2022 MLS NEXT Cup June 25th-July3rd Frisco, TX

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by SUDano, Jun 24, 2022.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Looking through some of the results (U-15 and U-16), almost all of the big favorites seem to have won their first round game. U-17 and U-19 starts tomorrow.

One team I wouldn't overlook in the U-15 division is LA Galaxy. 5-0 over FCC. FCC isn't that good, outside of a few players, but this is an underrated group for LAG. Five goal victories against MLS competition is always notable. I think some of the LAFC hype (and it's deserved for their U-15's) has taken away that LAG also has a good U-15 group.

Pl@ymaker, JDROD10 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have any idea how Cavan Sullivan played today? Or indeed if he played?

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anywhere to look up box scores or writeups?

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't, but I suspect he played. I believe I saw that they won 1-0.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If you look at this goal, the first or second player to go congratulate Rocio is almost certainly Sullivan (the other being Kellan LeBlanc).

Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  10. Another Chicago Fire Academy team grinding out results. They'll face the Galaxy tomorrow at 5:00.

Pl@ymaker, JDROD10 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. Husky13

Husky13 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 11, 2019
    Referees at these events need to display better judgment. Whipping out a red card for a garden variety foul by a keeper - when there was actually another defender back - early in a first round game can ruin the entire event for a team. The team survived in this case, but the keeper (Wyatt Nelson) gets to watch from the sideline.

12. Husky13

Husky13 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 11, 2019
    LAFC u15 bows out ….

Watched part of RSL vs Philly U15. Skill vs physicality+adrenalin. Skill won.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Gorky, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    #19 SUDano, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    Just some thoughts having watched all the live streamed matches.
    1st Game: MOTM RSL Z.Gozo super talented has room to grow physically and soccer wise. Does things at a top level, tries tricks that aren't tricks for him but provides impact to his game. Took a ball off his chest in the box then acted like he was going to use his instep to go one way but went under the ball to use the outside of his foot to softly lay the ball to his strong shooting foot and fired a hard shot and ball was saved. Had 2 goals too. He does seem like a player that can get bored and drop from games but not in this one. RSL also had 2-3 other good players but couldn't tell them apart. Except for a Jude Welling look alike who was solid too. All of them were same height, build, movement and skill but didn't have time to look them up, Gottschee lost 3-1 and wasn't close. No one on their team stood out.
    2nd Game: Atlanta United vs Balt. Armour. Thought Armour had some solid college level talent but United was better despite just 1-0 score. Thought Malachi Davis for Atlanta was very good even before Golazo at the whistle. Looks like a George Bello type and just knew what move or pass to make without panicking. I don't know how much more to his game but he's good now. I also liked #48 for Atlanta United. DM who probably isn't a top pro prospect but I'm partial to players who just have a nice touch, makes alot of good decisions and moves the team forward. But then again he was playing against 10 men for 70 minutes.

TheFalseNine and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Lucas Moisa. He’s also an ‘08, so playing up an age group.

The first time I didn’t know who he was I used the same type of description as you. I think I termed him a mini-Wellings.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    8 teams left in the U-17 division are Inter Miami, Austin FC, NYRB, Sacramento Republic, Chicago Fire, RSL, SKC, and LAG. No big surprises among who is left. Sacramento Republic is the only non-MLS team, and they’ve been discussed all season as probably the best non-MLS academy in the U-15 division. I would probably say Inter Miami and RSL are the favorites, but I would not underestimate NYRB or LAG.

Only partial surprise I see after the first round of U-17 games is that Orlando beat Miami, but that Miami team is missing two of their best players away at the CONCACAF U-20 Qualifying, so it was going to be tough for them to pose a big threat and that Orlando team is underrated. Not too big of a surprise.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  21. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    u17 FC Delco just upset Seattle to move on to the final 8.. Delco made the semis last year in the u16 bracket

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    I think you meant u15..

ussoccer97531 and Gorky repped this.
  23. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    If you're unaware, Delco is about 5 miles from the Union academy. I wouldn't call them the Union 'B' team but obviously anyone at Delco would jump at the chance to play for the Union. So kudos to their players and coaches for putting together such a strong team.

ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Didn't realize a Luca Moisa could be a carrot top. Nice player. What are your thoughts on Gozo..I was super impressed for 2nd time I've seen him in a full 90 game.