2022 Season [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by NorthBank, Feb 26, 2022.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blame that on FIFA? Good luck to you and to us. Given that we're in top spot I hope that brings out more than a few thousand. ;)

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just finished watching our home opener vs Minnesota. Not sure why we regressed so much tonight. But as good as our passing & pressy ball-winning was the first 2 games, it was poor tonight. Morgan the wonderboy from last game came crashing back to earth. And Klimala, what can I say? I just don't like him... never have really. And it's not just that he took a poor PK which would've earned us a point. He just seems like someone who thinks he's super gifted when in fact he's just barely OK.

Onward.

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t necessarily say we regressed. We created many opportunities but didn’t finish. So more accurately, our finishing regressed but also give credit to their goalkeeper. He made a couple of fabulous saves. Klimala to me seems to lack that killer bite in his game. I hope Fletcher can be the answer. To small of a sample to make a real observation but when Luquinas came on, seems like the guys avoided passing to him when he was wide open. Probably need to get to know each other. What stood out immediately was that when he had the ball, he took on players 1v1 and beat them. I’m still optimistic about the season but feel we threw away points last night.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #29 NorthBank, Mar 21, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    I just finished watching our game today. For our players I’m sure it feels like a loss instead of the 1-1 draw that it was.

Fletcher might feel horrible because he made his debut at 94’, got his first touch on their end line , and instead of retaining position by himself or by passing, he coughed up the ball and Columbus got on their bikes for the equalizer… <30secs later. Our backline had a 2-man advantage against them but backed off and let them score

But honestly at 80’ when it was 0-0, I thought to myself we’re pretty lucky if we get out of this with 1 point. And I still think that.

Etienne had a 1-on-1 with Coronel that you have to bury if you’re a striker. Before that Zardes had a wide open net from 5 yards which he completely flubbed. He had another big miss too earlier.

Something tells me the first four games might portend what the rest of the season is going to be like: no great consistency or straight line trends.

We shall see. Onward.

5. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s hard to tell if the draw feels horrible because the last second goal or fortunate because we should’ve lost if not for their incompetent forwards.
    I wouldn’t make any judgments just yet after four games because we still haven’t played with our full team yet. I’m still optimistic about the season. We haven’t played a single minute with Luquinas, Fletcher, Casceres, Carmona, Klimala, and Amaya on the field at once. I just have this feeling with some more training time, once we get them together in the lineup, we’ll take off big time.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't able to watch the Foxboro game live but I just caught up with it.

At 89' I was going to write something like: an entertaining, hard fought, pressing on both sides match... about as entertaining as it gets with only 10 SOG overall combined.

I was also going to say that Amaya should've never been sent off because: (a) it wasn't really a yellow card, if even a foul, and (b) he really shouldn't have been on the pitch, after both he and Yearwood picked up yellows in 1T... Struber's leaving them both in was a head-scratcher I thought.

And that Coronel was on his way to practically solely earning us a result at a very tough place.

But then in 90' none of that mattered, because we were the beneficiaries of a wonderous gift from Owen Goal!!! And a beauty of a ricochet at that.

It's the kind of luck that just puts a huge smile on your face, and the kind of thing that gives you irrational hope that maybe the rub of the green is in our future.

Our defense was very solid all night, and for that we deserved the result. :D

7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We really need to fix our home form. We are 3-1-1. Which is great after 5 games but when the loss and draw are at home, it becomes a concern.

Hope Fletcher continues to improve.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way too small a sample size to conclude anything about home vs away.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #34 NorthBank, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    Just finished "watching" the Montreal match. I say that because I was really doing tax prep and was only paying scant attention with it on in the background.

Up until 70th minute or so I was thinking we were gonna get the rub of the green for a 2nd straight match. Our goal came off a lucky deflection. We seemed unable to bag a 2nd but somehow it seemed like we'd sneak through by dint of being "the better team"?

Then they equalized on our laxe defending of a cross. And I woke up to watch closer. 10 mins later they went ahead with a total cock-up between Coronel & Edwards. I think the fault likes mainly with our usually flawless keeper.

As far as luck goes, it seemed that few calls went our way. The ref was both quick to issue yellows, while avoiding calling other pretty clear infractions.

Others who watched more closely than me might offer other/contradictory insights.

p.s. It looks like a couple thousand folks made it out to RBA today. Good on them, but I'm glad I wasn't one.

10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We have to fix this home record. It is not acceptable! Early days and all but a very bad sign

11. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the most annoyed/angry I’ve felt after a loss in a long time. Outplayed them for a long time and took a 1 goal lead. Then the ugly pattern of not scoring that second goal reared it’s ugly head once again at home. We continue to let our opponents hang around until inevitably they scored an equalizer. Their second comes off a huge mistake. It’s rare, it can happen. The other thing that annoyed me is Struber’s substitutions. After Montreal had gained momentum in the game he pulls Luquinas off for a defender? And he continues to put in that useless statue Tom Barlow. He adds nothing and is a downgrade over Klymala even when Klymala is not doing well!! You had Fletcher there use him in that spot if you want to sub Klymala. Fletcher right off the boat has got to be better than Barlow.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I yearn for a future where we have one or two CF's who can actually score a goal. The 2 men's club teams I support both have none at the moment and it's really debilitating.

