2022 MLS Week 34 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by A66C, Oct 4, 2022.

1. A66C

A66C Member

N/A
    United States
    Jan 3, 2022
    10/05/22

Charlotte vs Columbus Crew
    Bank of America Stadium (7PM ET)
    REF: Matthew Conger
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Chantal Boudreau
    4TH: Alyssa Nichols
    VAR: Ismail Elfath
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

Inter Miami vs Orlando City
    DRV PNK Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Victor Rivas
    AR1: Jeffrey Greeson
    AR2: Jose Da Silva
    4TH: Marcos DeOliveira
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Nick Uranga

2. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    An interesting question on the Twitter about the Columbus v Charlotte game re: resumption, lineups and player availability…

Should the original match be treated as abandoned and this as a replay? Are there other options under the laws?

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This document seems to answer all relevant questions. Though, of course, I'm sure MLS could make exceptions if both teams agree (and perhaps not?). But it does seem like this covers everything:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2022-mls-match-delay-postponement-cancellation-and-forfeiture-policy

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, albeit extreme, reminder of why players stand in front of free kicks.

And this is why referees should address it aggressively. And why they should be able to do so without the free kick automatically becoming ceremonial. Very well done by Conger here and I don't think, given the reaction of the Charlotte players, there is any controversy about it. But if Conger isn't proactive, this goal doesn't happen.

davidjd, Thegreatwar, jarbitro and 3 others repped this.
  5. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    I don’t understand the handball penalty in Miami, at all.

The attacker chips the ball up into the defender’s arm, which is in about as natural a position as I’ve ever seen. I don’t even think the arm was making him bigger at all (naturally or unnaturally); the ball was going to hit his torso anyways. I’m quite disappointed, either in Jurisevic, in PRO’s directives, or both, to see this not reviewed for a clear and obvious error. We are at the point where just about any contact with an arm that is not glued against the body or behind the back can be interpreted as a handball, which seems exactly the opposite of the spirit of the law the IFAB was going for when they emphasized these changes this year.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch how his wrist flexes before the ball makes contact. He’s making his arm more rigid and seemingly creating a barrier to make sure it doesn’t get by. Sorry, but I think this is simply a deliberate handball. Focusing too much on overall arm positioning is missing the forest for trees, in my opinion. Honestly, I think handball is the expected decision. And at the very least, it’s not clearly wrong.

7. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    If that’s your claim, fine, I can’t “prove” it wrong. But it feels extremely harsh to me. I don’t know what you see in the footage that suggests evidence that Ruan deliberately meant to handle the ball, but it feels very speculative to try to read his mind based on, I’m assuming, millimeters of unusual arm movement in super slow mo. Slow motion always makes these little movements look much more intentional than they really are.

I counter that the ball was kicked from such a short distance, and with so little time to react, that it was impossible for any motion by Ruan to be a deliberate reaction to the new flight of the ball. Any movement I see prior to contact is simply his normal running motion.

I also think the way the arm physically reacts to being struck by the ball can be deceiving here; it flexes unnaturally due to the ball hitting it, and then rebounds (towards the ball) back into a normal position as Ruan flinches. This is perhaps what, in my opinion, misled Rivas.

8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Can anyone post a clip of this one? It’s not about reading minds, but identifying actions. It’s. It uncommon for players who are going to have the ball hit their arm do something to change the way it hits. I can’t speak to this one in particular, as I haven’t seen it. But even without VAR, on the field we can see where players take advantage of what would have been an inadvertent no-call. While I agree that slow-mo can exaggerate that kind of motion, this was it called via video, but live on the field, giving the VAR the clearly wrong standard to send it down.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's in the highlights video on this page, almost exactly halfway through: https://www.mlssoccer.com/competitions/mls-regular-season/2022/matches/miavsorl-10-05-2022/

