2022 Postmortem and 2023 Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Auriaprottu, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think Vasquez was taken, but I can't recall the others. We could use him for depth right now.
    FWIW, Kann hasn't played tons of minutes in Cincy, either.

Yeah, fair enough, I had mistakenly called it an ACL.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The United family mourns the loss of Anton Walkes to a boating accident.
    [​IMG]

UnitedSkipper27 and GunnerJacket repped this.
  3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Man, what a shame about Walkes. May not have been the greatest player but certainly seemed a likeable guy and I don't recall him saying anything bad about his time here. Wish his friends, family, and teammates well as they cope with his loss. RIP, sir.

UnitedSkipper27 and Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Josef in Miami
    I don't know what to expect for him. I don't think anyone assumes he'll be the Josef of 2018 or 2019, but the hope is obviously he'll be much better than last year. Maybe an extra off season of proper rehab helps him both with his knee and his match fitness, but the guy did not cover a lot of ground last season so if I'm Miami I'm only thinking of him as the primary striker IF the rest of the team works well enough that I don't need a DP up top. But their hands were kinda tied since they lost Campana and Josef was essentially "Miami or bust."

So, I suspect he'll start enough to stay happy, won't be a full 90' player, and come away with double digit goals. But how they make him and Higuain both happy and productive will be a tall order, and their individual shortcomings could really curtail Miami's defensive abilities. This is, after all, a team with a lot of key role players on the wrong side of 30.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Guzan
    I view this distinctly through an MLS-calibre lens. Brad has his shortcomings but on the whole he remains an above average keeper who's good in the locker room and can communicate well with the defense. Rios Novo was far too quiet/ passive while Gudino was just too slow and had difficulty reading the play. (Understandable considering he was new to the league.). There may be better keepers out there but whether or not they're available, available at the right price, and a good fit for this team is all up in the air. Given some of our other needs I'd rather the front office not have to waste time "fixing" a position that isn't a priority at this time.

But that's just me.

6. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is Miles' second bad injury in a few years. I've got concerns that we can't trust his body at this point. I hope I'm wrong, but I think him moving on after this year might actually be a blessing in disguise. You can't afford to have that big of an injury risk on your roster in this league.

I am having a difficult time getting excited for this season. The biggest roster "additions" seem to be three guys who are coming back from serious injury, and the club didn't look great even when they were playing. Perhaps a second season under Pineda and his system will yield better results on familiarity alone, but I'm skeptical.

RIP Anton.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What did he injure the first time? I'm not sure I ever knew about it.

8. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't tell me you've forgotten Miles' missed playoff run after Berhalter had the USMNT do a training session after a game around 10 at night.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Duh... yeah, I guess I did forget. This growing old thing ain't no fun

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but Kann was the Cincy starter until he too got injured. Apparently all our players are made of glass.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Wow, this Anton Walkes news is a gut punch.He was always one of my favorites when I lived in Atlanta because he was one of the voices the club would send out when it was time to do radio interviews.

UnitedSkipper27 repped this.
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Brittle glass at that..

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    This makes sense. Guzan is under contract for the season, so let's not fix stuff that isn't broken. We have much bigger problems.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We're reportedly in talks with Celtic striker Giorgios Giakoumakis. Uwara Red Diamonds is in the mix as well..

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Giakoumakis would almost assuredly be a temporary placeholder. He's tall compared to most AUFC attackers and had a big year for a middling Dutch club pre-pandemic, but he's expendable for a Celtic side that can do little more than claim domestic trophies. While Celtic do play an attacking style they do so in a league where 9 of 11 opponents are on 1/8 the budget (or less). So, at his best maybe he has a Mulraney-level impact, I feel.

Sounds like the team is gonna play things close to the vest financially until they can permanently resolve situations for Barco and others. Especially since Atlanta didn't recoup the level of sales money hoped for on several players. So with Atlanta not poised to find and afford another Almada, they're making so until the skies clear and they can see a better, obvious solution.

Expect to see Conway get some chances, aming others, unless a diamond in the rough is discovered.

Methinks, anyway.

Auriaprottu and Mach1 repped this.
  16. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lagerwey's interviews certainly seem to be hinting that this is the case.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Times are harsh. Lot's of ugly stuff being said about our club, mostly because of league caps and shit like that.I am far removed, but still love this team. We will overcome.

UnitedSkipper27 and GunnerJacket repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A friendly against Chattanooga happened yesterday, and we lost 3-3.
    Played a lot of people, from what I've been reading. Not much to take from it.

19. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the goals were scored in the first half, when Atlanta had pretty much their starting 11 in. So Atlanta's starting defense gave up 3 goals in 45 minutes to a NISA club.

Not great.

UnitedSkipper27 and Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So, rumors are that we have upped the ante for Giakoumakis, and the Red Diamonds have turned into the Red Cubic Zirconias. Of course, we won't get an official announcement until the ink is dry..

21. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pineda mentioned in one of the first practices when camp started that they were looking to bring in 3 guys. He insinuated that they had already chosen who they wanted to go after. Haven't seen anyone yet, and this striker is the only one we've heard of.

Clock's ticking guys.

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, depending on the accuracy of the Twitters(!!) and Doug Roberson, Mosquera will go on loan and Erik Lopez may have to be brought back in for contract purposes unless there is another taker for him.

I thought MLS teams could still sign guys beyond January? Did they change that rule?

23. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erik Lopez. Oh boy.

MLS' transfer window goes until April. But if you're talking about Giakoumakis specifically, Scotland's window ends tonight at midnight, so you have to get that done before then. Anyone else the club might be looking at could have similar windows. And while I think some leagues do allow outgoing transfers outside of transfer windows, usually not the big leagues, and a lot of clubs would want the ability to bring in someone new to replace who they lost.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lopez. He's not gonna be able to help us at all.

25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Lopez

Reading up on his history makes it sound like he's never been settled in a position or a system, which likely stifled his development. He was more a striker before coming here but was then deployed largely on the wing while with Atlanta/ AU2. I'm sure being loaned out abroad didn't help his psyche.

Whether or not he has the chops I can't say, but if I'm the coaches I figure out which position gets the most out of him and stick with it. Don't force a square peg into a round hole when all that will do is upset overall team chemistry.

If Atlanta is reduced to playing striker by committee, then that's the perfect excuse to tell each one "Go run the defense ragged!" Have Erik, or Conway, or GG run all over and force the defense to create openings for the other players.