in the coming 4-5 years of soccer.

8. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2508 Master O, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    How disappointing! As US fans, we want Mexico to keep embarrassing themselves.

:devilish::devilish::devilish:

Marko72, Rep_Le_Rouge and Pegasus repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico crashing out of the World Cup group stage would be glorious.

They'd probably find some way to blame it on the "evil Yankee / Gringos" like they always do.

Marko72 repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Mexico's draw was fairly kind.

They did draw Argentina again. Its amazing how often Mexico faces Argentina at the World Cup.

As USMNT fans, we should want Mexico to run thru the World Cup (until facing us).
    The more they win, the more our ranking improves. :)
    Canada's too........................

I know that's a tough pill to swallow.

Oranje Agony, TOAzer and Winoman repped this.
  13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know it will happen. The narrative around the flameout at the U20s all over social media was that the focus on dual nationals was destroying the Mexico development program.

That’s cool-we welcome dual nats in the US program. They can go where they are wanted and valued.

14. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico's NT program destroying itself is great. The US fanbase enthusiastically welcomes it.

Marko72 repped this.
  15. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    If it wasn't for Tata's ridiculous degree of conservativism in approach, I'd expect Mexico to get out of the group easily, they have enough young prospects to spackle over the widening holes in the roster and pool (many they had zilch to deal with developing) and Poland is basically a pretty subpar, middling roster at its best, but more generally, it's a moribund squad w/a world class superstar, surrounded by drek and we saw last cycle how badly that situation can go if anything goes wrong w/that player (see Egypt minus Salah in a cake group in '18: toothless).

I have two thoughts:

#1: I think it's plenty imaginable to see El Tri's issues with generating real goal scoring chances and finishing continue into the world cup. It was persistent through the entirety of '21 and WC Qualifying in '22. It continued beyond that into the international window in May/June, 1 goal against Nigeria (the other was an own goal), 0 against Uruguay, 0 against Ecuador, a nice 3 against Suriname, back down to 1 at Jamaica. Their attack simply isn't particularly functional. We've had similar problems at times, but hope that we're over them via reps if nothing else, there were certainly signs as WC Qualifying progressed that increasing reps were leading to ever increasing chance generating. W/El Tri, it has appeared that they don't struggle generating shots, but shots that are actual chances are something else, there seems to be a lot of possession, but not a lot of incisive chance generating play. If that continues, they'll crash out in the group stage. However Saudi Arabia and Poland seem like teams they could break open.

However the litany of yuck performances against teams as bad and worse than the non-Argentina sides suggest they're vulnerable. I have no trouble whatsoever saying that only a handful of available groups, their own, ours, and group D strike me as one's they could have advanced from, I think they'd almost certainly have crashed out of A, G and H, and group E and F would've killed them off as well if not for the Concacaf blockade.

#2: As crap as Poland is in my view, w/a player as clinical and fundamentally world class as Lewandowski, and an opponent as generally short in stature as El Tri, it is not difficult AT ALL, to imaginable Poland playing for a draw or a Lewandowski moment of brilliance, El tri struggling to make anything out of their advantage in possession, and then a moment for Lewadowski arriving and boom, Poland wins?

It's an interesting game, El Tri's possession oriented attack versus Polish solidity, size, and one world class dude. What comes of that?

I can see both results pretty easily happening, El Tri if it were functioning, could and should beat them by multiple goals, but the El Tri we've seen for the better part of a year, isn't consistently functioning at all, and so.....crashing out remains distinctly possible.

The other thing to note, and for good reason, is that nobody is paying any mind whatsoever to the potential of Saudi Arabia. Is it possible they're any good? Everyone assumes, including me, that they stink, as they have whenever they've gone to a World Cup, since the '94 edition when they had a goal of a tournament candidate. Could they be good? They won the home and home with Australia, 0-0 @ Australia, 1-0 at home, against Japan they won at home 1-0, and loss on the road 2-0. They did lose that match 0-1 to Japan in the AFC R16 round and lost to eventual champ Qatar 2-0 in the group stage.

So many fascinating stories this cycle w/these groups, so many mysteries to unfold. I'm very curious and so so so very annoyed I'm gonna miss a ton of games because I'm at work.

The Clientele and gogorath repped this.
  16. What do you mean?

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Tata' Martino is in Boca's sights

I don't think they mean Carlos Bocanegra from Atlanta United lol

The Clientele repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Yes please

2 . England has “several” unvaccinated players in 2022??

20. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting… I wonder which players might get dropped?

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gomichigan24 repped this.
  22. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have to quarantine for 5 days after arrival. So the answer would be to send those guys earlier so they can then train when the team gets there. But do you trust the guys to do that? That's the big thing, young guys in a foreign land with little to no oversight. Thats probably why, the only one I've seen confirmed is Ruben Loftus Cheek and some talk about Kante(France). It's health information so they don't have to divulge it, they can simply say they didn't make the team.

How about US players, anyone remember any unvaccinated? It's an interesting time, especially considering what they may say is vaccinated in terms of booster status.

https://www.si.com/soccer/liverpool...t-unvaccinated-players-in-europes-top-leagues

In this article it's mentioned that 61 percent of the premiere league players were vaccinated. This article is from December so I'm sure that's went up. We will see what happens, I imagine it will start to leak out closer to roster time. The bigger focus is what guys catch it and have to miss the Cup. Some interesting decisions I am sure. As a manager it's going to be strategic, gotta be better.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Team tactics at this point moving in a direction that heavily favors strength & stamina over speed & precision.

These trends happen from time to time.

24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd also say that the trends in refereeing are allowing for more physical challenges and a greater hesitance to sanction misconduct. It isn't just CONCACAF or MLS - across the world, we are seeing more challenges that would have been sanctioned for misconduct either being downgraded or not sanctioned as all. Where I thought VAR would result in more misconduct, I think it has actually resulted in LESS misconduct as crews can use slow motion to talk themselves out of red cards.

jnielsen repped this.
  25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely Mexico fans will have a totally reasonable reaction to this…

1548540255418159104 is not a valid tweet id

onefineesq repped this.