2022 Off-season :: Head-Coaching Vacancy

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by 110toyourleft, Oct 10, 2022.

1. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all. He is saying that what you posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things we have ever read - and at no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.

ColumbusFTW, Crew Chuck35, KCbus and 3 others repped this.
  2. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know everyone is piling on right now, but I think you are correct here, JDub; Bez is in charge of negotiating the salary and length of contract.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a hypothetical.

Let’s say player x wants $1 million per season. Let’s say the GM thinks that is too much, but the coach tells him this is the only player he wants, he doesn’t care the cost. Now, the GM can try and negotiate down some, but he doesn’t have much leverage.

In that scenario, who is to blame?

And is it fair to say that while, technically speaking, the GM is in charge of contracts, the coach is tying his hands and making him negotiate a bad deal?

4. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was drinking last night and was too lazy to go put on my JDUB Decoder Ring.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got an old Moron to English dictionary I can let you have.

6. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #155 chr1st, Oct 13, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    Tobias C, jairadballerina and Crew96Fan repped this.
  7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #156 TrueCrew, Oct 13, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    Really, I think the whole Molino thing is hindsight.

We had just won the Cup. Our core, for the most part, was going to be around for at least a couple for years (Lucas, Zardes, Santos, Mensah, Nagbe, Artur, Etienne, Diaz, Morris, Valenzuela, etc). Or so we thought.

We took a big swing on Molino to get him here, thinking he was gonna supplement a title contending team for years to come.

To get him to come here, we likely needed a sweetener (this ain't LA or Miami). Hence the extra year.

Was it a gamble? Sure. In retrospect, did it work out? No, of course not. But that is not how you judge these things. You have to judge them with what we knew at the time, not with what you know in hindsight.

I will still say it was a worthwhile gamble, even with the third year. Molino had just scored 4 goals, in the playoffs alone, for a Minnesota team that damn near beat Seattle the year we beat them in the Final.

It did not work out, obviously, but we just have to try and make the best of it, now. We were still good enough to make the POs, both years, in my view.

Pauncho, foozer, CBusAlex and 11 others repped this.
  8. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    To add to this, we also added BWP. While older, he had just scored 9 in 18 games the previous season with LAFC. On paper, 2021 should have been a great year.

CBusAlex, Tobias C and CybrSlydr repped this.
  9. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is one reason why we should have parted with Porter after 2021. And should have again parted with him during one of the breaks in play during 2022 and given Courtois a low risk high reward trial as interim manager.

ZipSix, Tobias C, ColumbusFTW and 3 others repped this.
  10. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    A 3 year deal for a guy who is old and hurt every other year.

you offer him 1yr like everyone else , you just won the cup and your offering him a starting role

take it or leave it

Bez got bent over no way around it , absolutely horrible deal no matter how you guys spin it

I get COVID left us short on options and we all thought Molino would succeed. He is a good player but much like Wormgoor how many times will you role the dice on older players with injuries before you learn your lesson ?

11. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    I’m fine getting older players for back ups as long as it’s for one year or a team option so we can move on after 1 year if we so choose.

we need to get younger , obviously when you fail signing your top choice you have plan b guys. You sign them to a 1 year deal to be back ups and nobody can fault you. Sign them to multi year deals is not only extremely risky but downright foolish . It’s too bad none of the reporters have the balls to grill Bez on this Molino contract.

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Molino was hardly old when we signed him.

TyphonInc, soccerncbus and Tobias C repped this.
  13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    What if said player doesn't want to sign a 1 year deal to be a backup? Plan B guys in a fourth tier league is never a guarantee of results.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a tweet mentioning Tim Bezbatchenko wanting Jason Bent before I saw it was from that flaming thundercvnt Duane Rollins.

So take that as you will.

15. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Rollins thinks Bezbatchenko is going to... get Bent?

TKyle and LaMacchia repped this.
  16. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some Head Coaches who are out of work that caught my attention on Transfermarkt:
    Andre Villas Boas
    Thomas Tuchel
    Jurgen Klinnsman
    Rafael Benitez
    Mauricio Pochettino
    Scott Parker
    Alex McLeish
    Roberto Di Matteo
    Roy Keane
    Tony Pulis
    Zinedine Zidane
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

18. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #167 Bill Archer, Oct 14, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    Duane Rollins is a sleazy, worthless, lying sack of warmed-over dog vomit with the brains of a clump of lichen and the soul of a cockroach.

Just hearing his names makes me feel like I need a shower.

As for that rumor, there may be something going around Moronto about Bent getting an interview - he is obviously well known to Bez, Jamie and Corey from back in the day - but that would be the extent of anything they'd know up there. The guy lives in LA for Chrissake.

Of course it would be typical of that semen-encrusted bowl floater Rollins to take a local.rumor he got from a message board and expand it into " my sources are telling me that Bent is getting the job" because that's exactly what he does.

The only "sources" Rollins has are the little boys he recruits to come "help me save my puppy" and the discussion forums on websites like LatexBukkakeBikerNuns.com where.he spends his time abusing his microscopic dick.

And I hope he sees this and threatens to sue me again because in Canada defamation is formulated upon. the "Napoleonic Code" because unfortunately he doesn't have my phone number any more and can't pass it around to drunk TFC fans in a bar. I hope he liked the visit from the RCMP.

It wouldn't be at all.surprising if Bent gave Bez a shout out for an interview and as I said he'd be likely to agree but any info about a hiring will generate from One Black and Gold, not from a TFC reddit discussion reported by a maggot infested anal pustule like that walking pile of pig shit Duane Rollins.

19. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AVB is the only name on that list that is either realistic and/or good, and even with AVB it’s debatable.

20. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we've learned nothing from watching FC Food Lion flounder for 3 years as various Euro rejects with zero MLS experience brought what amounts to the same posession-heavy, build from the back style which we've been watching in Columbus for a decade?

Foreign coaches all act like they're Christ come to cleanse the temple and show the American heathens how the game is really played. It hasn't worked, it doesn't work and if the Crew hire some warmed over Eurotrash manager I think I'll become a Cincy fan.

Here's a fun game: list the foreign coaches in all of MLS history who have won a Cup.

(I'll even spot you Gary Smith in 2010 at Colorado because nobody will.come up with him)

21. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    It was mentioned by Chris Doran on the Crew podcast that MLS has a directive that team's must interview a underrepresented/diverse candidate during their process. This would check that box but looking at this guy's resume it seems like he is also a quality coach. You usually do not move up the ranks and then follow your boss to a new job if you are bad at what you do.

TRUJDUB21, LaMacchia and HectorM repped this.
  22. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
  23. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry but this cannot be stated enough. There's one surefire way to lose in this league and that is to hire a foreign coach with no MLS experience as a head coach.

24. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Courtois is the guy. I'm sure we are gonna over think this or whatever. But we have the guy in our system right now. Young. Proven winner. Likes attacking soccer.

25. HectorM

HectorM Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Pittsburgh
    I'm a Bailey Johnson fan, but this article is pretty weak.

She starts out well, with some quotes from Bez (who ought to go easy on the word "ambition" as it has some history in CBus, and referring to the owners :values" in light of the DeShaun Watson disaster might not be something he wants to highlight) and lists a couple guys who are very likely under consideration.

But she has more inches to fill so she does a TrudyJib routine and randomly lists a bunch of guys who are no more likely to be remotely interested in the job than Juergen Klopp

Stick to what you know, Bailey, and don't surrender to the temptation to babble on about a bunch of guys you never heard of before you did a Google search.

26. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronny Deila last year.

Tata Martino.

Gio Savaraese has made the final twice.