2022 Season [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by NorthBank, Feb 26, 2022.

1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We played well in the first half but they came out on fire in the second and we had no answer. We made subs and and try to push up but of course that left his vulnerable to the back which is how they got a couple of their goals. I was more frustrated we didn't put away our chances in the first half to take the wind out of everything. By the time we scored our first goal we had already had about three or four near misses including the hitting the post twice. We put those away and we're what three-nil up going into the half that changes everything

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now we pivot to Barca. No doubt RBA will be as full as it’ll get this year, unless of corse we host MLS cup final. :D And good news is that MSG is airing it live at 7pm.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYRB 0-2 FCB

We were always going to be out-classed. But we played our in-your-face game and didn’t let them intimidate us at all.

Our keepers kept the score line respectable. Especially great to see Meara play so well… he’s a very good #2 to have.

And in 2T our 2nd or 3rd string back line did remarkably well against a very potent Barca attack.

But for a mental lapse by Dylan Nealis, it would’ve ended just 0-1. And Edelman had a night he’ll want to forget.

For zero shots on goal, the result was about as good as could be expected.

And at last we get to see a truly full RBA… only wish the South Ward had been filled with the normal crew making their beautiful noise.

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Up 3-1
    Lose 4-5

Well done, lads.

NorthBank repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were the better, more confident team for much of the night, but we completely imploded in 2T.

Gave up a 2-goal lead (twice!) and let them score 4 unanswered goals to clinch a formidable comeback.

And quite a few disallowed goals, including a potentially last minute equalizer.

Oh boy! The best word for the this 5-4 defeat is: shocking. Struber must be livid.

6. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible loss. The vibe reminded me of the early season home losses except for the part where we scored 4 goals. There was a section near me towards the end of the game that started chanting “fire Struber”. I totally disagree. Whatever one thinks of Struber, he’s constantly asked to work with the lowest payroll. They should be chanting “spend some money”! Start with buying Tom Edwards contract. I firmly believe we would’ve won last night and possibly Orlando if we had his leadership and tenacity on the field. We constantly talk about needing a striker but at least we made it this far without one. Maybe our defense is the bigger priority. I don’t know. I’m so sick of looking at the MLS website and seeing so many teams add players while we sit on our thumbs looking stupid.

Deadtigers and Dyvel repped this.
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just caught tonight‘s game at DC. Well I should say I caught the first 55 minutes and then fell asleep until the 85th minute. And apparently I didn’t miss anything in the 30 minutes of my repose. What a sad excuse for a professional soccer match. Nobody deserved to win. And so it turned out.

Dyvel and Deadtigers repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, another stinker. We’re in quite a slump.

Orlando has been anemic this season, yet they seem to have figured us out quite well recently!

Can’t fault our boys’ effort. But we’re missing quality, sharpness, maybe confidence?

Tonight the difference was just 1 goal, enabled by 1 big mistake by Duncan, followed by Coronel who let in a goal that he typically saves.

When I saw that Duncan was back and starting, and heard that Edwards may be gone for good, I had a bad feeling for this game and beyond.

LB/LWB may be a real problem for us, just like CF is.

Klamala, who worked hard, is still useless. The more I see him play the more I have trouble understanding how we paid what we did… actually how we paid anything.

Struber’s job is gonna be on the line if he can’t turn things around with this squad. Or if he can’t get better players in.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #109 NorthBank, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    Excellent win at ATL. But not exactly pretty. We took our chances in 1T And then sat back a bit too much for my liking in 2T and managed the result. (If they’d had 5-10 more mins of play they might’ve equalized or beat us… phew)

And nice to see our regular season streak against them continues for another year. :D

ps. I see no way we go deep into the playoffs without a striker. And Klamala remains useless. Are we really gonna do nothing about that and continue to give him prime starts and minutes?

10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Who is out there and available? I think Ronaldo is out of our price range.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IDK but there must be a few pros still in their 20’s, maybe even journeymen, who could do better. And then there are kids like Serge Ngoma… not sure if he’s really ready but wouldn’t mind seeing him get some more chances.

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYRB 1-1 CIN. Fair result. Even when we outshot them 14-3. Squandered opportunities through sloppiness.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #115 NorthBank, Aug 28, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    NYRB 3-1 Miami

FINALLY a home win! We were barely in the game and down by 1 goal when their red card changed everything.

