PBP: 2022 USL Championship Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by TheJoeGreene, Mar 12, 2022.

1. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm going to try and keep a season long thread going that features a quick listing of games each week and maybe a bit of a preview of what I intend to focus on watching. Also going to toss in thoughts and hopefully this becomes a smaller version of the PBP threads we do over in the MLS:N&A area.

All times are CENTRAL because that's better than either coast. The abbreviations are straight off the scores page on the USL-C site. Games are on ESPN+ unless otherwise noted (I've been able to watch ESPN Deportes matches on E+ as well).

Week 1:

Saturday 3/12
    LDN v IND 5:00PM
    CHS v TUL 6:00PM
    MEM v PIT 6:00PM
    MIA v NY 6:00PM
    LOU v ATL 6:30PM
    COS v OC 7:00PM
    RGV v OAK 7:30PM
    SA v DET 7:30PM
    PHX v MB 8:30PM
    SAC v ELP 9:00PM
    SD v LA 9:00PM

Sunday 3/13
    BHM v TBR 4:00PM ESPN2
    NM v LV 6:00PM

Tonight I'll be focusing on Memphis v Pittsburgh, Louisville City v Atlanta 2, Colorado Springs v Orange County, San Antonio v Detroit City, and Phoenix v Monterey Bay. That's a combo of stadiums I like, debuting teams, and quality that hopefully is good. Once the Texas Tech v Kansas basketball game is over it's all soccer tonight between MLS and USL with the occasional peak at the UFC card.

Tomorrow I've already carved out time for both USL matches. Should be a fun opening weekend.

2. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kimarni Smith with a goal in the 43rd minute for Loudoun United to open the scoring in 2022 USL Championship season.

3. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    San Antonio's jerseys shouldn't be allowed. I can't see the numbers at all on the black jerseys. Detroit looks like they'll be competitive at this level.

Monterey Bay, on the other hand, are getting an expansion team style whooping from Phoenix.

Home teams have held so far, with the Colorado Springs win over Orange County the most impressive to me so far. Pittsburgh curb stomping Memphis 901 on their home field was quite surprising.

4. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Seku Conneh with Monterey Bay's first ever goal in the 77th minute. Phoenix is still spanking them, but they've been much more composed in the second half.

5. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Handbags in the 90th minute in Phoenix as Monterey Bay has clawed back to only being down 4-2 and they're playing like a team that isn't going to go quietly. Welcome to the league kids.

6. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Great end of the night with Sacramento finally pulling away from El Paso with two late goals to win it 3-1 and San Diego getting the help from mister Owen Goal to beat LA II in the 7th minute of stoppage time.

7. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Should have been 4-1.
    Anyone interested, please post also in the SacRep forum :)

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  8. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good game on ESPN2 with Tampa taking the first half lead and holding it almost all the way to the end until Birmingham gets the 86th minute equalizer.

I don't know how big the crowd is, they're saying over 10k for sure, but they might want to pack certain sections first before opening more in the 47,100 seat stadium.

9. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    All times are CENTRAL because that's better than either coast. The abbreviations are straight off the scores page on the USL-C site. Games are on ESPN+ unless otherwise noted (I've been able to watch ESPN Deportes matches on E+ as well).

Week 1:

Wednesday 3/16
    ATL v NY 6:30PM

Saturday 3/19
    NY v LDN 12:00PM
    DET v CHS 3:00PM
    LA v SA 6:00PM
    MEM v OAK 6:00PM
    PIT v HFD 6:00PM
    LOU v MIA 6:30PM
    TBR v IND 6:30PM
    COS v MB 7:00PM
    ELP v NM 7:00PM (ESPN Deportes)
    TUL v BHM 7:30PM
    LV v PHX 9:00PM
    OC v RGV 9:00PM
    SD v SAC 9:00PM

Detroit gets their debut home match in the USL completely unopposed by other league matches. Hartford opens their season at Pittsburgh. Tampa, Tulsa, El Paso, Las Vegas, and Orange County get their home openers out of the way this week.

