2022 Postmortem and 2023 Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Auriaprottu, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but Giakoumakis is a DP, isn’t he?

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, we were gonna have to pay him DP money. He's probably DP talent for MLS.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, but he was also available on the cheap, purchase wise. ($4 mm) Until the Stripes can ditch Barco and a few other players on whom they'll take a wash, and knowing there wasn't a jewel out there to be plucked, they had to find an option in the discount aisle.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Barco is gone back to RiBer. They're gonna sign him permanently.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #130 GunnerJacket, Feb 15, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    Ony way to MBS now to pick up my jersey and see what the lads look like in person. Will offer my thoughts in morning.

Edit: Either new jerseys have a tighter fit or... Naw.

Westberg starting in keep. Chol up top.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    HT: 2-2

Lennon and Araujo (golazo) gave Atlanta a 2-0 lead, that became 2-1 about 3 minutes later. Tying goal was a golazo from Toluca, who clearly have more talent on the pitch.

Atlanta with a lot of heavy touches, slow response, etc. You can tell which team is in their pre-season.

Araujo, Almada, Gutman, and Lennon look sharp. Westberg.... woof.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FT: 3-4

All subs in 2nd half save for Conway and Cobb. The kids ran hard. Great 3rd goal.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The center midfield looks like it's going to be a black hole.

Chol and Conway are going to be the backups at striker it seems. With the exception of maybe Wiley, there's going to be no quality depth behind the attacking players.

Oh boy.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Chol left late in 1st half for possible Hammie. I thought Conway looked good in 2nd half, but tough to gauge when all scrubs are playing together. He's certainly the stronger player, but he was not as fast as Josef, to be sure.

Sedjic or Sosa would have offered a lot, but it didn't help Ibarra and Rossetto that they had to cover for Cobb in defense, who got dragged all over the place by a VERY fast Toluca attack.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I noticed it with the BLVCK shirt. My white/gold from the previous season does not fit tight.

11. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Authentics always fit a little tighter than the replicas.

So I just get replicas.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    These are tighter or I am fatter. Or both. I don't own any authentics...

13. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No you don't. The green one is an abomination. I haven't been against any of our main shirts except the green one.

The Bulvock was my least favorite home jersey, and the gray/red original away jersey was my least favorite away other than the green one, but neither of them is terrible. Nine stripes was meh. Peach was awesome. White/gold was awesome. Original five stripes was fire.

The new jersey is fire.

In fact, I like all of this year's jersey releases league-wide except Colorado's and Chicago's. All of them haven't been released yet, but so far so good. I've been a fan of this league since way before the first ball was kicked in anger, and I can't remember a year this good for shirts.

Downside... they're $200 a pop. For a shirt that I cannot reasonably wear on my 42 year old dad bod. But I will probably pony up for a replica because I have to preserve the integrity of my vintage original '17 shirt.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #139 GunnerJacket, Feb 17, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    Trust me: There were physiques in the stadium that night that went way beyond dad bod and they were still sporting replicas! Ironic, I know, but hey, I'm all for good natured fandom.

And I agree there are a lot of nice kits out this year. I even like Chicago's new strip. Most importantly, I'm thankful MLS isn't the Bundesliga in this sense, because it sure seems like every kit in that league is just one solid color. It's so bland, which is a shame.

Aside: When I used to coach a youth side I remember picking out the uniforms for that year was such a cool task. We'd gather after the first practice and I'd have flagged in catalogs a few options that fit the parents budgets, with the kids touting what they likes or didn't like about each. Sported some pretty cool options from Umbro most seasons, the kind of patterns you don't see in the pros. Good times.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sounds like a green shirt snuck into your house and drank up all your beer. :ROFLMAO:
    I think they look great, which is why I lobbied for them well before they appeared in our wardrobe...

I bought an Inaugural early on. Love it. I like the 2023s, too , but I'm-a make sure it fits, even if I have to go to 2XL.

Pretty much... even if it just hangs in the closet or in a frame.

16. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That green shirt -- in a vacuum -- is fine. But it was released in a year where four teams in the league got mint green shirts or some variation: Atlanta, Austin, Charlotte, and Colorado. Meanwhile in the Premier League (which many Americans are also watching), Brighton, Leicester, Chelsea, Liverpool, Brentford, Fulham, and Wolves all have a green kit in their bags. And also Atlanta played horrible football in that shirt.

Hopefully we sold enough of them to let us have a third shirt this year, though!