2022 MLS Week 32 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by A66C, Sep 15, 2022.

1. A66C

A66C Member

N/A
    United States
    Jan 3, 2022
    09/17/22

New York City FC vs New York Red Bulls
    Yankee Stadium (1PM ET)
    REF: Allen Chapman
    AR1: Jeremy Kieso
    AR2: Jose Da Silva
    4TH: Silviu Petrescu
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Joshua Patlak

Atlanta United vs Philadelphia Union
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Guido Gonzales Jr
    AR1: Nick Uranga
    AR2: Kevin Klinger
    4TH: Pierre-Luc Lauziere
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

New England Revolution vs CF Montréal
    Gillette Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Rosendo Mendoza
    AR1: Gianni Facchini
    AR2: Ian McKay
    4TH: Natalie Simon
    VAR: Kevin Terry Jr
    AVAR: Mike Kampmeinert

Orlando City vs Toronto FC
    Exploria Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Nima Saghafi
    AR1: Cory Richardson
    AR2: Lyes Arfa
    4TH: Matt Franz
    VAR: Michael Radchuk
    AVAR: Tom Supple

Chicago Fire vs Charlotte FC
    Soldier Field (8PM ET)
    REF: Tori Penso
    AR1: Adam Garner
    AR2: Kevin Lock
    4TH: Chris Ruska
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Rene Parra

Sporting Kansas City vs Minnesota United
    Children’s Mercy Park (8:30PM ET)
    REF: Marcos DeOliveira
    AR1: Brian Dunn
    AR2: Chantal Boudreau
    4TH: Calin Radosav
    VAR: Armando Villarreal
    AVAR: TJ Zablocki

Austin FC vs Nashville
    Q2 Stadium (9PM ET)
    REF: Lukasz Szpala
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Andrew Bigelow
    4TH: Ismir Pekmic
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez

Real Salt Lake vs FC Cincinnati
    Rio Tinto Stadium (9:30PM ET)
    REF: Chris Penso
    AR1: Logan Brown
    AR2: Meghan Mullen
    4TH: Rubiel Vazquez
    VAR: Daniel Radford
    AVAR: Eric Weisbrod

Vancouver Whitecaps vs Seattle Sounders
    BC Place (10PM ET)
    REF: Ramy Touchan
    AR1: Stefan Tanaka-Freundt
    AR2: Felisha Mariscal
    4TH: Alain Ruch
    VAR: Jair Marrufo
    AVAR: Fabio Tovar

LA Galaxy vs Colorado Rapids
    Dignity Health Sports Park (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Joe Dickerson
    AR1: Kathryn Nesbitt
    AR2: Brooke Mayo
    4TH: Alex Chilowicz
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Robert Schaap

San Jose Earthquakes vs FC Dallas
    PayPal Park (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Drew Fischer
    AR1: Jeffrey Greeson
    AR2: Walt Heatherly
    4TH: Sergii Demianchuk
    VAR: Ted Unkel
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

09/18/22

Columbus Crew vs Portland Timbers
    Lower.com Field (1PM ET) on ESPN
    REF: Victor Rivas
    AR1: Brian Poeschel
    AR2: CJ Morgante
    4TH: Fotis Bazakos
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Tom Supple

D.C. United vs Inter Miami
    Audi Field (5PM ET)
    REF: Ismail Elfath
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Kyle Atkins
    4TH: Silviu Petrescu
    VAR: Pierre-Luc Lauziere
    AVAR: Mike Kampmeinert

Los Angeles FC vs Houston Dynamo
    Banc of California Stadium (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Kevin Stott
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Ian Anderson
    4TH: Alex Chilowicz
    VAR: Jair Marrufo
    AVAR: Rene Parra

2. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    early second half incident sent down for OFR - possible PK in SLC. Seemed like one of the softer OFR I have seen this year - Penso took a few seconds to say "nope". Will be very interesting to hear the Week in Review discuss this one.

First half also had a PK called back after an OFR - it seemed like a fairly marginal call but did not strike me as clearly and obviously wrong.

Ca va

3. Sharper

Sharper New Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    Aug 23, 2022
    Anyone else see the VAR review in the Charlotte FC v. Chicago Fire game tonight? What do you think, would you have called a foul there on the attacker and taken a goal away?

Looked like a non-call to me. Defender gets the ball first, but also initiated all the contact. Attacker was trying to dodge him. Wouldn't call a PK there if the sides were reversed. Certainly not enough there for a VAR review to call it after the fact.

4. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Not a great first half for Stott. Two missed penalties sent down to review, the first of which was annulled anyways because of a missed foul in the APP. The penalty he did catch in real time and the resulting SPA yellow were good calls.

