News: 2022 - The race for the spoon - other teams discussion

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 23, 2022.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New year, new season, new thread....all discussion regarding MLS, etc. can go here.

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    ******** Red Bulls.

dadman, fatbastard, Alejandro 10 and 6 others repped this.
  3. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hooray!
    I'll add the Sounders to the list of teams I'll be ********ing. They're fans have been insufferable since way back when Roger Levesque was torching us in Open Cup finals. I'm ready for them to come crashing down, actively rooting for it.

4. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...But they invented soccer....

Adler, dadman, Alejandro 10 and 6 others repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can vouch for this, as the first soccer I ever saw was in Seattle in 1971 or 1972 - and I am fairly sure it was either the Sounders in a previous-previous form, or the UofW Huskies (who I doubt had a soccer program that early).
    Since I never saw it beforehand, that must have been when/where it was invented :)

This, or the evergreen

******** the Metros

should be the first post in all other-team or general MLS threads - so thank you song19 for your efforts!

Also looking forward to a (nother) horrible year for the Miami team.

6. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018

I thought Al Gore said he invented soccer....

7. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did...in Seattle.

Alejandro 10, dadman and griffin1108 repped this.
  8. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul looks less fit and trim with Dallas. I guess they aren’t quite as fitness crazy as Losada.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    After the events in Queretaro, there should not be soccer there for a long time.

ImNumberTen repped this.
  10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I don't recommend anyone look for video or images. It's some of the most brutal stuff I have seen from a sporting event. People were being beat senseless and left naked on the ground. LigaMX tried to look the other way and continued play for last night's games. Likewise, the city government is definitely underreporting what happened.

Winoman repped this.
  12. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek::eek::eek: Wow, that's terrible! People, everywhere, have gone absolutely crazy!

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The coverups around everything that happened and so many outlets (especially English language) simply accepting the local government statements are sickening. There are several local and independent interviews of Atlas fans who were at the game who confirm tens of people died.

Winoman repped this.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The announcer from the game.
    1500541586798788608 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  15. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved those Portland jerseys when they were released but on TV they are really an eye sore. I guess there's a reason lots of jersey designs tend to be very simple.

Yowza repped this.
  16. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Interesting stat, but not at all surprising. Go look at MLB, only about 10% of minor leaguers make the majors and while I have no stats to validate it, my guess is that with much bigger rosters, four times as many games, a great deal of position specialization and situational subbing that a larger percentage of that number are trivial appearances. Like Crash Davis even made it to the show.

17. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    its not an equivalent comparison but the rate in soccer seems to be much higher than in pointy-ball football (I posit one can reasonably consider NCAA to be essentially be the academy/farm team system for the NFL):

How many NCAA football players make it to the NFL? (sportskeeda.com)
    • NCAA Participants: 73,712
    • Approximate # Drafts Eligible: 16,380
    • # Draft Picks: 254
    • # NCAA Drafted: 254
    • % NCAA to Major Pro: 1.6%
    I suspect basketball has even smaller percentage....

Winoman repped this.
  18. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say at least ~1% of the 16,000 make it to the pros, at least the old Taxi squads, as undrafted free agents.

19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #21 Q*bert Jones III, Mar 25, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
    I don't watch Euro soccer so I may be talking out of my hole but this much I know: if Christian Pulisic played for the Earthquakes, fans would be absolutely howling about his inclusion on the US team. He was, yet again, the worst player on the field for either team last night.

I'm fine with players having bad games, of course. It happens. What I'm not OK with is players getting passes based on reputation. Brooks certainly kept getting chances based on his pedigree even when he was terrible on the pitch. Last night, Pulisic was a total drag on the team. He would routinely dribble into a crowd of defenders when there were open players asking for the ball. I understand Berhalter can't leave him off the team, but sub him out, for God's sake.

One other negative note on a night of positives. Zimmerman is a perfectly capable defender but he can not be trusted to build out of the back. Nearly all of Mexico's best chances were the result of his clumsiness on the ball. He needs to know when to just hoof it upfield.

PSURoss repped this.
  20. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    As a decades-long US fan, the irony is not lost on me that I'm complaining about the US performance when they left the Azteca with a point, something that was utterly unimaginable when I started watching this team. But, let's be real, they left two points on the table last night.

Mexico probably shouldn't have hired a coach that repeatedly got schooled by Ben Olsen.

Yowza, Alejandro 10, benni... and 6 others repped this.
  21. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's some World Cup class shade.

MattR, PSURoss, Adler and 5 others repped this.
  22. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Those have to bee the worst MLS jerseys in a long time, if not worst of all time. Nothing about those jerseys says rose city. Those blobs on their jerseys they say are roses, you clearly can not make out. The red third jersey the Timbers had several seasons ago was a way much better Rose City jersey then this monstrosity.

23. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    VAR continues to be an abomination. At least once a week, I question why I'm still watching this sport.

Winoman and song219 repped this.