That said, I'm not sure if that's the main reason why NYRB lost last night.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the Dallas match on replay, while working on taxes. Actually I didn't really watch it closely until 2T.

We played pretty well and completely dominated them for virtually the whole game. Their Plan A seemed to be to play for a draw and waste time, which they did well. And Plan B was to wake up mid-2T and try to steal a goal on the counter, which they almost did, near the end.

In the meantime we had gobs of dangerous chances, many from inside the 6-box, several of which hit the woodwork or got saved. This game coulda pretty easily been 6-0. So luck wasn't exactly in our favor.

But at the same time, if you felt we were a little lucky not to give up all 3pts, I wouldn't argue with you too much.

Definitely some positives to take from individual & team performances. Not sure if we can replicate that against other teams who come out to play throughout the match. We shall see.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a crazy game at Soldiers Field! We end up with a 2-1 comeback win, for 5 out of 5 on the road.

But the crazy came mostly through the officiating. We had two debatable VAR calls which went against us, awarding their PK and disallowing our goal for offside. Both were marginal/debatable/dubious calls.

We didn’t give up, scored a fantastic equalizer thanks to Luquinhas and… Klymala if you can believe that.

And then there was another debatable VAR review which this time went our way and Klymala buried a PK for his second goal of the night.

oh and I forgot to mention The 1 hour weather delay just before HT, a waterlogged pitch for the whole of 2T, AND they had 2 men sent off in the last 10 minutes.

It seems we’re almost blessed this season so far. So many things are going our way. But you make your own luck as they say. And that definitely applies to our boys.

Onward!

15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't read the article but I don't see why anyone would take the Watford job. You're likely be out on your butt in a matter of months. Those owners are crazy. OTOH I can see how he'd like to give England another try. He seems a good coach. But I surely hope he sticks around at least until the end of this season. And I think to have a strong case for Championship or EPL, he really should demonstrate his legitimacy with either Supporters Shield or MLS Cup. Or maybe MLS Cup runner-up would be just barely good enough... though super frustrating for everyone involved.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s time for another home game. I’ll be there. We haven’t won at home so I’ve taken steps to break the jinx. The first couple seasons at RBA they sold a beer from Salzburg called Stiegl. Seemed to win every time I drank it. Found it last week and bought it. I’ll have one right before the game and hope that leads to us finally scoring at home and winning.

18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I salute you for doing your duty

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another fightback result vs Timbers. Just not the 3pts we yearned for at RBA. But I’ll take the point.

Am increasingly impressed by Luquinas. He was an energizer bunny, and an effective one at that.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #45 NorthBank, May 8, 2022
    Last edited: May 8, 2022
    Another fightback result vs Timbers. Just not the 3pts we yearned for at RBA. But I’ll take the point.

Am increasingly impressed by Luquinhas. He was an energizer bunny, and an effective one at that.

21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The poor home record thing is getting on my nerves!!

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a GREAT night in DC in the US Open Cup, beating them 3-0. They never really threatened us.

Luquinas only played 60 mins, but he's still easily my MOTM. Scored the first, assisted the second. He was great tonight, and I'm thinking he's our best winter signing. Hope he just stays healthy.

We got to see a bunch of our youngsters, most notably Edelman & Harper who did well. Our third goal was as beautiful a FK as it gets and went D.Nealis -> Harper -> Ryan (the latest Chatham NJ prodigy? not sure he's the CF we so badly miss but his finish was sharp & composed)

Oh, and Tolken came off for... Jason Pendant! Whoa, haven't seen him for so long I figured we traded/loaned him away.

The main downside, and it could be a big one was that Aaron Long went down in the 8th min with some kind of soft tissue thing with his right leg, and I got the impression it was his achilles again... ugh. He walked off OK but with a slight limp. Triple cross some fingers everybody!

Oh and he was replaced by Monzon, another youngster who I don't recall seeing before. He also did well but unfortunately also had to come off in 2T with an apparent hammie.

Anyway, onward with confidence to the R16!

Dyvel repped this.
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luquinhas stars again in a very hard earned point at Philly. After we went down to 10 men due to the younger Nealis’s ill-advised tackle. Whuke his older bro made an absolutely clutch double save off the goal line.

Onward!

… to Weds vs Fire.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy game tonight vs Fire. The curse of RBA was just about to rear its ugliest head, when it relented in the 92nd minute, allowing us to equalize 3-3 on a beautious outside of the foot cutback by Omir and a quick reaction finish by Klimala, a late but effective sub.

Dyvel repped this.
  25. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can’t beat THAT team at home, when exactly are we going to win a home game?

26. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor match in Miami tonight. We had a great start, more of the ball and more shots but still managed to lose 2-0, and end our road unbeaten streak. Time to reset and not squander the nice season opening we've put together.

Quick turnaround for Charlotte this Weds in the US Open Cup.