And to @StarTime , I respect what you're saying here but I want to make clear that I would call this in real-time, too. There are a number of intangible factors here that I can't cite chapter and verse from the Laws, but a big element is "who benefits?" You can go down the path of "well it's flicked from close distance" but the simple counter argument to that is that defenders, in tough situations, are often more likely to deliberately handle as a reflexive action when they have less time to think about it. This flick is deft. It beats the defender by playing the ball to a space that will be behind him as he runs toward the corner flag. In other words, the defender is absolutely screwed here if he doesn't handle. We only get one good replay in the highlights package but I think I see more of a chicken wing deliberate handling than a total accident that just happens to perfectly deflect the ball away from a very dangerous goal-scoring opportunity. When you add in that Rivas is coming in with what would probably be the perfect angle, I have no reason to doubt the call. My focusing on the wrist tension is only for two related reasons: 1) it's a component that gives the VAR enough to say "check complete" even if he can't prove it is deliberate and 2) Geiger/PRO had an internal memo a couple weeks ago talking about wrist/arm tension as something to look for when making such assessments, so it would be on the mind of Jurisevic and, likely, Rivas.

One other very interesting part of this play is that there's a huge argument for DOGSO-red if you stop and think about it. #2 is running away from goal and the ball will be behind him. #25 is behind the attacker. And the attacker will get to the ball before the goalkeeper. It's actually a pretty clear red card the more I think about it. But my suspicion is the actual check of the handball and the check of the offside in the APP might have distracted from any discussion around that. So once Rivas doesn't give red, it's hard to get there just from a process standpoint.

StarTime repped this.
  10. A66C

A66C Member

N/A
    United States
    Jan 3, 2022
    10/09/22

Atlanta United vs New York City FC
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium (2:30PM ET)
    REF: Chris Penso
    AR1: Gianni Facchini
    AR2: Walt Heatherly
    4TH: Matthew Conger
    VAR: Sorin Stoica
    AVAR: Rene Parra

Chicago Fire vs New England Revolution
    SeatGeek Stadium (2:30PM ET)
    REF: Michael Radchuk
    AR1: Andrew Bigelow
    AR2: Tyler Wyrostek
    4TH: Luis Arroyo
    VAR: Chico Grajeda
    AVAR: Adam Wienckowski

D.C. United vs FC Cincinnati
    Audi Field (2:30PM ET)
    REF: Timothy Ford
    AR1: Nick Uranga
    AR2: Jeremy Kieso
    4TH: Matt Thompson
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Joshua Patlak

Inter Miami vs CF Montréal
    DRV PNK Stadium (2:30PM ET)
    REF: Joe Dickerson
    AR1: Kathryn Nesbitt
    AR2: Chris Elliott
    4TH: Ismir Pekmic
    VAR: Guido Gonzales Jr
    AVAR: Claudiu Badea

New York Red Bulls vs Charlotte FC
    Red Bull Arena (2:30PM ET)
    REF: Rubiel Vazquez
    AR1: Kevin Klinger
    AR2: Ian McKay
    4TH: Elvis Osmanovic
    VAR: Daniel Radford
    AVAR: Fabio Tovar

Orlando City vs Columbus Crew
    Exploria Stadium (2:30PM ET)
    REF: Alex Chilowicz
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Corey Rockwell
    4TH: Eric Tattersall
    VAR: Fotis Bazakos
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

Philadelphia Union vs Toronto FC
    Subaru Park (2:30PM ET)
    REF: Lukasz Szpala
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Kevin Lock
    4TH: Joshua Encarnacion
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
    AVAR: Eric Weisbrod

Austin FC vs Colorado Rapids
    Q2 Stadium (5PM ET)
    REF: Pierre-Luc Lauziere
    AR1: Adam Garner
    AR2: Brian Dunn
    4TH: Matthew Corrigan
    VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
    AVAR: Matthew Nelson

FC Dallas vs Sporting Kansas City
    Toyota Stadium (5PM ET)
    REF: Victor Rivas
    AR1: Jeffrey Greeson
    AR2: Jose Da Silva
    4TH: Nima Saghafi
    VAR: Kevin Stott
    AVAR: Diego Blas

Houston Dynamo vs LA Galaxy
    PNC Stadium (5PM ET)
    REF: Drew Fischer
    AR1: Micheal Barwegen
    AR2: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
    4TH: Danielle Chesky
    VAR: Geoff Gamble
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

Los Angeles FC vs Nashville
    Banc of California Stadium (5PM ET)
    REF: Ted Unkel
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Ryan Graves
    4TH: Adam Kilpatrick
    VAR: Kevin Terry Jr
    AVAR: Robert Schaap

