2022 Qatar - Moral Ethical Issues

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by billycanuck, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billycanuck

billycanuck New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Mod suggested creating a thread about this, so I thought I would help! :)

2. billycanuck

billycanuck New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  3. Danmolaijn

Danmolaijn New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    My post from the prior thread:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palynka [​IMG]
    What about footballers like Mario Gomez who play for their national teams and are openly gay? What treatment can they expect in a country where homosexuality is illegal?

I don't understand why things like these aren't relevant and why discussion can't proceed here without being moderated.

Agreed. I would love to see how Germany would respond to Gomez's banning from participation... Would they leave Gomez at home, or not participate at all?

4. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Why would Qatar ban Gomez from participating? It is not illegal to be gay in Qatar, it's just illegal to have gay sex. As long as he keeps it in his pants for the duration of the tournament, there's no issue.

Not saying it's a fair law, but it's certainly not going to result in him being told he can't compete.

5. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    And the question is not about Mario Gomez (as he probably will be too old in 2022 for the Germany NT) but about any hypothetically gay player.

6. RapidRush

RapidRush Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Caldwell
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar will be the worst World Cup in recent history.

Of course I'm a little bitter that the U.S. did not get it but Qatar? Really?

I have no doubt they will have the facilities ready to go. That's not my concern.

It's the lodging, security, transportation, weather (even if they say they will be air conditioned), and other problems that I just don't see them over coming. There is NOTHING in Qatar to do on top of that, other than get blown up.

My brother served in Iraq and got a "pass" to go to Qatar for a couple days. After one of the bases was attacked down there they brought him back to Iraq. He said the place was a "sh!T hole" and never wanted to go back.

Didn't we learn anything from South Africa? It's nice to let someone new do it, but if you want to make any money on the sport you don't put it in a small, unpopulated country. There won't be anyone at the matches in Qatar. You thought S.A. was bad? It won't be anything compared to 2022.

This whole thing stunk of corruption for months now. Still does. Oh well. When FIFA decides it wants to make money based on fan support at games, and viewership then come call us when you are ready.

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well, they are going to build a lot of air conditioners. how about that for Global Warming?

8. Danmolaijn

Danmolaijn New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, that and he never officially came out as homosexual.

And under Qatar law, 'sodomy' is punishable by up to 5 years in prison and/or 90 lashes regardless of sexual orientation. So no oral sex in Qatar in 2022!

9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Just for the record, Mario Gómez is actually openly heterosexual.

10. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's FIFA hope for this tournament then? Germany was a "time to make friends."

What's Qatar? "Ok we'll give you money if you don't talk about our infrastructure problems and FIFA'S corruption"

11. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Why should he be treated differently from the players who bring their partners?

And there was a case of several Filipinos being deported for being homosexual. I doubt they caught them all red handed having gay sex, so how sure are you that they would be ok if they did not have sex?

12. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    apparently it's supposed to be carbon neutral in some way even with the air conditioning.

but all these stadia will be domes then, very strange.

And will women want to travel?

how tight will security be for the Americans, English?

what if Israel makes the WC Finals?

13. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep, I'm pretty sure he's just been urging gay players to actually come out and admit to it, despite not even being homosexual. This leads me to believe that there's someone playing for Bayern who could be gay but only Mario knows?

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, I understand that but the point you're missing is that FIFA has MADE the matter political by this decision. If they hadn't chosen a country that doesn't allow gays, Jews, (although they can be given special dispensation... apparently :rolleyes:), drunks, (I've no IDEA where most of my and your lot are going to end up:D), people who 'fornicate', etc, etc, then we wouldn't have a problem... but they DID!

It's THEM that have made the political and cultural situation on Qatar an issue... not us. If we're not allowed to discuss the ramifications of a FIFA decision in a FIFA thread, what shall we talk about? Our favourite colour?

15. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    It is illegal to be gay in Qatar. Sharia forbids homosexuality. The charge of sodomy simply means being charged for being gay.

Also note blasphemy is a crime. So if you're going there don't criticize Islam or else you'll be locked up.

16. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I'm not saying it's right that a gay player is treated differently, I'm just saying the fact they are homosexual is not going to cause them to be banned from competing.

Well, since identifying as homosexual is not a crime in Qatar I can only assume that they were convicted of the actual act of sodomy.

I have several openly gay friends who have visited (and one who's even lived in) Doha.

17. Danmolaijn

Danmolaijn New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not only that there was that American in the 90s that got 100 lashes for "homosexual activity".

But hey, Qatar has 12 years to get their Shari Law adjusted to the West's social norms.

bwahahahahaha

18. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

THANK YOU. This is by far the biggest issue, hands down.

19. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing he was not female
    or a jew
    or a foreign worker

but of course, I'm sure he was treated SO well because he's GAY.

20. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Sauce? I am no expert in Qatari law, but I am almost 100% certain this is incorrect and the crime of sodomy there relates to homosexual acts, not the fact that someone self-identifies as gay.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this somewhere else. I am sure that the Qatari government will look the other way when it comes to many of their conservative rules the summer of 2022. I highly doubt that the police will raid hotel rooms and arrest homosexuals. People holding hands or kissing in public may get tickets or something, but I do not think anyone will get lashes for dressing the wrong way.

Alcohol and prostitutes will flow in Qatar like they do anywhere else (maybe they will make the drinking age high say 30:D).

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, tbh, it's TOTALLY beside the point. It should NEVER have been awarded to a country where it's even an issue. The whole thing is a farce.

23. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    What is your point? I am not claiming that the laws on homosexuality in Qatar (or any other of their laws) are fair. Merely that a player is not going to be banned from competing just because they openly identify themselves as gay.

This thread needs to retain some sort of relevance to football if it's going to stay in this forum, guys. If it just becomes a general Qatar/Sharia bashing thread it will be moved to Politics.

25. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    They never actually catch people doing homosexual acts, they find out a person is gay and then they charge them with sodomy or something else. Of course if you're not a slave type they might let it slide but if they don't like you or you're the wrong color or type of person they'll arrest you for sodomy.

You're logic doesn't make any sense. Everyone knows sodomy laws exist to persecute gays, not gay sex. They'd have no idea whether or not you've had gay sex.

It's like saying you can't be arrested in Saudi Arabia for being a witch but only for practicing witchcraft.