So yes that was fortunate for us, but still we deserve credit for coming back to equalize, showing a healthy impatience, and going on to grab the lead, during our 40 minutes of being a man up.

Then, even after Duncan stupidly got himself ejected, we still pressed to put the game away. Which Caden Clarke did with a fantastically cool, composed, lethal finish from 6 yards. VERY happy for him, as he’s been in the hinterlands for so long.

Special mention to Casseres Who had a terrific first half. And to Edelman who seems to have cemented a starting role in MF and who took a goal just as well as Caden did. And last but not least Coronel who made some great, solid saves tonight.

The only bummer is that Aaron Long came off with some sort of lower leg injury, which I am praying is nothing to do with his Achilles.

But a very important result for us, or for our playoff qualification and our confidence going forward. Next stop, Quebec for a big six-pointer.

Dyvel repped this.
  16. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes we win at home, finally. Even down by one in the first half I felt we still have a good chance. When they got the red I actually for real thought our chances diminished lol. But we actually looked like a team a man up.

2 things: How does a person who is allegedly a professional at his job need VAR to decide if that foul was a red?
    The whole 90’s theme was excellent. I thought it created a nice vibe in the stadium that’s not usually there. Fans were into the music and went home happy. Hopefully return customers.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good night for NYRB, but not without some good luck goin our way…

We sat back half of the game? And yet we we were just able to weather the storms and managed a 1-0 lead.

And that lead came from a chipped goal by Morgan which was a thing of beauty!

All with a quite creatively assembled lineup at Montreal.

Set a new club record for away points in a season.

Leapt over our cross river arrivals into 3rd place, after they fell to lowly DCU.

All good. Bring on Philly!

Dyvel repped this.
  18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I have been a referee since 1984 and that was as easy as they come!

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #120 NorthBank, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    I was @RBA tonight. Here are the notes I took…

A typically small crowd BUT they were in good voice. Especially south ward!

Edelman is quite good! For me he’s kinda come outta nowhere. And he seemed to run more than anyone.

OTOH, Elias is no huge revelation. But maybe better than klimala?

We clearly were the best team in 1T. Both defensively and offensively

Before I got back to my seat from HT they’d already scored. Apparently that was their gameplan… Play possom in 1T then shock us in 2T? Curtain > Struber?

Then I saw Duncan was in at HT for Reyes. Perhaps that wasn’t unrelated to their goal?

Or maybe it was just Sean Nealis… seemed culpable on both goals? (hard to see)

Just before FT Dru Yearwood climbed into stands to confront a fan. I’m sure it was provoked, but that was sheer Stupidity. And will keep him out of the next one or more games.

Edit: I have now seen the replay and understand that Dru was only trying to apologize to some fan that he hit with an angry kick into the stands. So that was a nice gesture, but the kick that earned him the 2nd yellow was indeed stupid and damaging in more ways than one.

FT 0-2. Philly’s just better than us. And we knew that already.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #121 NorthBank, Sep 11, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    Funny game tonight… 2-1 vs the Revolution.

For much of the game I was thinking we’d get 0 or 1 point, because teams have figured out lately how to play us. But lo and behold we ended up with all 3.

And this game was a great example of how VAR can be used properly and quickly. One decision for us and one against, but both were correct, both involved an immediate trip to the monitor by the HR, and both lasted exactly 1 minute.

The winning PK was by Morgan, but perhaps the most important and pivotal moment was Casseiras‘s equalizer. He had a really good game, coming in for Dru Yearwood who’s stupidity last week earned him a four game suspension. So we do the run in with Christian.

Onward to the Bronx! But still it’s hard to imagine us progressing too far without some type of potent CF. And sadly I don’t think Elias is that guy.

Ps. Next Saturday’s game does not seem to be on MSG, only YES? If true, that’s too bad because I think I can only stream on MSG.

Edit: I now think it is gonna be on MSG :)

22. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think CF is Elias preferred position but still that spot is a black hole sucking the life out of this team. I thought I heard the tv announcers say they would show it on MSG. I hope so. I too can only stream MSG.

23. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I get so angry with this team. Years and years of no cups and when it comes time to make some bold moves that actually get close to one, it's always something.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My DVR guide doesn’t show it, but when I went on MSG’s website they say they will be showing it with pregame starting at 12:30. So we should be able to stream it on MSGgo too

25. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use fuboTV and they’re showing it on MSG.