I'm intrigued in both of the new franchises matches, Detroit being at home and Monterey Bay getting another crack at it on the road against a team that isn't quite the juggernaut that Phoenix is, though Colorado Springs does have that great new stadium and just beat the defending league champs. Louisville against Miami will probably be interesting, as will basically everything starting with that El Paso vs New Mexico game and later in the day.

The opening weekend of the NCAA Men's basketball tournament will probably limit my watching a bit, but I'm hoping to get a good look at several of these.

10. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Antoine Hoppenot scores the first goal at Keyworth Stadium for DCFC as a USL side. Detroit holds the 1-0 at home with a little over 30 minutes remaining.

11. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #11 TheJoeGreene, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    Some solid games tonight, especially the El Paso v New Mexico rivalry. Even got some stoppage time handbags in that one.

RGV just brought the MLS 10 man advantage to USL with an 86th minute equalizer at Orange County after going down a man in the 55th minute.

Edit: and Orange County wins it in the 99th minute.

12. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Week 3:

Wednesday 3/23

NY v LOU 6:00PM
    ATL v TBR 6:30PM
    TUL v SD 7:30PM
    ELP v LV 8:00PM
    LA v RGV 9:30PM

Saturday 3/26
    DET v PIT 3:00PM
    NM v OC 5:00PM
    MIA v LDN 6:00PM
    BHM v COS 6:30PM
    LOU v IND 6:30PM
    TBR v HFD 6:30PM
    LV v MEM 9:00PM
    OAK v MB 9:00PM
    PHX v SD 9:30PM

Sunday 3/27

SAC v TUL 4:00PM
    ATL v CHS 6:30PM
    RGV v SA 6:30PM

13. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some fun games so far today. The surprising part is there was only one tie in the first 32 matches of the season, and we've already got 3 that have gone final that way today with the other 3 active matches tied as well.

14. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Really good late games with Monterey Bay getting their first win 3-2 at Oakland and now Phoenix erasing a 2-0 halftime deficit to tie it in the 71st minute.

15. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Week 4:

Wednesday 3/30
    NM v OAK 8:00PM

Friday 4/1
    CHS v LV 6:00PM

Saturday 4/2
    DET v MEM 3:00PM
    HFD v ATL2 6:00PM
    IND v LA 6:00PM
    PIT v LDN 6:00PM
    MIA v COS 6:00PM
    BHM v LOU 6:30PM
    TUL v NY 7:30PM
    SA v PHX 7:30PM
    OAK v TBR 9:00PM
    SAC v MB 9:00PM

Sunday 4/3
    SD v ELP 4:00PM

That Wednesday night match is at the worst possible time, starting at the same time as the last of the CONCACAF qualifiers.

Hartford and Indy play their first home matches of the season on Saturday, leaving only Monterey Bay (first home match is 5/7) without a home match after this weekend.

BUSA Bulldog repped this.
  16. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Caught a few minutes of the match tonight at the end. Decent crowd (7731) and New Mexico gave up a 91st minute tying goal for the second straight match.

17. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Detroit and Memphis has been really good so far today. Memphis got the 1-0 fairly early, but Detroit has been pressuring heavily for most of the second half (including hitting a couple of posts) and finally got one to go in at the 73rd minute.

18. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some interesting and entertaining games today. Tulsa and NY2 might have been the highlight. Oakland and Tampa Bay was the only scoreless tie, with a stoppage time goal for Oakland waived off with the offside flag.

19. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    San Diego and El Paso put up a ridiculously fun match today. Great pace, constant back and forth action, and a 3-2 finish in favor of the home team. I really like these green jerseys that San Diego has now.

20. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Week 5:

Saturday 4/9

TUL v PIT 1:00PM
    LV v COS 4:00PM
    ATL v DET 6:30PM
    TBR v MIA 6:30PM
    RGV v IND 7:30PM
    ELP v MB 8:30PM
    OC v SA 9:00PM
    SD v CHS 9:00PM
    PHX v LA 9:30PM

Sunday 4/10

LDN v LOU 3:00PM
    BHM v HFD 4:00PM

Glad to see that Tulsa v Pittsburgh game getting a prime spot unopposed by the rest of the league. They're both off to a good start. Pittsburgh is likely a bit better, but that road start at an early time could be an equalizer.

Vegas and Colorado Springs give us another matchup of teams doing well to start the season with the Switchbacks leading the West at 4-0-0 but only a +5 goal differential while the lights are 3-2-0 and even on goals.

The first Florida Derby of the season is interesting. Tampa is at home and undefeated (2-0-3) and Miami has a point per game so far at 1-2-1.

Phoenix v LA II is likely the highlight of the late games on Saturday.

Loudoun and Louisville features the top team in the East playing at an MLS reserve side that appears to be fielding a good team as well.

The final game of the weekend features two winless teams as Birmingham tries to regain form playing in their new home stadium while Hartford tries to get over the hump after 3 close games and a 0-1-2 record and -2 GD.

4 weeks in and we've got 5 undefeated teams and 5 winless teams.

Undefeated
    :
    COS 4-0-0 12 pts
    LOU 3-0-2 11 pts
    PIT 3-0-1 10 pts
    TBR 2-0-3 9 pts
    NM 2-0-2 8 pts

Winless:
    IND 0-2-2 2 pts
    BHM 0-2-2 2 pts
    OAK 0-3-2 2 pts
    HFD 0-2-1 1 pts
    EP 0-4-4 0 pts

21. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nice fight back from Tulsa in the last 10+ minutes, but Pittsburgh holds on for the 4-3 on the road and remains undefeated.

22. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Week 6:

Wednesday 4/13

MEM v TUL 7:00PM
    OAK v SD 9:00PM

Friday 4/15

DET v BHM 6:00PM (ESPN Deportes)
    NY v RGV 6:00PM

Saturday 4/16

IND v ATL 6:00PM
    LV v PIT 6:00PM
    MIA v HFD 6:00PM
    TBR v TUL 6:30PM
    COS v MEM 7:00PM
    SA v ELP 7:30PM
    OAK v LDN 9:00PM
    OC v SAC 9:00PM
    SD v LOU 9:00PM
    LA v MB 9:30PM
    PHX v NM 9:30PM

Several interesting options this week. I'll be watching tonight's games around the final CCL semi-final. Friday sees Detroit play another night game where we'll see if the smoke and poor lighting issue comes up again. Saturday loads us up with quite a few interesting games, with most of my focus going to those starting at 7pm or later Central time.

23. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I did not expect that thrashing Louisville gave to San Diego.

24. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Week 7:

Saturday 4/23

NY v TBR 12:00PM
    CHS v LOU 4:00PM
    HFD v DET 6:00PM
    PIT v ATL 6:00PM
    TUL v COS 7:30PM
    RGV v SAC 7:30PM
    NM v SA 8:00PM
    ELP v OAK 8:30PM
    LV v LA 9:00PM
    PHX v MIA 9:30PM

Sunday 4/24

LDN v BHM 3:00PM
    IND v OC 4:30PM (ESPN Deportes)

Everything until Tulsa v Colorado Springs is a mismatch in the standings. From that point on, it's mostly games that should be fairly evenly paired.

Hartford is the last winless team in the league and Louisville is the last undefeated team.

25. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Week 8:

Wednesday 4/27

BHM v CHS 7:00PM
    MEM v TBR 7:00PM

Saturday 4/30

DET v NY 3:00PM
    LDN v ELP 5:00PM
    IDN v HFD 6:00PM
    LOU v PIT 6:30PM
    TBR v SD 6:30PM
    MEM v MIA 7:00PM
    RGV v OC 7:30PM