2022 MLS NEXT Cup June 25th-July3rd Frisco, TX

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by SUDano, Jun 24, 2022.

1. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I have no idea. Most of the top scorers in their age groups are in, plus kids regularly playing up. I’ve heard that it isn’t even club director recommendations so it’s a puzzling process

TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The roadblock here isn't players, or teams, it's consumer demand.

There's simply not enough people that want to pay to watch soccer to having a ton more professional, well paid teams.

I think the more likely route is affiliation. Should De Anza Force start a professional club, or should they just feed into the Quakes, Roots, etc. Yes, that's less pro spots, but like, at some point, the money for salaries needs to come from somewhere.

SUDano repped this.
  3. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    While I think you are right now, short term the growth of the game vs the growth of domestic talent will grow hand in hand. If Atlanta can attract 45K, Austin 25K, Nashville 30K etc in MLS why can't with better talent 10-17K be in 20 more markets like Detroit, Pittsburgh, OK City, Phoenix, Louisville, Indianapolis.
    We didn't know many of MLS teams would be successes until we made them real clubs, ..Again I think you are right and running an full academy is very expensive but just saying developing talented players can lead to crowds and significant transfer funds from DII teams too.

gogorath repped this.
  4. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of the clubs you mentioned bar PDA already have some sort of relationship with a pro club currently. Empire has been affiliated with Rochester NYFC/Rochester Rhinos of MLSNP; next season they're rebranding to be RNYFC Youth. Strikers have a pro first team currently in Cal United Strikers of NISA although they're supposedly up for sale. They have 4 u20-eligible guys on pro deals from their academy currently. De Anza seems to be friendly with Oakland Roots; Roots have used 5 De Anza players as amateurs through 3 years. Indiana Fire and Indy Eleven also have a friendly relationship; I counted 11 signed to amateur/academy deals with 1 pro deal in the space of 3.5 years. A combination of the Roots/Indy Eleven model and the Cal United/San Antonio FC model throughout the lower leagues would be ideal.

gogorath repped this.
  5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yeah, I think the USL cities can do well, but I don't see a ton of depth in terms of clubs in cities. Having like four clubs in a small area is going to divide demand and kill things off. So, that's why I think having FC Delco or De Anza Force starting their own pro club might not be the optimal move right now.

6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please don’t take the Detroit market away from me

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Lucas Moisa ('08) is starting to improve a lot. This guy is crazy talented for a #8. Really fun player to watch play.

I think he has a good chance to be what everyone hoped a few years ago that Pomykal would become with some extra flair.

Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    RSL and Inter Miami is the final in the U-15 division. Huge matchup. With respect to what LAFC has accomplished this year and prior years with their '07 group, we probably got the two teams that at their best play at the highest level in the U-15 division. Doesn't often happen in these playoff formats. Should be a great final.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 08 YNT is looking to be wildly loaded compared to other age groups. This age group looks to have minimal Covid impact and has numerous top talents in each position

SUDano, SCSAutism, Common Lurker and 2 others repped this.
  10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    DC United and Strikers FC are the final of the U-16 division. That DC team is really good, and I think would be the big favorites.

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  13. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this age group the next U-15 cycle? With the '09s?

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, that’s correct.

15. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    u14 cycle, even numbered cycles (u14/u16/u18/u20) belong to odd numbered age groups (2003/2005/2007/2009)

16. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I was talking about your reference to the '08 group being loaded. So they would be the next U-15 cycle, right?

17. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, their cycle begins this fall

18. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Great. Now I'm really pysched for the 2027 U20 World Cup. Fantastic.

gomichigan24, kba4life1 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need @ussoccer97531 to get us a projected roster! :p

Boysinblue, ussoccer97531 and gogorath repped this.
  20. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not very excited for that World Cup, 07’s aren’t very strong in my opinion

21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Strikers are really good too. They post on Youtube alot of their games and they are very good, well coaches, good players. They beat a U15 National Team camp game. Should be a good game.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think they have Marcus Lee (‘06) on that team. He’s played some with the first team, and hasn’t looked bad there. Should be a good final.

23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In any given year there’s a Southern California team that isn’t an MLS academy that’s absolutely loaded, this year’s edition is Strikers FC. Just what happens when you only have 2 MLS academies in a city with the talent to field 10 competitive MLS academies

SUDano, TheFalseNine and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    • Matthew Hoppe
    • Christian Ramirez
    • Bobby Wood
    • Michael Orozco
    • Steven Birnbaum
    • Chad Marsahll
    • Benny Feilhaber
    • Jonathan Bornstein
    • Chris Pontius

25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    And yet ... the success stories out of Southern Cal are largely in the past. I get Hoppe and Araujo recently ... but when Philadelphia is beating out Southern Cal, there's a problem...