2022 MLS Jersey Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Darkwing McQuack, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ok, can someone tell me in all reality just WTF the league decided to use these sh*ty jerseys. First, I'm talking about the above white jersey half the league wore. They are a horrible color. I watched several MLS matches this past weekend and every single commentator mentioned how you cannot see the names or numbers on these jerseys. They are worthless. They are also replicas of Atlanta's 2017 white jerseys. While the blue version pops on the television screen, this white version is just garbage.

VioletCrown repped this.
  2. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yes, but having half the league wear jerseys where you cannot see the players names or numbers, come on! FAIL on the part of the league to approve these abdominal jerseys.

3. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    No that is not correct. I heard several broadcasters mention why teams were wearing these jerseys and talk about the impact the league hopes to have with these jerseys. I get your point that MLS does not promote these jerseys or the cause they represent. They promote them when they can make money off them.

4. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Whitecaps introducing a Musqueam themed logo. Won't be on the jersey's though but on separate merchandise.

Frankly, I would love for that to be the permanent logo.

Ismitje, sitruc, AlbertCamus and 7 others repped this.
  5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm right there with you. When I heard about the kits (from here) I went to the MLS website and couldn't find anything about it. I kept checking and didn't see anything until the day before the games. If this was such a big deal, there should've been something front and center on the MLS website at least a week ahead of time.

If it's not obviously there, you're not really promoting it.

And, yeah, that was an embarrassing failure on the white kit numbers/letters/logos. Not a good advertisement for your company at all.

6. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well, the only game I watched was the national broadcast of the Seattle-Charlotte match on FS1, and there was no discussion of the jerseys whatsoever.

7. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well that was a failure of those broadcasters. The DC United commentators, New England commentators and the Inter Miami commentators all mentioned the cause and impact they have.

8. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That would be awesome!

9. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It feels like a really good idea that was really poorly executed.

JasonMa repped this.
  10. BlackandRedForever

DC united
    Scotland
    Jul 4, 2021
    It's actually a dumb idea poorly executed.

Just make the regular kits from recycled whatever and be done with it. It's really idiotic to highlight the wastefullness of single use plastics by making a single use kit.

11. TheEmperor14

TheEmperor14 BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The regular kits are already all made of recycled materials. This is supposed to focus on pulling plastic out of the oceans. Evidently that doesn't come across.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  12. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I agree! I believe that the USMNT jerseys are already made from recycled material.

13. BlackandRedForever

DC united
    Scotland
    Jul 4, 2021
    No it doesn't come across. Just make a big freaking deal all season long that the shirts are made from recycled materials if you must.

I think a more meaningful push by the league would be to reduce their own use of single use containers. That is something that would be worthwhile.

14. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First 2023 jersey/kit leak is already here. Can't remember the last time something leaked this far in advance of an upcoming season. I like it for them- sure, there's RBNY vibes with the white shirt/red shorts but with so many teams in the league it's impossible for one to 'own' any look and the navy numbers/accents help it stand apart. Source

[​IMG]

15. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So I purchased the authentic Austin FC second jersey from World Soccer Shop. Received the jersey, but no MLS patch. I thought all authentic jerseys had the MLS patch. Anyone know.

17. TheEmperor14

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With MLS now allowing sleeve sponsors the jerseys do not automatically come with MLS crests on the sleeve. It depends on the retailor selling it and how they each manage it.
    Fanatics/MLS store.com only apply MLS crests to the authentics. Soccer.com does name and number but no crests or sponsors. Dicks sporting goods doesn't do anything to allow customization.

Dan Kohner repped this.
  18. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    All I got was the jock tag, which for Austin FC is the moon tower and the 21/22 authentic patch. Interesting that MLS does not regulate one standard.

19. TheEmperor14

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Replicas get 1 on jersey trim - Jock tag, back neck or inside neck. Authentics get 2 of the those 2. All are left to the Club to decide the art and which ones they want.

There is too much variability with if MLS will sell sleeve sponsors or not and what each individual retail store can or can't do. I don't see anyone mandating that things must be sold a certain way.

Dan Kohner repped this.
  20. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So instead of an MLS patch you got a ManWipes sponsor logo? Bummer, lol.