Minnesota United vs Vancouver Whitecaps
    Allianz Field (5PM ET)
    REF: Allen Chapman
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Cory Richardson
    4TH: Silviu Petrescu
    VAR: Jon Freemon
    AVAR: Jeff Muschik

Real Salt Lake vs Portland Timbers
    America First Field (5PM ET)
    REF: Armando Villarreal
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Cameron Blanchard
    4TH: Ramy Touchan
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Tom Supple

Seattle Sounders FC vs San Jose Earthquakes
    Lumen Field (5PM ET)
    REF: Marcos DeOliveira
    AR1: Jeff Hosking
    AR2: Chantal Boudreau
    4TH: Ricardo Fierro
    VAR: Rosendo Mendoza
    AVAR: Mike Kampmeinert

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting to see who gets what on Decision Day. Obviously many of these have playoff qualification implications and then some that don't still have implications over playoff positioning. And then a few have no significance whatsoever.

It would appear Chilowicz and Villarreal have the two biggest matches on paper. Chapman's is very close, with Villarreal's match mattering for determining how consequential his will be.

Radchuck, Luc-Lazierre and DeOliveira with the only three completely meaningless ones? Though, Rivas' comes close because it would take a lot for Dallas to move out of its current playoff position.

With all hands on deck for simultaneous matches, it's also interesting to see the deeper FO pool and who goes to the VOR among active CRs and ARs (Gonzales Jr., Bazakos, Freemon and Mendoza among active referees).

Elfath's absence is conspicuous, but I'm sure there's a valid reason, which very well might just be them keeping him away from any potential controversy so they can use him once early in the playoffs and then again on MLS Cup.

With all that said, we can't forget assignments were made well before we knew exactly which match would mean what, so there was an element of guessing here. But the very big ones and very meaningless ones seem obvious.

JasonMa, StarTime, A66C and 1 other person repped this.
  12. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I know for almost all regular season matches, assignments are made weeks in advance per the CBA.

Isn't there an exception for the last two weeks of the season per the CBA? Don't they make those like the week of or does it still apply for Decision Day matches?

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the exact details, but I'm sure others on this thread can chime in with that information. It sounds vaguely familiar, but I still think assignments were made before Monday.

14. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the argument for a handball in real time is justifiable (obviously, that's what Rivas had). I also think the agreement for DOGSO is too soft. The handball is one that you can call or not call, and argue it either way. But DOGSO I think goes a bit too far.

Are we really in the last week of the season and MLS still can't figure out referee colors also? I mean why not yellow. Keepers were in silver and orange I think. But whatever. I'd rather have a keeper who matches the referee than this nonsense blue.jpg :

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think DOGSO goes too far only in the sense that it seems very harsh for an act that some (as we see above) will see as a non-punishable handball. And it is challenging to get to via review for the reasons I lay out.

But from a factual standpoint, what argument(s) do you have against it?

16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami was in pink, correct? If yes and keeper colors were as you say (I haven’t watched the game), green would have been a no brainer.

For some reason, I think those making these decisions think that blue is a lot lighter than it really is. Compare that color to the blue that UEFA referees wear, and the MLS/PRO blue is a LOT lighter.

JasonMa and StarTime repped this.
  17. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Thanks. I don’t think the clips in there are great, but from what I see, I’d probably call that. The best shot, unfortunately, was only shown in slow mo, which I honk can distort these types of plays in favor of HB. Certainly there is nothing in the video that would remotely suggest it was C&O error.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been reliably told that Decision Day assignments were published last Tuesday, so that is a reduction in the standard 18-24 day requirement for notification. But still means PRO didn't know the result of the matches from this past weekend. All of this is accounted for in the CBA, of course.

JasonMa repped this.
  19. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
  20. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    It would be interesting to know if these assignments were made prior to last night’s results. Dickerson and Vasquez both have games that, 24 hours ago, meant a lot more than they do now.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See above. They were.

JasonMa and StarTime repped this.
  22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chump edit to fix my own post. Sorry.

23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I am aware, the assignments were sent out between the end of the week 33 games and the two midweek makeup games.

JasonMa repped this.
  24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Last Tuesday.

StarTime repped this.
  25. StarTime

StarTime Member+