2022 Summer Transfer Rumors

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by tsb11, Jun 4, 2022.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, there was a point where Buksa is a bust was a thing.

2. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I wish! Bruce burned that bridge years ago unfortunately

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore is Abysmal has been on point for nearly 4 years now. Jozy, whatever you may say about him, knows how to build a track record.

5. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    Should the Revs prioritize using their open DP slot to sign a center forward, a central midfielder (to play underneath Carles Gil), a winger or a center-back?

First, how is Henry Kessler’s health? If he’s healthy, then I tend to think the Revs should use their DP slot on a player other than a center-back. With Kessler and Andrew Farrell healthy (and Omar Gonzalez, Jon Bell and Ben Reveno backing them up), the Revs are fine at center-back.

However, even if Kessler is healthy, it still might be a good idea for the Revs to acquire another center-back in this transfer window. But they should seriously consider not using their DP slot on a center-back.

What about a winger? Dylan Borrero and Sebastian Lletget are good at that position, and the Revs have solid depth, including Arnor Traustason and Emmanuel Boateng. Also, although Gustavo Bou has turned the ball over a bit too much when playing on the wing, he has shown that he can be pretty good playing there.

What about center-forward? My sense is: Let’s see how Bou, Jozy Altidore and Justin Rennicks do in the next game or two. First, for the rest of the season, Bruce Arena may be willing to start most games in a 4-2-3-1. In the last six games, he has started in that formation in all but the game against Minnesota; and even against Minnesota, Bou started as sort of a hybrid forward/winger. And, against Minnesota, when Altidore came out, the Revs seemed to play in a 4-2-3-1 for at least part of the time, with Gil underneath Bou and Traustason playing right wing.

Moreover, the team’s record over the last six games is 3 wins, 0 losses and 3 draws. So, Arena might want to have the 4-2-3-1 as his default formation for the rest of the season, which would be reasonable. If the Revs do play a 4-2-3-1 as their main formation, how important is it for them to acquire another DP center forward?

In addition, Bou has been playing well. For instance, his goal against Minnesota was world-class. Moreover, Altidore may find his form. And Rennicks is solid depth.

Maybe a central midfielder would be the best idea. First, how is Matt Polster’s health? Against Orlando, he may have gotten a concussion. If he has lingering symptoms, it might be important for the Revs to acquire another good central midfielder this transfer window, and perhaps they should use their DP slot on that position. Further, even if Polster will be fine for the rest of the season, perhaps the Revs still should use a DP slot on a central midfielder. It could help the Revs build the ball out of the back and keep possession. So, the line-up would be this:

------------------------------------Petrovic----------------------------------------

Bye--------------------Farrell----------------------Kessler---------------Jones

-----------------------------DP-------------------Polster---------------------------

Lletget------------------------------Gil---------------------------------------Borrero

----------------------------------------Bou---------------------------------------------------------

A question: In a hypothetical world in which all transfer fees and player salaries are identical, would it be better (for this transfer window) for Revs to acquire Toni Kroos, Robert Lewandowski or Harry Kane? Maybe Lewandowski should be the Revs’ first choice because he’s so incredible. But what about Kroos versus Kane?

In a more realistic light, would it be better for the Revs to acquire Haji Wright or Luca De La Torre? I would be inclined to go with De La Torre. First, maybe central midfield is a bigger need for the Revs than center forward. Second, although I’m very encouraged by Wright’s improvement, I’m worried a bit about his focus and reading of the game.

Neither Wright nor De La Torre are currently listed as being subject to MLS’s Allocation Process. Here is a link to information on MLS's Allocation Process and Order, including the players who are on the Allocation Ranking List:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-allocation-process

On the other hand, Wilfrid Kaptoum has played pretty well the last couple games, and Lletget has been a good central midfielder in MLS in the past. And Tommy McNamara has been solid this season. So, especially if Polster is healthy, the Revs may have solid overall quality at central midfield. Do they have enough quality at the position to compete for the 2022 MLS Cup?

In sum, I’m inclined to want to see how the Revs do over the next couple games before deciding whether, with their DP slot, they should prioritize acquiring a central midfielder or a center forward.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tajon has been adequately replaced by Borrero.
    Turner has been adequately replaced by Petrovic.
    Buksa has not (sorry, Jozy). When he left, Buksa was top 5 in goals/90 min in MLS this year. Jozy, not so much. If I'm Bruce, I'm going after another Buksa with that DP slot. Unless there are long term concerns with Kessler's health, I'm not going CB there.

edcrocker, tsb11, pwykes and 1 other person repped this.
  7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I don't want a DP spot used on a CB either. But I do think we still need help there.

Feldspar repped this.
  8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, exactly - that would be overspending the DP capital. And, we shouldn't need a DP spot to get a competent or better CB.

edcrocker and Feldspar repped this.
  9. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    If Kessler cant stay healthy we need a #1 CB to anchor the defense and pair with Farrell.

If Kessler can stay healthy we still need a #3CB to provide rotation options. The guys we have currently arent currently MLS quality and shouldnt be seeing the field as much as they are except in emergencies

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I like the idea of looking in Spain - mostly finding someone who will be on the same wavelength with Gil.

davidRN repped this.
  11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    If the Revs are working on something, they're doing a great job keeping it under wraps.

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena: New England Revolution pursuing "goalscorer" during summer transfer window
    By Jonathan Sigal
    Friday, Jun 24, 2022, 12:38 PM

13. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    NFLPatriot and pwykes repped this.
  14. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I seriously doubt they would be dumb enough to sign Jozy for ANYTHING. Biggest mistake Arena has ever made IMO. Second biggest is Omar, who is now below Bell in the pecking order

17. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is April Fool's Day in mid-July in the southern hemisphere?

18. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this April 1?

Oops, abecedarian beat me to the punch!

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think if a team needs a holding forward, he's a very skilled option - it's just not a good match for our style of play.

20. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Good news everyone

21. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018

22. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An incredible mistake is finally erased. Omar, you're next.

Crooked and pwykes repped this.