2022 Off-season :: Head-Coaching Vacancy

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by 110toyourleft, Oct 10, 2022.

1. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your idea of wit is nothing more than a clever observation delivered with impeccable timing.

2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    This is the problem with the new definition of handball. Sometimes it's a penalty, sometimes not. I think it should be a penalty 100% of the time but that's not how it's called.

kgilbert78 and soccerncbus repped this.
  3. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Yea, based on how handballs are called now I wouldn't have been surprised if they didn't call that one on Degenek. I have no problem with it being called, but I've seen referees decide not to give those because it wasn't deliberate and the player had no chance to avoid it.

4. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like my captains to fully raise their arms in the defensive box. That way, it is obvious when they want an offsides call or trying to hit an opponent in the head.
    Disagree. Any team with Hurtado as a viable offensive weapon is not a top tier squad.

5. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Given how little the Dispatch cares about the Crew, they’ll recognize how good she is and she won’t be here long.

Ball Kicker and Bill Archer repped this.
  6. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Mais already on somewhat thin ice at OSU? Not sure he nor Yeagley would be top of my list. But recruiting is different than managing professionals, so i wouldn't completely close the door on either.

7. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This problem is compounded by Zelarayán who is kind of in the same mold as Cucho. Neither have blazing pace or extreme defensive work rate. They both floated around to get on the ball a lot. While good to get them on the ball, they were often too far away from goal to actually score. We need to figure out how to get Cucho in the box a lot more often. While scoring a lot of goals from outside the box is thrilling, it's not a method to score that you can count on.

We really need to figure out how to bring the skills these 2 guys offer to the forefront while keeping a team shape and getting them both closer to goal.

the_rickler and TrueCrew repped this.
  8. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this is offseason catchall thread

Next summer, The Crew will host 2 League's Cup games at LDC based on their top 16 finish in the Supp Shield standings.
    That means, based on LigaMX standings, they will host either Pachuca or Club America. That would be some fun.

zman31 repped this.
  9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post.

I think both players are best suited for a supporting striker/floating role, with Lucas obviously a great option as a CAM.

You ID the problem well. Both guys float around to get the ball, do not have get behind the D speed (though Cucho has decent speed), and neither are gonna win a bunch of aerial duels. They often get the ball far from goal. We led the league in goals from outside of the 18, and still missed the playoffs.

Neither guy is complimented well by our wingers. Or compliments them that well.

Diaz is a classic wide winger who can get to the end line and hit a cross, but neither LZ nor Cucho are ideal guys for him to aim at, given their size. And his aim ain't all that good. Still, he does connect sometimes and Cucho's movement is good.

Etienne reads the game better, crosses better, is a better finisher, and gets into good positions, but does not create much off the dribble. He is good at exploiting the space Cucho & LZ create for him, but he does not create much for them.

All four guys have value. I like all four, to varying degrees, individually. But I don't think that is a championship level attacking quartet. Which is why I am a bit reluctant to hitch my wagon to the Cucho/LZ partnership up top.

The most obvious solution is to get a real DP level winger who can create/pass effectively and be a goal threat. That player pushes one of Etienne/Diaz to the bench. And bends the defense and allows Cucho & LZ to get the ball in more dangerous positions.

The problem is we already have 3 DPs, and Nagbe was above the buy down threshold the last I checked. Unless that changes, we'd need to either jettison Nagbe (not sure I like that idea), renegotiate the deal down (is that even possible), or secure a DP level winger for non-DP money. The latter is possible (Gareth Bale), but hard to do.

The other way I see it working is to play 2 up top. A real target CF for Cucho to play off of, and LZ as a CAM. But this means only 2 in CM, with LZ one of them. Defensively dangerous, I do not see it working for long stretches, unless we land a Kante like CM/DM. Even then, we are outnumbered in CM most nights. Plus, as talented as LZ is, he is a guy who flashes brilliance, rather than a guy who controls/manipulates the game from CM AND flashes (Modric, Guille, etc). Which is why he plays almost like a 2nd forward sometimes, which means you need 2 CMs behind him. I think this only works as late game, down a goal. And we still need the CF (JRR?).

I guess we could move one of Cucho or LZ wide. Porter tried some of this. But the lack of speed/work rate creates problems (though Cucho has more of both).

