2022 summer transfer window: CLOSED

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Quakes05, Jun 27, 2022.

1. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Doh, thanks.

2. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    So if we get finally get ANY players, seems they'll be ready to go by our last game of the season, awesome! Leitch has had how long know to bring in reinforcements?!? Must be nice to collect a paycheck with absolutely no pressure of performing your task at hand. Wish all my bosses were as nonchalant as Fisher.

3. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Interesting. What Giovinco did in that highlight video is exactly what he did for TFC the entire time he played for them. Still one of the all time best players in MLS.

So it sounds like Riqui probably will be at least a 'good' player. If he's able to adjust his game to MLS he could be 'great'.

One things for sure - it will be interesting see what happens. I think Barca fans around the world will be paying attention as well.

falvo repped this.
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    City Hall may be hiring. :)

5. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    At least we know for sure Akapo hasn't played since May when Hazard broke his foot. No way is he coming in match fit - this will be like the start of pre-season for him.

It looks like Rodrigues played a full game June 13th. Gremio is in season and so I assume Rodrigues is match fit and ready to go - he probably needs to shake off some cob webs as I don't think he was even on the bench for Gremio the past month.

So I think we will see Rodrigues far sooner than we see Akapo. I know feet don't take too long to heal but his foot was smashed in late May so unless he is Zlatan* like he's just not going to be ready to play.

*Zlatan famously came to MLS after his knee was smashed to pieces, he flew across the world got off the plane late at night, showed up to the traffico the next day, subbed in at half time, turned a disastrous game around and beat LAFC with some amazing goals. All while he was in his late 30s. Zlatan in terms of being an athlete is extraordinary.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #431 falvo, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    The trouble with MLS is a lot of finesse players can’t handle or adjust to the league.

I don’t believe the Euro mentality on the “level of the league” that they keep talking about.

Again, with the exception of the Quakes, if MLS was such a low level league, these superstar players should be tearing it up but more often than not, they fail.

I mean it can't always be the same excuse that everyone sucks and that is why the stars can't play well.

The goals scorers with strength, stamina and lethal force on the other hand, like Henry, Ibrahimovic and Villa tend to do well. Others like Pirlo can't hang.

Anyway, I'm glad to see a somewhat big signing at 23 as opposed to 33 years of age coming over but it's too bad it's always for LA.

QuakeAttack and Scott Rohde repped this.
  7. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

looks like the final one

markmcf8 and bostero24 repped this.
  8. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #433 vjle, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    I think Puig will do well in MLS. He's very technical and has a quick mind--in La Liga, at least, he did not dwell on the ball. That should help him avoid some the physical play in MLS. He is definitely small--same height as Monteiro, according to Wikipedia. (FWIW, his last name is pronounced "Poozzsh" more or less.)

I also think he will be motivated to prove himself. He was the odd man out in the FCB midfield. It's hard to see the field when your competition is Frenkie de Jong, Sergio Busquets, Gavi, and Pedri. Hell, even de Jong is now apparently expendable--maybe he wants to come to SJ!

Scott Rohde repped this.
  9. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Interesting. I see that as a major difference between Euro soccer and MLS soccer - that in MLS players take a few touches before shooting or passing. In Europe (top leagues) the norm is one touch.

I'm super curious to see how he ends up doing here. I suspect it might take him more than the remaining season to fully adjust to MLS though. Also, Galaxy just aren't a great team at the moment - they've improved a little bit under Vanney but still not very good. It's hard for a single player to overcome a bad team.

10. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    I'm crying.

11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Everybody else is loaded for bear and we're barely able to field a squad of 11 starters...

markmcf8 repped this.
  12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    And this kind of signing is almost ordinary in this window. The Apple money is being spent (and then some)!

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    DC United is currently below the Quakes in the standings. They aren’t going to the playoffs, either.

14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The exception that proves the rule!

Quakes05 repped this.
  15. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Akapo official. Not quite as exciting when held up against Bentenke.

16. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Not this year.

Scott Rohde repped this.
  17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Also, according to the quotes I've read here, we aren't going to the playoffs until 2025....

markmcf8, Quakes05 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  18. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I just love seeing soccer in the USA improving and in this window I think it's clear MLS is fully recovered from the pandemic and probably made some gains on the rest of the world.

Next year we have the new format for Leagues Cup which I think is going to push us a little bit further along as well. To date, Americans haven't taken Leagues Cup all that seriously, but the Mexicans have taken it really seriously. The stupid 'Leagues Cup Showcase' games they played the other night had a crowd of over 70k for really meaningless games. The TV ratings were really good too.

19. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    Nah, he's avg at best. Not even close to what he once was.

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Another actual image showing how much this moves the needle for San Jose:

upload_2022-8-5_12-35-3.jpeg

21. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Winners and losers from the MLS Secondary Transfer Window
    [​IMG]
    San Jose Earthquakes

Key Additions:

• RB - Carlos Akapo
    • CB - Rodrigues
    Key Departures:

• AM - Chofis Lopez
    • CB - Francisco Calvo
    • LB - Marcos Lopez
    San Jose left it late in terms of incoming players, with reports arriving in deadline day’s final hours that the club signed right back Carlos Akapo. The 29-year-old was last with Cadiz in Spain. There were rumors that San Jose could add from the free agent market as well. MLS clubs can sign free agents (those not under contract) until the MLS Roster Freeze Date on Sept. 2.

The Quakes’ rebuild continues, with a DP spot opening after Chofis Lopez’s loan expired and two starting spots created as Francisco Calvo and Marcos Lopez depart on transfers. Calvo’s now at Konyaspor in Turkey, while Lopez is off to Feyenoord in Holland.

They've reportedly got some CB depth coming in Rodrigues, who's spent the last few years at Brazilian top-flight side Gremio.

Doyle: Win
    I think they probably got better this window, though they’ll be a little lopsided with the sale of Lopez.

But to be clear, “sale” is the big word here. The Quakes are trying to become the Union or FC Dallas, and for the first time ever they sold two guys in one window – they got seven figures for Lopez and something around $300k for Calvo if reports are to be believed.

Between that and getting marginally better, I’ll call this window a minor win. It’s not going to be enough to push them up above the playoff line, but it’s proof of concept with regard to the overall approach.

xbhaskarx and Beckham7 repped this.
  22. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great. Quakes = Proof of Concept (POC).

May be POS, but your mileage may vary.

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    @Quakes05 Quakes won the transfer window!! :)

24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Just imagine all the tickets they’ll sell to the Equatoguinean expats!!!!

markmcf8 repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Equatoguinean Heritage Night gonna be lit (along with Slovakian Heritage Night). :)

markmcf8 and bsman repped this.