2022 Qatar - Moral Ethical Issues

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by billycanuck, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bunkmedal

bunkmedal Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Our old friends Freedom House seem to think otherwise:

There are issues with women's rights in Qatar (e.g. you need to have the permission of a male relative to get a driving licence) but that does not amount to being "property". You keep setting this up as if it's a debate over whether Qatar is the most perfect society in the history of the world. It's a debate over whether these supposed human rights abuses are of such a magnitude that they should be banned from hosting the World Cup.

Most of your arguments in this regard are stock cliches about Islam and have little to do with Qatar itself which is, by all standards in the region, one of the most liberal and respectful of women's rights: equal pay, full equality of citizenship, women's suffrage in elections, etc. Why we should make a stand on Qatar - a country broadly moving in the right direction and where any lingering problems with the legal system (like rules on driving licences) are fairly limited - is beyond me.

2. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    That link you provide shows exactly how poorly women are treated in Qatar. There's too much discrimination to even list.

3. bunkmedal

bunkmedal Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Any danger of you reading the rest of the post?

4. bunkmedal

bunkmedal Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I'm guessing there isn't any danger of that.

Final word on this subject and then I'm giving up. What's basically going on in this thread is that I'm (naively) attempting to argue over whether Qatar should have a right to host the World Cup. I'm accepting that there are certain laws and practices in Qatar (like many other countries including, incidentally, Brazil and Russia) which I personally disagree with. I'm accepting that there are even things which go beyond personal disagreement and are worthy of universal condemnation. I see absolutely no reason for these things, however, to result in Qatar being banned from hosting the World Cup.

You're essentially arguing about something else. Your intent is simply to unearth examples that add weight to your negative view of Islam - so you'll ignore, for instance, the general picture in Qatar and just pick out whatever aspects of the situation add weight to your general point of view that Islam is an evil, violent religion. If I make a post (as above) saying that I accept there are some issues with women's rights in Qatar, but that the broad picture is by no means a reason to ban them from hosting the World Cup, you don't read the second part of that sentence, you just latch on to "problems with women's rights" and claim it as yet more evidence for your theory that Muslims are all women bashing savages.

Put simply, we're not really arguing about the same thing. I'm arguing about whether a country can host a football tournament; you're arguing about whether Muslims are or are not the scum of the earth. In a word, it's pointless.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :D

Quiet as it's kept, the ME is up on fabric technology. The covering women wear in winter is not the same as what they'd be wearing in summer. I've taught and coached at a place where young Muslim women dressed modestly even on the pitch.

But, as Dave Chappelle implied, you're the ultimate hustler, right? Right. So instead of complaining, why not just go home and think about how to stack the odds in your favor next time? I'm sure it can be arranged.

6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    /thread.

A sport where we can't actually have any openly gay plays is wringing is hands about Qatar?

Really?

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What are the chances of that? Hmmm... I'm gonna go with... 'slim' :D
    I don't think concerns about human rights can be described as simply 'personal preferences'.
    Then it shouldn't have been awarded the WC, should it.
    Bearing in mind the carbon footprint of the event, (bad enough at the best of times), not by a LONG shot.
    Either Egypt or Turkey would have been better than this but, of course, they haven't got any petro-dollars, haver they.

Unless FIFA is going to totally abandon it's position on players changing federations it's perfectly obvious that Qatar, with a native population of less than 150,000, won't be able to scrape together a team able to compete. It's one thing to have a few players that are the offspring of 'guest workers' like Germany or former colonies like England but to import almost the entire bloody team, (as will likely happen here), makes the whole thing a mockery.
    I'm guessing that fella's not too popular out there...
    Er... who says we can't? :confused: I don't think most people give two shits nowadays, tbh.

8. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but you could have removed the sweeping, hateful statements from the thread and left it where it was. There was other conversation going on here you know? Instead of moderating you just dumped the thread somewhere else, throwing it to the wolves.

You basically let the trolls win.

9. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^
    |
    |
    Irony

10. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    I have said time and time again Qatar isn't as bad as other Muslim nations.

It's funny how you changed your position from "we have to respect their culture" to certain things they do are wrong.

Anyways for the last god damn time my MAIN concern with hosting the tournament in Qatar is security. There is an Islam problem in the world and to suggest an event of this magnitude in the heartland of the Islam problem isn't going to pose a unique security concern is ridiculous.

Islamists have 12 years to plan this.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So stay home, Ultimate Hustler. That way, you can put your concerns to rest- at least as far as they affect you and your family. Once you decide not to attend, any other concerns you have are immediately reduced to the point where the emo display you've put on in this thread would no longer be necessary.

It would take less than 12 seconds to tell your family that you all are boycotting the 2022 World Cup.

12. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    So apparently, because Qatar has different laws to the USA, it shouldn't be awarded the World Cup?

For the people who are concerned about "security", can you tell me how many people have been killed in terror attacks in Qatar, say, in the last ten years? And compare that to another country such as, for example, the USA?

And on the topic of human rights, how many innocent civilians have the Qataris killed around the world, compared to, say, the USA?

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

It's official. You're a moron.

14. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Yeah, that was proper funny. Maybe FIFA should reduce the time available to the host countries to prepare such events, to ensure that the terrorists can't plan any attacks.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, you know how in school you have "pop quizzes"? A "pop World Cup" would work the same way.

It would require ALL potential host nations to be ready NOW, and this format would definitely keep all the national teams on their toes, AND the "Islamists" wouldn't be able to plan their attacks as well as they have for the past few world cups.

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is not a legitimate discussion of spirituality and religion any more than it's a legitimate discussion of Qatar's potential problems with its World Cup bid. It has devolved into an open forum to express prejudices.

Closed