2022 MLS Week 16 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by A66C, Jun 23, 2022.

1. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Ok well my opinion on that specific few seconds is it wasn't enough for a red card and I'll be surprised if it would be defended by many if it was given.

2. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Dujic did very well at his MLS debut and he's only 28!

3. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2022-6-28_10-56-10.png

Attached Files:

4. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Yeah that still image doesn't convince me. And I doubt you'll see him get a retroactive red card, but we'll see.

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, no chance you will. But again, for me it's not about what the league does. It's about what PRO thinks was proper, based on instruction.

And this is definitely a case where the still photo is almost irrelevant. That could be anything. It's the movement of the opponent's head that really has me asking the question here and you can only see that on video. There's a significant amount of force in this action and it's targeted at a dangerous area where we are supposed to have heightened awareness to player safety.

LampLighter repped this.
  6. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Alright fair enough.

7. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

Listening to the interaction between Saghafi and the VAR, I'm surprised he didn't think this was a slam dunk case of interfering with the line of vision with the goalkeeper. It seems to be consistent with other past examples where goals have disallowed.

8. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a pretty clear case of "obvious action".

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Two things I found interesting.

PRO does not opine on the misconduct on the DFK turned PK, only reciting what the R decided. Does that suggest they would prefer a red, or that there were differing opinions at PRO so they stayed silent?

On the sliding HB, I think we again have evidence that the language about natural position for what a player is doing, really doesn’t mean what the words say. The arm up when sliding is 100% natural—it’s right where you see arms when baseball players slide. What the words really mean, I think, is “a natural-ish position that soccer expects given the expectation to keep arms down and away when contesting for the ball.” (I’m totally OK with this being handling. But I don’t think it is if the language of the law is directly applied. I think we were better off when it was left at “deliberate.” But that does not mean I think IFAB should mess with it any more!)

10. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    On the penalty kick foul by the goalkeeper, I’m interested in hearing PRO’s opinion on whether or not this is DOGSO. I’m leaning yes, but could be convinced either way.

11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have fully expected an OFR for DOGSO if this was outside of the penalty area. Optically it worked out for the referee that he went yellow on the FK.

JasonMa repped this.
  12. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I suspect the referee thought that even without the player jumping through there was no way the GK was going to get anywhere near that shot since it hit side netting.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For it to be a DOGSO red it would have to be judged the GK didn't make a legitimate play on the ball right? Otherwise DOGSO in the box when making an attempt to play the ball is only a yellow now?

14. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Right, it would be a yellow card anyways, I’m just interested in it from a theoretical perspective.

JasonMa and MassachusettsRef repped this.