News: 2022 Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jan 8, 2022.

1. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Woah. Guess the rumors are true!

Trusty to Arsenal this summer:

Bringing in Keita means this move has probably been in the works for a bit.

Sports Yak repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that a transfer fee was not included in the announcement. Makes me wonder if its not particularly high...

Sports Yak and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  3. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I thought the same thing.....

Also....with all these transfers out in the last 12 months - makes you wonder why they haven't bought much either. There's gotta be a big stockpile of cash just sitting there in net transfer monies.

Maybe a big splash this summer? Is that too much to hope for?

Ah who am I kidding.

****Side note. I think Yapi may just grow into a HUGE success for the Rapids. He's got the right build for a striker - and at 17 he's still got plenty of growing both physically and mentally. Maybe the Rapids are banking on him to be our big #9 lol

4. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Worth noting, Philly gets 30% of whatever this non reported transfer fee was:

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    m vann and COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a low fee due to the supposed connection between Stan's clubs

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Arsenal's announcement:

COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #133 m vann, Jan 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    This is an awesome move for Trusty. A lot of people were down on Trusty when he left Philly. He just couldn’t get his footing right in Philly for whatever reason. His potential was clear but could it be tapped was the question. His rise and his development has been nothing short of spectacular. Fraser should take great pride in Trusty’s rise. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I think he can be as good or better than Miles Robinson. Trusty is going to surprise some people. Arsenal is a massive leap. I don’t know if he’ll play an actual competitive match for Arsenal. It’s a tall order but it also wouldn’t surprise me if he busted his ass and somehow forged his way into the conversation for team selection. If not…. I hope a loan in Europe is an option. It may have to be if he can’t earn a coveted Work Permit. Either way, I want this kid to succeed. Trusty has earned it. Unbelievable for him and our club. This is what development is all about.

Sports Yak, TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  9. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in light of Trusty moving to Arsenal in the summer and the fact we have our first competitive fixture in little over 2 weeks, I wanna review what I said back in November going into the offseason:

Unfortunately as the days and weeks pass, its looking less and less likely this is going to get accomplished, and Padraig has (yet again) failed to deliver on this critical need. It really is pathetic how many transfer windows (literal years) this has dragged on for. It borders on incompetence.

He's gone so we're good there. Losing Acosta and Bassett looks bad on paper, but I think the midfield is actually in pretty good shape given what we still have, and the addition of another Acosta. Plus offloading both Acosta and Namli frees up a fair amount of money...but of course that only matters if you actually use it.

Now that Trusty is on his way out, I'm much more concerned about CB. We're now weaker compared to last year and it gets even more grim if someone is injured.

I'm in about the same place on this as I was in November. I think the midfield is in good shape, but we're now weaker in defense and remain very weak in attack. At this point I think playoffs are still likely, but finishing in first place again looks wildly optimistic and out of reach.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One note @Quinn 33 is that Trusty isn't going anywhere until July, so we're not weaker in defense yet.

I'm sure the July 17th date was chosen for specific purposes. The Rapids host the Galaxy on the 16th, which will be a farewell match for Trusty. Its also probably right when the July transfer window opens. And it will be 2 years to the day after Trusty made his first appearance for Colorado.

TheWarmBurger and m vann repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall though, the lack of offseason additions is becoming a serious problem. We've essentially done this:

Cole Bassett -> Max
    Kellyn Acosta -> Bryan Acosta
    Auston Trusty -> Aboubacar Keita

That's arguably one improvement and two steps back. So at best we're standing pat so far. Meanwhile teams are splashing cash left and right on improvements.

Oh, and none of those three additions played in our first scrimmage, and none appear likely to play in our second. So whomever we add will have 1-2 matches with their new teammates before actual competitive games.

It sure feels like the FO took a step back from their organized and productive offseasons the last couple of years.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. I just hope something is brewing that we’re not aware of. We’ve entered the MLS era where you have to spend to compete. You can’t just sit on a pile of cash. It is now more important that ever to hit a home run with signings. This offseason has been a strange one. You see Basset and Trusty sold to big European teams. You see Acosta exit via trade. You see the club wheeling and dealing and earning “MLS Cash” but we’ve yet to see it reinvested and we’ve seen others in the league immediately reinvest that cash. I just don’t want to be in a situation where it’s too little too late. But I also don’t want us to follow the Jones’ and make a rash decision. I hope something is brewing. I’m starting to get antsy.

JasonMa repped this.
  13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Arsenal fans are being assholes today. It been a day of losing some big time players.

AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Oh. Very much so. Very very much so. This is not shaping up like the moves of the RFO the last few years.

Speaking of the RFO, Padraig had the following to say about Trusty:

Man, I am so pumped for Trusty. This is a huge chance for him, and I will not be surprised to see him tear it up over there and be a regular starter for the USMNT.

That said….Acosta has to be PISSED right now - regardless of whether there were offers or not - given this move and what Smith said (plus the Bassett move and all the rapids media attention he got). I have a strong feeling Acosta is going to play like a man possessed in the season opener against us…

Sports Yak repped this.
  16. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rarely comment on official Rapids posts on social media, but when I saw that on Facebook I couldn't resist. What a tone-deaf tweet, praising KSE to the fanbase like that. Wow.

COMtnGuy and Sports Yak repped this.
  17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do like this for Trusty's growth/ development. But I guess everyone has forgotten to get a UK work permit you need to make like 80% (if I recall correctly) of your national teams call-ups. Trusty is far from even being eligible to play for Arsenal.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  18. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    It sounds like he’ll be on loan immediately - and I imagine for some time after

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post-Brexit there's a whole new system for how to get a work permit. Its a point system where you need 15 points and you get various points for the level of the league you play in, how many minutes you get in that league, how your team finishes, if you're playing in a top continental club competition, and then your National team appearances. All over the last 12 months. Trusty doesn't qualify yet as he only has 12 points, but based on where he gets loaned to he could qualify without playing for the Nats.

20. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adding my thoughts on Trusty:

If he improves as much in the next year or two as he did in 2021 he may make an impact for Arsenal someday. He was by some margin our best defender last season after not playing much in 2020. It'll be interesting to see how much he develops.

His loss really hurts the Rapids. We're making a big bet on Keita coming in and being good, because I don't see a back 4 with Wilson and Lalas being very successful and Keita is our best option for a back 3/5. Edwards may also fit there - he looked good for the Switchbacks last season.

Sports Yak repped this.
  21. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    So…uh FC Dallas is using some more of that money they’ve been receiving in transfers….

If we go this entire year without a big splash signing….I’ll be thoroughly and completely disappointed.

There is literally no excuse at this point. No excuse. Heck, Padraig even bragged about KSE’s reach, but then we can’t do anything with it other than ship out talent.

It may be too far gone for the winter window (yet again) - so if the summer window is as productive as this one….I (and I’m sure many, many, MANY Rapids fans) will be extremely disappointed that alllllll these other clubs are getting it done with transfers and we’re not.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on FO, Los RapiDos was right there! This is the official logo for Rapids 2.
    [​IMG]

AlbertCamus repped this.
  23. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The pride of Commerce City since the year 2.

SccrDon and JasonMa repped this.
  24. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :sleep::sleep::sleep:

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an unsourced report, so take it for what its worth, but the Evening Standard in London is reporting that there was no fee paid for Trusty. Which makes it a really bad move, and leaves Kellyn Acosta in a position of being rightfully pissed at the team.
    1489028484139683845 is not a valid tweet id

COMtnGuy and AlbertCamus repped this.