News: 2022 - The race for the spoon - other teams discussion

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    As promising (defensively) as our scoreless draw against FTRB might have been, Sporting thumped the Gals and leap frogged us. So with 11 to go — albeit with two games in hand — once again, we’re in position to take the Spoon. And with Toronto also winning, they’re now 4 points clear of us for worst in the East.

2. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Two weeks later, and we’ve used up our games in hand in a pointless (from a variety of perspectives) week.

Sporting now have the opportunity to put some distance between us against a pretty poor Portland team.

Not looking good.

3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    After tonight, the Spoon is in the bag.

Winoman and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  4. SoccerMullet

SoccerMullet Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 23, 2022
    Game against Philly should count as at least negative one n the standings. On the season, we should be well into the negative.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  5. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Thankfully there is no deduction in points for "incompetent administration", then DCU would start the season at -50.

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  6. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    KC is working overtime to stay in this race for the spoon.

7. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    By beating Portland 4-1? Sounds to me like they’re at least marginally interested in leaving the Spoon to us.

8. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Well they keep doing things like that and then falling back into the mix with us. Another 2-3 unanswered wins for KC and the spoon will be ours.

Daniel le Rouge2 repped this.
  9. SoccerMullet

SoccerMullet Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 23, 2022
    Dip the spoon in poo and just hand it to Levien already. He's earned it. Give Rushton and Kasper two plastic sporks.

10. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Pleasant weather they're having in Orlando

11. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    We are 4 pts back of Houston which has less than half our negative GD. Houston might have 1 win left on their remaining schedule, which means we prolly need to find 3 wins or 2 wins and 2 draws to escape our 2021 destiny from games @NYC, vs Col, @RSL, a resurgent @SKC, VS Miami, @Montreal, and vs Cincy who are likely becoming a bogey team for us. I am not sure I see 5-6 pts in our remaining schedule.

Winoman repped this.
  12. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Well, the Colorado match should be interesting. A real classic, two teams thrashed 6-0 by Philly match up in the "Battle of the Chumps." Be there or be square.

Mountainia, PSURoss and Winoman repped this.
  13. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Winoman repped this.
  14. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
  15. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Exactly. We’re 14(ish) points adrift of the line with 18 on offer after tonight. We should have multiple paths to achieve elimination by the weekend.

16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After DC's win last night, I don't think they can be mathematically eliminated this weekend.

Winoman and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  17. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Dammit. The sooner the better. Anything to wake up the FO, Rooney, and the players. I'd rather we don't have a miraculous hanging on until we miss out and get false readings on how bad this team has been constructed. Less the players individually and more the whole of the team (i.e. putting players in positions to fail).

18. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I think Rooney has a good handle on this. He knows the weaknesses and is using the remaining games as both a "tryout" for veterans and a chance to blood the Academy players he favors. I really hate to say this, but I'm optimistic that the FO lucked into a real "manager" of a football team. Rooney has continued to surprise me ever since 2018. I was there for the "Buzzard Beater" when he ran down someone like he was a 20 year old trying to impress management, the guy lives and breathes football.

19. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I hope so. I kind of expect the worst after the last 14 years...

TowsonDad, Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  20. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Our magic number is five. So a Cincinnati win coupled with a Columbus draw (or better) and a DCU loss will do it. We may be able to stay mathematically alive with a draw ONLY if everything else falls for us.

It’s over. The only thing we’re playing for is avoiding the Spoon. And that’s a dicey proposition at best.

Alejandro 10 and revelation repped this.
  21. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Which can’t happen this weekend, because Cincinnati and Columbus played each other to a draw last night. D’oh!

That’ll teach me to shoot off my mouth before looking at the schedule.

Alejandro 10, revelation and Winoman repped this.
  22. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    So, if we lose tonight, then a Columbus draw in Montreal next Saturday, coupled with a Cincinnati win at home to San Jose, will render our result in Salt Lake City moot — we will have been eliminated before we step on the pitch.

23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn.

Yes, let's act like losing to Colorado is an inevitably.

********ing hell.

Winoman repped this.
  24. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Sarcasm?

25. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Colorado is terrible, just got annihilated by Philly, and has won 1 game on the road all season.

If DC's really has made any sort of progress, they should win tonight's game.