2022 UEFA World Cup Qualifying Draw

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Area 51, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Portugal just drawn into Group A as the first team out of the pot.

Let's see who we get...wanting to avoid Ukraine, Serbia, Switzerland, Poland, Sweden from pot 2 just so we can play someone different for once.

ScpBoy77 repped this.
  2. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #2 Area 51, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    We get Serbia...again:ROFLMAO:

Rep. Ireland from pot 3...

Luxembourg from pot 4.

Azerbaijan from pot 5

Portugal
    Serbia
    Rep. Ireland
    Luxembourg
    Azerbaijan

No excuses not to easily finish top of the group, was hoping to avoid a long travel destination but we drew Azerbaijan.

Serbia and Ireland will be decent but we should win.

3. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Serbia has some nice talent, but they’ve been in very poor form recently. At this point in time, failure to qualify out of this group would have to rank as one of the biggest disappointments in the history of the national team.

4. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Great draw for Portugal to get one of the two Pot 2 countries that didn't qualify for Euro 2020 and an Ireland squad from Pot 3 that honestly might be the worst in that pot based on current form. I watched both their dour losses to Finland this fall during which they never appeared capable of scoring.

And while Luxembourg is a tough nut to crack, there's a big difference between getting them from Pot 4 as opposed to Pot 5. Pot 4 also had Bosnia, for instance.

No excuses to do anything less than run away with this group.

5. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We always seem to struggle in easy groups hoping this time is different

6. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We have a tradition to uphold here. Struggle the first 2 games, drop some points, get everyone upset, and then play catch up and barely qualify. No matter the difference in the present selecao, and past, this is basically the 1 guarantee we should all get use to with Portugal.

7. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    It's not so much struggling in easy groups, it's just starting slow nearly every qualifying campaign in one way or another. But this is quite clearly the weakest group of opponents Portugal has faced since 2006 WC Qualifying.

Serbia and Ireland are in really poor shape right now. They combined for one win out of 12 matches in Nations League this year and Ireland scored one goal in its six matches.

Those two and Luxembourg are going to share a lot of points between them head to head.

8. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Receiving a loss in this group would be extremely disappointing. On paper we should only drop 2 points max, nothing more than that. 7 wins and 1 draw

portugamerifinn and eurodad repped this.
  9. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  10. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  11. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Rafa lucky to get in instead of Gonçalves from Sporting, maybe his experience counted in his favour.

12. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Happy to see Palhinha and Nuno Mendes called up. They both really deserve the call for their performances this year.

Pote must be a little disappointed, but I’ve got no problem at all with players biding their time and getting tournament experience for the u21s

eurodad repped this.
  13. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    At least we won’t have to see William danilo together.

Wouldn’t change a single thing from those callups

also IN before “where is pote Mario inacio jovane!!!! If they were in benfica they would already have 790 caps and be sold for 200m each by now!”

14. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I may be in the minority about this, but I'm glad Cedric is back on the team even if it's only temporary. He's always been solid for Portugal and Semedo isn't playing in a back four at Wolves and there's no need to push Ricardo so soon after returning to the pitch for Leicester City.

I'm also pleased to see Neto keep his spot on the team. His quality is proven at this point and he'd had significantly better G+A numbers if he played for a team who actually got players into the box or just had a healthy Raul Jimenez available.

Pote would be on the squad, I think, if the U21s were merely playing qualifiers, but I'm good with him staying down since it's for the actual group stage of the U21 Euro.

No excuse for anything less than 9 points.

AlexJones19 and JoseEmidio repped this.
  15. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    What happened to William Carvalho?

16. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    hes done. Been benched for Betis for quite a few games now:

17. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yea makes no sense. Rafa is a washed and inconsistent as hell. The fact that he gets call up over Pote is laughable and screams of favoritism.

18. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yeah I’m not unhappy at Cedrics inclusion, Semedo hasn’t been good enough for Wolves this season and Cedric has been better than Bellerin for Arsenal.

It’s also clear after the season that Cancelo has had that he should be starting the majority of our games

19. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Semedo is a huge defensive liability. I don’t want him any where near our NT

AlexJones19 repped this.
  20. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Been a while since we last seen them play. Really excited for this game to see how how our players mesh together. Since our last game some of our players have IMO reach new higher Plato levels. Players like Jota, Andre Silva. Nuno Mendes.