PBP: 2022 Match Day #5: Union v. Charlotte FC, April 2, 2022 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Mar 27, 2022.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. Charlotte

Poll closed Apr 2, 2022.
  1. Win

100.0%
  2. Loss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cwelch999

cwelch999 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OldRetiredCoach, sentrido and Yo-Joe repped this.
  2. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should be a dominant victory.

Union 3 - 1 Charlotte.

LiverpoolFanatic and Handsome Pete repped this.
  3. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Gonna miss this one since I'm out west on vacation but saw Curtin's Pressing points article about facing 2 strikers for 60 min then facing 2 fresh ones at 60 minutes. Hopefully we will be so far ahead by that time he'll be subbing off players over 30 and subbing on teenagers

4. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels like a win. Forgot Charlotte had a team.

cwelch999 repped this.
  5. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It better be. I want to see goals. Lots of Union goals.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  6. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union could've gotten more goals but took their foot off the gas a bit.

Uhre will score goals, yes he could've had one in each of the games he appeared in, but the fact that the guy clearly is able to slip behind defenders with his skill and his speed allows him to separate tells me that when he gets going, he'll get GOING.

Glad to see Gazdag starting to play like the player we'd hoped he be.

7. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That went how I expected it to.

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Professional. Didn't get out of first gear, and Charlotte barely threatened.

Santos picking up a hammy injury the only sour spot. On the bright side....the Union have actual depth at striker now. Carranza looks like a completely different player then he did while he was at Miami.

9. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/powe...r-new-england-revolution-plummet-after-week-5

Union still #1 in the power rankings. What cracks me up is how the Union beat a team 2-0 and they go up 3 spots in the power rankings.

I'm still not used to this. This still feels like a fever dream. If you travelled in time back to 2015 and showed me a brief history of the Union from 2019-2022, I would have simply laughed at how absurd it was. Supporters Shield within 5 years? Yeah, sure. A team with legitimately no holes in the the starting XI? Ha ha. Not with broke ass Sugarman and clearly-in-over-his-head Sakiewicz in charge!

sentrido, OldRetiredCoach and cwelch999 repped this.
  10. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I am often struck by the notion that when discussing recent players good or bad form that holy sh!t if we had these guys back in the day they would probably be union legends.

11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more struck in how most of the Soccer media still don't believe in this team, and are surprised at the results they have been getting. Sure a few of MLS' website personalities have slowly come around, but they still downplay the Union. Maybe due to their "lack of name players?" The Union have earned more total points than any team in MLS over the last 3 seasons.

It could also just be the lack of knowledgeable soccer media in our country as well. Most in the media don't know/realize just how deep the Union truly are. This years team may not win the shield, but IMO it's better than the 2020 team.

Two years ago if Bedoya missed a game, it'd be doomsday for the Union. Or if Blake was out, etc. Now, it's just next player up. We as fans have been critical of M'Baizo (rightfully so), yet he's still called up to the Cameroonian National Team and will likely play at the World Cup in Qatar. He's a sub now....

The Union are FOUR deep at striker?!?!?!? I can't wait for the games that they bring Sergio in as a sub in the 60-65' to run at tired legs. Or hell, when Uhre gets fully settled.....anyone else see a more talented version of LeToux when he's been on the field (albeit in very limited minutes)?

We already know that the defense isn';t going to give up more than one goal very often. They're always in games.

I say just enjoy this. We've earned it after so many years of drek and hopelessness.

12. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halcyon days for the Union.