LZ is purely a pocket winger who does not stretch the field. You need speed on the other side (Diaz). And then who plays centrally? Nagbe with Artur & Morris behind? Maybe. Molino? In either case, our best 2 way winger (Etienne) is on the bench.

Moving Cucho wide only makes sense if you have a real CF to take his spot, and we don't have one. Yet (JRR?).

This is why I am down on Bez, there are good individual pieces, but not sure they fit real well.

POdinCowtown, LastOfEleven and zman31 repped this.
  10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, re: Courtois, we probably can't read much into him running team practices for a month or so; it occurs to me that since they fired the entire senior team staff, he's the only coach left in the. building

soccerncbus, kgilbert78 and YITBOS repped this.
  11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess if Diaz makes a leap, and gets you 8-10 goals (instead of 3), and makes a leap with his decision making, it would help.

But I am not sure Cucho yelling at him all the time helps.

12. Schellotor

Schellotor Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respectfully disagree. It's kind of like saying if the Titanic doesn't hit that one random iceberg, it has a great voyage.

They dropped those stoppage-time points for reasons. Close doesn't count, even if if it's consistently close.
    The Crew is out of the playoffs again because the current roster is just not good enough.

Porter was clearly part of the problem, but to say everything else is fine just doesn't make sense to me. If these guys were as good as we have been told, we could have made the playoffs with any random fan on the sidelines. Until the organization accepts the evidence and begins the essential rebuild the Crew will continue to flounder around as a below average team.

Using salary as a gauge of quality in sports is not supported by any correlation between salary and on-field success, at least none that I am aware of.

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hoping NT coaches are in the mix (Perez), but the Salvies are not WC bound, so waiting until Dec makes no sense for him, despite my wishin' & hopin'.

14. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    “I disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement”. Y’all are silly.

15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and you'd think "team practices" right now are probably a little short on intensity. And maybe attendance.

SouthRef and Bill Archer repped this.
  16. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    This team is the antithesis of the 2008 team. The 2008 team would go down a goal but you knew in the back of your mind that the team would bounce back and equalize and eventually win. That team had swagger and a kind of magic. The 2022 team had the talent but was missing that magic/swagger element. I don't think we had someone like that on this team since Wil Trapp. Zardes was likeable but I don't think he quite filled that talisman requirement.

Every team needs a Frankie Hejduk/Danny O/Duncan Oughton to provide that emotional leadership on the field. Was Porter too big of a personality to allow someone like that to exist in the locker room? Did a player like that not fit into Bez's wizardry spreadsheet of moneyball numbers?

Bez is going to have to work with the new coach to find that veteran leadership that this team has lacked for years now.

rolandD, Tobias C and WhiteHartShame repped this.
  17. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think that could be Aidan Morris eventually, but he still needs time to grow.

18. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    I agree he's a likely candidate. I had hopes for Josh Williams but he never quite stepped into that fully.

Tobias C repped this.
  19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "those who were responsible for sacking the people who were supposed to sack the other people have been sacked"....

LastOfEleven, Grouchy, TKyle and 2 others repped this.
  20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hard to think of news that could discredit the League's Cup more than this year's Columbus Crew team earning a seeding in this competition.

******** it. Let's win the thing.

21. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A moose bit my sister

TKyle and kgilbert78 repped this.
  22. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Guys like Nagbe and Lucas should be considered for the role - based on salary alone - but just don't seem to fit. Pedro's been a consummate professional, but is too quiet to have filled that role. Artur seems like he could be, from time to time, but then disappears.

That 2008 team was stacked with players with swagger, who just knew how to win, whatever it took. Hell, you didn't even mention Moreno, GBS, Marshall...

Tobias C and the_rickler repped this.
  23. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    We dropped 22 points from winning positions. So we were good enough to get a lead but not to keep it. If we were ruthlessly efficient at closing out games and didn't drop any of those points, we'd have won the Supporter's Shield. It's unrealistic to never give up a lead over the course of a season but if we'd only dropped half of those points, we'd have been the #3 seed and hosting this weekend.

24. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Marco, Parente, and Zawadzki all seem to have those qualities on crew 2. Morris, Artur, Pedro, and Cucho have the qualities, but have not shown them consistently.

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I wouldn't use Trapp as an example of swagger. His replacement, Nagbe, is a much better player but not swaggering either.