2022 Summer Friendlies

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by crookeddy, May 10, 2022.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, but people abroad care about them, so others are compelled to, in order to refute the false narratives. The 4-0 win by Minnesota & Charlotte edging Chelsea does something to quell the hubbub about the 6-0 loss to Barca by that crappy franchise down south.

Speaking about the implications on Neville's job, it sort of highlights how incompetent he and that franchise are, and that they maybe should go in another direction. Because he hypes the importance of the game, since a Europhile, and proceeds to get crushed. The Europhile nature of that club has contributed to their downfall that results in outcomes like v. Barcelona, or maybe more importantly (although apparently not to them), sitting near the bottom of the table again.

Chesco United repped this.
  2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Lol so the excuse the English have gone with is "it was the biggest event in team history"

[​IMG]

hipityhop and Chesco United repped this.
  3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Ahh.. I found the link to the article. It's another one of those "Americans do it different' takes that I haven't seen for a while.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...rank-lampard-fumes-everton-minnesota-24547308

I wonder what they'd think of NBA/NHL games with all the sound effects lol

There are even the "THEY ARE TRYING TOO HARD!!!!" takes here:

By all accounts? So author didn't watch the game? lol

4. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I think the ignorant will continue to act ignorantly no matter what. On both sides of the pond. The people who want cheap hits will continue to pander to them, and manipulate them because it’s easy. Just business as usual and it ain’t quelling anyone.
    There are plenty of folks over there who take the time every once in a while to see what’s happening here and understand the improvement.
    This is also the personality type that doesn’t respond to clickbait, so they don’t matter in social media, need to manipulate to get hits on my site world.

Most importantly coaches, owners, scouts and TD’s over there understand. That’s what really matters.

The uber emotional, insecure mob types will come to understand and accept a decade after everyone else has. Even then they will find something else. Tradition, history, blah, blah. All so predictable. Never changes.

5. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It wasn't an MLS friendly, but my favorite story from yesterday is Wolves v Levante in a closed door friendly that resulted in 4 red cards in the 1st half and the ref then allowing the teams to go back to 11 v 11 for the second half.

JasonMa repped this.
  6. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of like the whole Saint Anthony Avenue End bit.

crookeddy repped this.
  7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    ESPN 2 has picked up the Sofi Stadium doubleheader on August 3.

Chesco United repped this.
  8. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Do they? I saw a bunch of Everton fans weren’t happy because their team looked poor. I really didn’t see any credit given to Minnesota or MLS, though.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Juventus 2 - Chivas 0 31,261 in attendance.

I feel like over the last several years, Chivas' power as a draw has GREATLY diminished. Will the Leagues Cup doubleheader manager to sellout SoFi? We will see in a few weeks.

From SB Nation
    Ah... ok, sure those are only called in the USA where they are called all the time I guess.

Juventus are moving on to historic American stadiums for their next 2, playing at the Cotton Bowl and the Rose Bowl.

10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Wisconsin weather ruined the big event at lambeau field today was the game had not 1, but 2 rain delays and got shortened to 80 minutes with no injury time. Robbed the 81k in attendance of more than 10 minutes of game time. Probably going to have a terrible rating on ESPN too. Oh well, at least it's just a friendly.

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Arsenal 4 - Chelsea 0 in Orlando with a VERY impressive 63,811 in attendance for the all-London matchup. Apparently a soccer attendance record for the city of Orlando.

Daily Mail:
    I don't know about all that... The majority of fans at these kinds of games tend to be American Eurosnobs.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Manchester City 1 - Bayern Munich 0 in a historic first ever soccer game at Lambeau Field. Unfortunately, the game turned into a farce after TWO weather delays shortened the game to just 80 minutes with no injury time allowed.

78,128 in attendance, 5k fewer than reported on TV. Either way incredible attendance.

Pep liked one of our most historic stadiums.

[​IMG] What a sight!

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    And finally the main event of friendly season, the Vegas Classico
    Barcelona 1 - Real Madrid 0 in Vegas, quickly becoming the soccer events capitol of the USA. Sold out crowd of 65k in attendance.

From Barcelona's site:
    Actually wrong - roof doesn't retract. Still, stadium seems like it deserves the high praise.

14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Red Bulls vs Barcelona has not yet been picked up for any national TV coverage.

15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I watched the Riverhounds game over Bayern vs. City (easy choice), but did flip over after and was impressed by the crowd.

16. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barcelona - Juventus is 2-2 in the 52nd minute.

It's on FS2 and has been very entertaining so far.

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Dembele has turned into some kind of soccer God in the first half, holy shit.

18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Also, the cotton bowl is simply too big for almost any event...
    Just checked - it's bigger than the rose bowl now.

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Barcelona 2 - Juventus 2 Cotton Bowl 58,127 in attendance
    Real Madrid 2 - Club America 2 Oracle Park 40,630, full house.

Here is how 58k looks in the wayyyy too big Cotton Bowl: [​IMG]

20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did. I saw a couple of shows, and articles,on Youtube and on the net, by supporters of Everton, that did give credit to Minnesota [while, of course, lambasting Everton's effort]. Some went into depth on how Heath's side had set up against Everton in a way that had provided defensive balance with creative out of back play and incisive counter strikes [their language] which had underscored what they saw as Everton's rigidity and emphasis on physical push rather than creativity [Everton's was a physical match, as the breaking of a Minnesota's player's leg attests]. It was actually the first time I've seen serious commentary on how an MLS team played in a match against a premier side--ever. It was clear that some commentators were searching for language to describe what had happened in the match. They know that MLS is inferior to the prem, but they also know when a team has played well and shown up your own side... so how to phrase it? One of the more amusing statements was a writer who set out that the result was troubling for Everton, as it prepares for the Prem, because "with all due respect to Minnesota United, their starting 11 plays as a modest mid-table Premier side"..... It is an exaggeration, of course, but if you think he really meant a modest mid-table Championship side, say Blackpool, you should see what Everton then did to that modest mid-table Championship side.

Friendlies are friendlies, even if not always played in a friendly way. But they do offer a chance for many in Europe, who never have any cause to think of MLS but in terms of the propaganda of derision, to actually see for themselves. And in seeing for themselves, honest men are enlightened.

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    And let's be honest - MLS kind of needed that kind of statement after Miami.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets be honest, no they really didn't

AeroNaught, sitruc and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Ok

24. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's be honest, no they really did.

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Looks like Barcelona vs Red Bulls will only be available on Vix. What exactly does that mean? I thought Vix is like a package for a bunch of channels?

EDIT - I see, I was wrong. Its a streaming service owned by Univision that also has unique content.

AZUL GALAXY repped this.