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think this one will be interesting but I feel like PRO will side with Penso.

There were two aspects to this. It all hinges on the fact that Penso called an arm grab that turned the attacker around. First, any arm contact that he saw actually occurred outside the penalty area. So, at minimum, this was getting reviewed to change it to a DFK. Second, the contact was much softer than Penso must have thought (and what I thought in real-time, to be frank). Honestly, an argument could be made that the attacker simulated because his reaction to the contact was completely out of whack. He knew he didn't control the ball and wanted to create a scenario that looked like a penalty. In the end, nothing was really there and any contact was trifling. No foul was the right call. A yellow for simulation was probably too much, but I wouldn't say it was impossible here.

I wouldn't say the attacker was "trying to dodge him." He kicked where he thought the ball was/would be and kicked the defender instead. Now, with that said, I think it happened so fast that it was a 50/50 decision and agree that this isn't a clear foul in my book. At least not with the video evidence available. So I do think this is one where PRO will disagree with the outcome. I actually think when you put this up against the Chris Penso one above (the rejected OFR), PRO has an impossible task defending both outcomes. If this one with Tori Penso is enough to annul a goal, surely the one in Salt Lake was enough for a penalty. But I think PRO will go the other way around (not a penalty in Salt Lake, not enough for a goal taken off with Charlotte).

He really had zero chance of catching the handball, though. He's looking through two bodies before we are even talk about the player who handled and that player is square to the touch line and using his goal-side arm to handle. Stott quite literally couldn't see any of that.

The other one is more interesting. The foul that would have been a penalty was almost so late that you just don't expect it and can't be sure what you saw, perhaps. I think Stott will be more upset in missing the APP foul.

Sharper repped this.
  6. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    True, the second penalty would’ve been really difficult for most refs to see. It’s in that tough spot on the field and in a corner kick crowd.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also worth comparing this penalty to Zimmerman's last week, which PRO just said was wrongly given. What are the differences?

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very quiet week on the thread, I guess. Surprised this hasn't come up yet. Likely not something Elfath and crew wanted to deal with as the season winds down for them, but sounds like they handled it appropriately--at least given the description here and the reaction of the coaches. I'd also say that this is the sort of management that Elfath is really good at to begin with, so MLS is probably lucky he was there to work it all out.

https://sports.yahoo.com/taxi-fountas-dc-united-n-word-inter-miami-damion-lowe-014553715.html

StarTime and AlextheRef repped this.
  9. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it’s interesting to see that they reported nothing was noted by any of the officials in real time or by VAR. Does that mean there’s audio available for review as well? I imagine looking for an image on which they can read lips is fraught, to say the least.

Elfath seemed to be in a lousy position here but I suspect it helped immeasurably that Neville and Rooney were ManU and England teammates.

10. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    I didn’t even think about that, heh that’s a funny little dynamic in the coaching matchup.

11. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes - VAR can look for evidence of a red card offense, in this case abusive language. Obviously it doesn't mean they'll find it, but if there was clear video that's a red card you really wouldn't want missed.

12. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, I was just a little surprised they would be able to review the audio as well although I guess I shouldn't be

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things...

1) The audio would be limited. It's what you can pick up on the official's mics and what you might get via the broadcast. And the quality of what you can pick up on the officials' mics varies. So, limited.

2) Also note how Elfath phrased his answer. "They VAR and AVAR also didn't hear anything AND they did check the incident." So you can read that as "they didn't hear anything in real time" AND "they went back to look at the entire incident to see if they could identify a clear red card." I don't think he's 100% stating that they reviewed specific audio. I'd also note that his first sentence, about "no official" sort of covers the VAR aspect and makes the second sentence redundant, but I can see how it was useful to separate the on-field versus off-site officials. Also, these responses are basically written in crayon while you're sweating in the locker room, so it's not like you should expect perfect grammar and air-tight language.

SouthRef, StarTime and GlennAA11 repped this.
  14. A66C

A66C Member

N/A
    United States
    Jan 3, 2022
    09/24/22

San Jose Earthquakes vs LA Galaxy
    Stanford Stadium (10PM ET)
    REF: Alex Chilowicz
    AR1: Adam Garner
    AR2: Felisha Mariscal
    4TH: Victor Rivas
    VAR: Malik Badawi

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wrong.

AlextheRef repped this.
  16. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    I loved the conversation between Stott and Marrufo. Two guys that go waaaaaaaaay back.

AlextheRef repped this.
  17. A66C

A66C Member

N/A
    United States
    Jan 3, 2022
    09/27/22

Seattle Sounders vs FC Cincinnati
    Lumen Field (10PM ET)
    REF: Rubiel Vazquez
    AR1: Mike Rottersman
    AR2: Jeremy Hanson